Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneControl Beta release - livestream with remote control

DroneControl

Reactions
Site
www.dronecontrol.co

Overview​

fyni710qrDYbLlx9RuaaSzUiNHGVh8cCQAZJ-_jT4DIDPxcLsphQkA5cv4Ko-jvhe60Y158gcBR97-GRlxW4woULRVj_NjhJu_kjvkfUM-k-b2CHGodm1IB1r-6YFkBqAsUPFPla

I would like to present our project that we’ve been working on for the past year. It's a control app called DroneControl, developed using official DJI SDK together with their new UX SDK. It basically enables you as a drone operator to start a livestream session to anyone in the World and even let them take control of the drone. The viewer doesn’t need any third party app, as it works via any modern Web browser. While it works best for single viewers, it does support multiple viewers though bandwidth/CPU limitations apply in those cases. Current state of the app is BETA (Android only), which means that there might be some bugs. See below sections on how to join the BETA program if interested.

For more information on the overall application and service see the official page.

Ultra low latency live streaming and remote control​

As mentioned above, the main functionality of the app is to livestream video with ultra low latency (below 1s) and let your viewers take control of the drone flight or gimbal camera. As the viewer simply accesses it via Web App (e.g. live channel), there is no requirement from the viewer to download another app. When the viewer joins the live stream via weblink, by default it will only see video, while remote flight and gimbal control will be disabled. Those can be controlled via a separate config page, where the main drone operator can enable/disable remote control for each viewer separately. There is also a safety mechanism put in place, where the drone owner just needs to move physical joysticks to immediately take back control of the drone (more on that security feature below).
QQVmdPQo9a4iGnjwnmhRlQLXq4aBYMMzZqb2yHXVmeAiqEcIDa7fQXqqmTA935fGJEXEt3VVOeZF_Zv0maYi6RmsX2U-fII99nwo6F6r-_oejkrCPS0KVGTfErdiqY0T4BMbdPBz

Security feature - immediately cut drone control from the viewer​

We felt that some users would be uneasy relinquishing control of the drone to someone that is perhaps thousands of kilometers away laying on their couch, therefore have come up with the following solution. As the feature page for controlling drone control is accessible via additional tap, we’ve decided to implement a gesture where the drone owner can take back control of the drone immediately without any hassle of looking up in the app. It’s done by slightly moving any of the physical joysticks. It’s most useful when the owner feels the viewer is doing something dangerous (i.e. in the path of hitting something) and therefore needs to react in a split second.

Remote control from viewer​

Drone owners can either enable remote flight control or gimbal camera control. When flight control is enabled, viewer can control the drone by either:
  • Moving virtual joysticks by touch control
  • Moving virtual joysticks with mouse
  • If the viewer has an Xbox/PS controller connected to the PC, then virtual joysticks disappear and the viewer can then control it via Xbox/PS controller joysticks.
  • There is also a control sensitivity slider option, where the owner can control how fast the drone can fly for the viewer.

Same applies for gimbal camera control, except that virtual joystick is not present until the user touches/clicks anywhere on the screen.
dzzOjVVeOtS5L3zJuoKbH872rvqBIRo4-h7NJJYZtjgYwmCyctfyIh9wnHD5X0YFM-0DgNiG1L0nWcPppx0GNxxHlSxG7GgLWLUyXBrqVbdHDWtfpyOoR09cvatCt67tlu4b6jHr

Beta program (Android only)​

If you are interested in trying this app and therefore providing some feedback (which we would be very grateful), you’ll need to register for the BETA release here. Though currently we only have an Android app available. As this is a controlled BETA release, you will receive an email from us with links to download the app via official Google Play Store. Currently we’ve limited BETA release subscribers size to 100 people. As an early tester, you’ll have 200minutes of streaming assigned. This limitation exists due to server costs that still get incurred even though using WebRTC stack (more on technology stack below for those interested).

Supported drones​

Almost all DJI drones except the ones that have not yet been officially supported in the SDK, which are:

There might be some video quality issues when streaming when using DJI Mavic 2 (Zoom/Pro) due to unique lenses and special handling required in the software to get the video feed. Also for best experience we recommend using higher range smartphone processors due to high CPU usage when processing video stream.

