DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones and commercial deliveries- UPS is onboard now

Pontoon-pilot

Reactions
I received this bulletin from UPS today.
I find it interesting that FAA NCDOT is involved in managing it. but never heard from drone manufacturer Matternet.
Amazon was promising drone deliveries, now UPS is catching on. How long before small packages will be dropped off at our front door via drones.

Drones! Yes, drones.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is here. If you are having blood drawn at the WakeMed hospital in Raleigh, North Carolina, a drone will fly the vial across campus for testing. These drones can fly at speeds up to 43mph and carry payloads up to five pounds. If the weather isn't perfect, no big deal ‒ these drones can handle moderate winds, rain and snow.

Who is running this program?
UPS, in collaboration with drone manufacturer Matternet, the FAA and the NCDOT will manage this new program. A specially trained Matternet Remote Pilot-in-Command and UPS airline personnel will monitor the drone while it flies along a predetermined GPS-led flight path.

How much time does this save?
Previously, WakeMed was using courier cars to move blood samples across campus. Drones can make the trip in less than five minutes.​

Reactions: mereflyer
I'll be interested to see how the potential for conflicts with aircraft flying below 400 feet is handled.

It will be interesting to see when Walmart will race towards the finish line to be #1.
Walmart will get 200 feet, Amazon 300 feet, UPS 250 feet AGL dedicated... or not.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rle