DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronelink Hobbyist Premium or Basic for MA2 - A few questions for you more experienced pilots!

AnDronioBanderos

Reactions
Hi All

I'm looking to try Dronelink for use with my MA2 as I've read and watched loads on it and it looks incredibly powerful, maybe too powerful :eek:. Also, the fact you pay once and can use it on iOS and Android, is pretty sweet.

The pricing plans seem a bit confusing a looks like they changed them since I researched it a few months ago.

Is the Premium at $40 worth it over Basic in the Hobbyist plans?

$40 seems good value anyway when you can use it on both platforms.

Does it work in Beta with the MA2?

Litchi looks like a good option also but its a pain having to pay 24.99 on each platform. I'll probably end up buying it on iOS or Android though.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
As long as you don’t want waypoints with your MA2.

Thanks Maelstrom,

Dronelink plans seem pretty confusing but I like that you can use it on iOS and Android as I use both

But Litchi is a straight forward purchase and no mixed plans to select from. Im guessing most pilots end up buying both in the long run :)

I bought Dronelink as soon as it supported the Mini and it works well but does have a steep learning curve. I bought Litchi when it was on sale last year and had expected that it would have supported waypoints by now.

Reactions: AnDronioBanderos
I bought Dronelink as soon as it supported the Mini and it works well but does have a steep learning curve. I bought Litchi when it was on sale last year and had expected that it would have supported waypoints by now.

I ended up buying the Premium hobbyist plan for dronelink and wow, such a load of features to learn.

Update on android today has added more features and support for the MA2.

Also ended up buying Litchi as well :eek:

Reactions: pelagic_one
i got dronelink a week ago,its a lot to learn and at first i thought wow ,but after a few evenings learning it becomes a lot clearer ,watch all the dronelink 101 series on youtube they help a lot.
its a very powerful and clever bit of kit.

Reactions: AnDronioBanderos
The reason for waypoint mission support from Litchi is taking longer than for Maven or DroneLink is Litchi is having to add code for "virtual sticks" like the other two apps are using. Up until the Mini and MA2 were released previous DJI aircraft supported the uploading of waypoint mission commands to the aircraft. Once the mission started the aircraft would run the mission autonomously. A loss of connection to the RC would not interrupt the mission. With the MIni and MA2 "virtual sticks" will have to be implemented in order to carry out waypoint missions in Litchi. But unlike previous aircraft using Litichi the "virtual sticks" option will require communications between the RC and aircraft throughout the waypoint mission, otherwise the mission will fail.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The reason for waypoint mission support from Litchi is taking longer than for Maven or DroneLink is Litchi is having to add code for "virtual sticks" like the other two apps are using. Up until the Mini and MA2 were released previous DJI aircraft supported the uploading of waypoint mission commands to the aircraft. Once the mission started the aircraft would run the mission autonomously. A loss of connection to the RC would not interrupt the mission. With the MIni and MA2 "virtual sticks" will have to be implemented in order to carry out waypoint missions in Litchi. But unlike previous aircraft using Litichi the "virtual sticks" option will require communications between the RC and aircraft throughout the waypoint mission, otherwise the mission will fail.
well i would sincerely hope i would never lose connection between the RC and the aircraft at all with or without using dronelink litchi or even the dji app.if i did the worsecase scenario should be RTH so no biggie using virtual sicks as far as i can see.unless i am missing something,i am a very new dronelink user and it seems a very powerful program and have a lot more to it than some or the others about currently.

well i would sincerely hope i would never lose connection between the RC and the aircraft at all with or without using dronelink litchi or even the dji app.if i did the worsecase scenario should be RTH so no biggie using virtual sicks as far as i can see.unless i am missing something,i am a very new dronelink user and it seems a very powerful program and have a lot more to it than some or the others about currently.
It's a mute point since the only way to implement waypoint missions for the Mini and MA2 is through "virtual sticks". So it won't matter which app you use they will all suffer a failed mission upon loss of comm between the RC and aircraft.

Here's an example of how a "virtual stick" waypoint mission can fail by an obstruction which wasn't taken into account when the mission was planned.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
It's a mute point since the only way to implement waypoint missions for the Mini and MA2 is through "virtual sticks". So it won't matter which app you use they will all suffer a failed mission upon loss of comm between the RC and aircraft.

Here's an example of how a "virtual stick" waypoint mission can fail by an obstruction which wasn't taken into account when the mission was planned.

Yes i saw that the other day but surely if the pilot flew in the same position using the fly app then it would be the same outcome ? virtual sticks or not ? at least if signal is lost on the latest drones they will RTH, so no harm done ,the mission can be re flown maybe with some adjustments ,i managed over 6km on a test flight out in the country with my MA2 and only turned back as i did not think i would have enough battery (landed with 19% in the end) this was last summer when i was testing the MA2,ive found the ocusync 2.0 to be awesome .
im guessing if it was using waypoints it would be onboard the aircraft itself so would complete the mission using its own gps i am not too sure ?