Usage​

For more information please check “How it works section” on our official page.

Technology​

As we’re using WebRTC, it allows us to stream video and send control data with ultra low latency (sub 1second). For comparison, streaming via YouTube via ultra low latency option still incurs around 2 second latency. To enable viewers to control the drone from thousands of kilometers away, we needed a streaming solution with lowest possible latency to enable great user experience. As you’ll experience when trying the app, the remote control feels quite natural without any delays whatsoever. Unfortunately this is also the reason for the relatively low number of viewers that can join a channel. As WebRTC is a P2P solution (servers are required only for initial handshaking between two devices), each viewer consumes some bandwidth. As DJI drones usually support around 1080p video resolution, this means around 4Mbps for each viewer.

Feedback​

We welcome anyone to provide us some feedback either via reply on this post, or they can contact us online via our contact form or via our email [email protected]. The app itself contains a feedback survey that will be shown after the user finishes the first streaming session.

Overview​

fyni710qrDYbLlx9RuaaSzUiNHGVh8cCQAZJ-_jT4DIDPxcLsphQkA5cv4Ko-jvhe60Y158gcBR97-GRlxW4woULRVj_NjhJu_kjvkfUM-k-b2CHGodm1IB1r-6YFkBqAsUPFPla

I would like to present our project that we’ve been working on for the past year. It's a control app called DroneControl, developed using official DJI SDK together with their new UX SDK. It basically enables you as a drone operator to start a livestream session to anyone in the World and even let them take control of the drone. The viewer doesn’t need any third party app, as it works via any modern Web browser. While it works best for single viewers, it does support multiple viewers though bandwidth/CPU limitations apply in those cases. Current state of the app is BETA (Android only), which means that there might be some bugs. See below sections on how to join the BETA program if interested.

For more information on the overall application and service see the official page.

Ultra low latency live streaming and remote control​

As mentioned above, the main functionality of the app is to livestream video with ultra low latency (below 1s) and let your viewers take control of the drone flight or gimbal camera. As the viewer simply accesses it via Web App (e.g. live channel), there is no requirement from the viewer to download another app. When the viewer joins the live stream via weblink, by default it will only see video, while remote flight and gimbal control will be disabled. Those can be controlled via a separate config page, where the main drone operator can enable/disable remote control for each viewer separately. There is also a safety mechanism put in place, where the drone owner just needs to move physical joysticks to immediately take back control of the drone (more on that security feature below).
QQVmdPQo9a4iGnjwnmhRlQLXq4aBYMMzZqb2yHXVmeAiqEcIDa7fQXqqmTA935fGJEXEt3VVOeZF_Zv0maYi6RmsX2U-fII99nwo6F6r-_oejkrCPS0KVGTfErdiqY0T4BMbdPBz

Security feature - immediately cut drone control from the viewer​

We felt that some users would be uneasy relinquishing control of the drone to someone that is perhaps thousands of kilometers away laying on their couch, therefore have come up with the following solution. As the feature page for controlling drone control is accessible via additional tap, we’ve decided to implement a gesture where the drone owner can take back control of the drone immediately without any hassle of looking up in the app. It’s done by slightly moving any of the physical joysticks. It’s most useful when the owner feels the viewer is doing something dangerous (i.e. in the path of hitting something) and therefore needs to react in a split second.

Remote control from viewer​

Drone owners can either enable remote flight control or gimbal camera control. When flight control is enabled, viewer can control the drone by either:
  • Moving virtual joysticks by touch control
  • Moving virtual joysticks with mouse
  • If the viewer has an Xbox/PS controller connected to the PC, then virtual joysticks disappear and the viewer can then control it via Xbox/PS controller joysticks.
  • There is also a control sensitivity slider option, where the owner can control how fast the drone can fly for the viewer.

Same applies for gimbal camera control, except that virtual joystick is not present until the user touches/clicks anywhere on the screen.
dzzOjVVeOtS5L3zJuoKbH872rvqBIRo4-h7NJJYZtjgYwmCyctfyIh9wnHD5X0YFM-0DgNiG1L0nWcPppx0GNxxHlSxG7GgLWLUyXBrqVbdHDWtfpyOoR09cvatCt67tlu4b6jHr

Beta program (Android only)​

If you are interested in trying this app and therefore providing some feedback (which we would be very grateful), you’ll need to register for the BETA release here. Though currently we only have an Android app available. As this is a controlled BETA release, you will receive an email from us with links to download the app via official Google Play Store. Currently we’ve limited BETA release subscribers size to 100 people. As an early tester, you’ll have 200minutes of streaming assigned. This limitation exists due to server costs that still get incurred even though using WebRTC stack (more on technology stack below for those interested).

Supported drones​

Almost all DJI drones except the ones that have not yet been officially supported in the SDK, which are:

There might be some video quality issues when streaming when using DJI Mavic 2 (Zoom/Pro) due to unique lenses and special handling required in the software to get the video feed. Also for best experience we recommend using higher range smartphone processors due to high CPU usage when processing video stream.

Usage​

For more information please check “How it works section” on our official page.

Technology​

As we’re using WebRTC, it allows us to stream video and send control data with ultra low latency (sub 1second). For comparison, streaming via YouTube via ultra low latency option still incurs around 2 second latency. To enable viewers to control the drone from thousands of kilometers away, we needed a streaming solution with lowest possible latency to enable great user experience. As you’ll experience when trying the app, the remote control feels quite natural without any delays whatsoever. Unfortunately this is also the reason for the relatively low number of viewers that can join a channel. As WebRTC is a P2P solution (servers are required only for initial handshaking between two devices), each viewer consumes some bandwidth. As DJI drones usually support around 1080p video resolution, this means around 4Mbps for each viewer.

Feedback​

We welcome anyone to provide us some feedback either via reply on this post, or they can contact us online via our contact form or via our email [email protected]. The app itself contains a feedback survey that will be shown after the user finishes the first streaming session.
Whelp… best of fortune in the app. It sounds truly great. Many awesome options. I’ll watch if you go Apple. Godspeed Droniac

Reactions: DroneControl
Yes, unfortunately we don't have the iOS version available at the moment. After the BETA version and gathered feedback from the testers we'll evaluate if we shall develop it.
I’ll keep my eyes open. Sounds like a winner. Imo. Godspeed Droniac

Just got the beta installed on my Android device. Can't wait to try it out this weekend! Thanks for sharing with this community.

Just got the beta installed on my Android device. Can't wait to try it out this weekend! Thanks for sharing with this community.
Great, looking forward to your feedback. Also noticed in your signature DJI Mavic Air/Air 2. Though we didn't manage to test with these particular models, they should work properly.

Great, looking forward to your feedback. Also noticed in your signature DJI Mavic Air/Air 2. Though we didn't manage to test with these particular models, they should work properly.

Just got back from a quick test and it seems to work great on my Mavic Air 2. My "viewer" said the quality was really good, and I liked the 2-way voice communication. We didn't test full remote control, but my viewer was able to control the gimbal without a problem. I look forward to testing this more and will update with any further feedback. (I'll also try using my original Mavic Air if I get a chance, but I don't fly with that model often these days)

Just got back from a quick test and it seems to work great on my Mavic Air 2. My "viewer" said the quality was really good, and I liked the 2-way voice communication. We didn't test full remote control, but my viewer was able to control the gimbal without a problem. I look forward to testing this more and will update with any further feedback. (I'll also try using my original Mavic Air if I get a chance, but I don't fly with that model often these days)
Nice to hear that! Let me know how the remote control functionality works when you get a chance to try it out. Just make sure that you are out in the open without any obstacles around when giving it a first try.

I downloaded the app to try it out, but limited subscription model, that's me out.

I downloaded the app to try it out, but limited subscription model, that's me out.
Hello!

Sorry to hear that! We still have 30min per month of streaming for free, which resets on the 1st of each month.Would you prefer if there was option to just outright buy streaming minutes?

Reactions: Droniac
Reactions: Droniac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803