Yes i saw that the other day but surely if the pilot flew in the same position using the fly app then it would be the same outcome ? virtual sticks or not ? at least if signal is lost on the latest drones they will RTH, so no harm done ,the mission can be re flown maybe with some adjustments ,i managed over 6km on a test flight out in the country with my MA2 and only turned back as i did not think i would have enough battery (landed with 19% in the end) this was last summer when i was testing the MA2,ive found the ocusync 2.0 to be awesome .
im guessing if it was using waypoints it would be onboard the aircraft itself so would complete the mission using its own gps i am not too sure ?
But if the pilot had flown with the Litchi app the same waypoint mission would not have failed due to interference from the water tower since Litchi uploads the mission commands to the Mavic Pro. It then knows how to complete the mission with or without communicating with the controller. I'm just pointing out the limitations of "virtual sticks" which are the same as manual control. And with the Mini/MA2 "virtual sticks" is currently the only option for controlling waypoint missions.

But if the pilot had flown with the Litchi app the same waypoint mission would not have failed due to interference from the water tower since Litchi uploads the mission commands to the Mavic Pro. It then knows how to complete the mission with or without communicating with the controller. I'm just pointing out the limitations of "virtual sticks" which are the same as manual control. And with the Mini/MA2 "virtual sticks" is currently the only option for controlling waypoint missions.
good point will they get proper waypoints on the MA2 ?

good point will they get proper waypoints on the MA2 ?
No, the MA2 is stuck with having to utilize "virtual sticks" for waypoint missions due to a "memory issue" being reported by DJI Development. Perhaps latter DJI can fix this and add waypoint missions within the Fly app. Even if DJI is able to add waypoint mission I still like Litchi Mission Planner web portal to plan and share videos of missions with others and from the videos I have seen DroneLink also has a Mission Planner web portal as well. Whichever direction you go, a Mission Planner web portal makes planning and testing easier than trying to do it on a phone or tablet.

1611874665417.png

Hi All

I'm looking to try Dronelink for use with my MA2 as I've read and watched loads on it and it looks incredibly powerful, maybe too powerful :eek:. Also, the fact you pay once and can use it on iOS and Android, is pretty sweet.

The pricing plans seem a bit confusing a looks like they changed them since I researched it a few months ago.

Is the Premium at $40 worth it over Basic in the Hobbyist plans?

$40 seems good value anyway when you can use it on both platforms.

Does it work in Beta with the MA2?

Litchi looks like a good option also but its a pain having to pay 24.99 on each platform. I'll probably end up buying it on iOS or Android though.

Sorry for the long post.
I have been using Litchi for many years with everything from the Obsidian, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Pro, and Mini 2. I would suggest Litchi for support, ease of use and many features that the other apps do not have. I can attest that their support will answer your questions within an hour or so and they are the only company I have dealt with that does this. Litchi also updates their software as soon as DJI releases the SDK which is pretty much unheard of with the others. There is no such thing as to powerful, you pay for it, demand everything that they give you for the money. Good luck and download Litchi, sign up for the Beta version if you intend on using it with the Mavic Air as it is the only version that works (release just a few weeks ago) 4.19.0
Good Luck

I ended up buying the Premium hobbyist plan for dronelink and wow, such a load of features to learn.

Update on android today has added more features and support for the MA2.

Also ended up buying Litchi as well :eek:
I just today went to buy Dronelink for use with my MA2 and it tells me right in the purchase process "The DJI Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 are not supported yet." I see in other places on this and other forums that they have it in beta, but I'm not sure whether that is available to me or not.

I'm having a heck of a time with this most basic of requests - I want to fly programmable/repeatable waypoint missions for a very specific use, using Android only. I'm fine with "virtual sticks". It sounds like Maven is only on Apple, Litchi doesn't support the MA2 even with virtual sticks, and *maybe* DroneLink works but only in beta which maybe I can get if I buy the app?

I just today went to buy Dronelink for use with my MA2 and it tells me right in the purchase process "The DJI Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 are not supported yet." I see in other places on this and other forums that they have it in beta, but I'm not sure whether that is available to me or not.

I'm having a heck of a time with this most basic of requests - I want to fly programmable/repeatable waypoint missions for a very specific use, using Android only. I'm fine with "virtual sticks". It sounds like Maven is only on Apple, Litchi doesn't support the MA2 even with virtual sticks, and *maybe* DroneLink works but only in beta which maybe I can get if I buy the app?
They seem to be having an issue with crashing but Jim said they have pinned it down so there will probably be another update soon. The 64 bit is the one you would install.
How do I install the beta native app?

But if the pilot had flown with the Litchi app the same waypoint mission would not have failed due to interference from the water tower since Litchi uploads the mission commands to the Mavic Pro. It then knows how to complete the mission with or without communicating with the controller. I'm just pointing out the limitations of "virtual sticks" which are the same as manual control.
Worth pointing out again that an autonomous waypoint mission, where the drone continues the mission when it’s out of contact with the RC, is illegal in most countries without a special waiver.

Another thing to consider is that apps like Dronelink offer far more programming options during waypoint missions than are available with drones which store the mission internally.

Last edited:
MA2 reacts poorly right now with the Litchi App. The Litchi App is missing way points for the MA2 until the next SDK comes out from useless DJI. Also, You don't need to do anything to get the Beta version of Litchi once you pay and download the regular app except sign up for the Beta and it downloads when you are on wifi with your email address. I have been flying the Litchi app for 10 years with DJI but have moved to Autel Evo as it has a lot more power, features, and no NFZ restrictions. Good Luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji