DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones at the PGA Tournament

Mr. Noob

Reactions
1D13F89E-1208-445E-BFB6-CB60FDF2DA92.jpeg
They’re being used this weekend, and I was trying to find out which ones, but this is all I could find. The ones this weekend seem extremely quiet.

I did know that you could video tape anyone via a drone?
I thought that the FAA put a hold on things on April 21st, until after they put the drones in a category.

I would also like to know if you can still video tape crowds, individuals, groups etc.? and how? I did not think you could get a waiver?

I thought that the FAA put a hold on things on April 21st, until after they put the drones in a category.

I would also like to know if you can still video tape crowds, individuals, groups etc.? and how? I did not think you could get a waiver?
There were only 10,000 fans admitted each day. Pretty small for a PGA major tournament. Still certain crowds could be considered open air assembly. That said, a lot depends on who you are. Me wanting to film over a crowded wedding, no. PGA and television networks with lots of money for television, Yes!

Reactions: sparksalive

I think you're confusing things here a bit.

Nothing was put on hold at all. In fact the opposite happened in April with the new Online Training/Testing for Part 107 which now allows "limited" Operations Over People/Traffic (if you meet the requirements) and Night Flight w/o a waiver.

If you'll watch their video feed you'll see they are very careful to not film/fly directly "over" the crowds. They are very specific about where/how they fly. None of the UAS they are flying will be "OOP" worthy until RID goes into effect in 2023 at best.

Reactions: GFields
Thanks for sharing!

Actually, I was trying to find out what drones were being used at the tourney this past weekend in South Carolina, which had a pretty good crowd, and the only thing that came up was about the Masters. I’m the OP. Never did get an answer. Reason for my question was, they were so quiet even as close as some were unless they had telephoto lens and were 400 ft out plus. I can hear my mini at 300 ft away and 200+ alt.

the drones were not allowed over crowd (or within 30m as per FAA). Kiawah unique with the beach so the drones worked the holes up and down the beach using a zoom and anything close that looked like a drone shot was via the spider (camera on strings)

Actually, I was trying to find out what drones were being used at the tourney this past weekend in South Carolina, which had a pretty good crowd, and the only thing that came up was about the Masters. I’m the OP. Never did get an answer. Reason for my question was, they were so quiet even as close as some were unless they had telephoto lens and were 400 ft out plus. I can hear my mini at 300 ft away and 200+ alt.
They aren't (most probably) a brand. Your mini isn't built to be quiet, it's built to do a multitude of things. These are home builds with larger props for quiet, short flights, to just pop up and get the shot and downlink it to sub ground station to broadcast live. They probably have a very short flight time and are job oriented to do their mission. They probably cost in the thousands of dollars as well, not that they need to be, but broadcast stations have deep pockets..kinda like the govenment who buys those $2000 Ace hardware class hammers :p

Reactions: Mr. Noob

There is also a waiver you can get to fly over large crowds. As always go to the source, in this case the FAA:

• Category 3 small UAS have further operating restrictions. A remote pilot in command may not operate a small unmanned aircraft over open-air assemblies of human beings. Additionally, a remote pilot in command may only operate a small unmanned aircraft over people if:
  • The operation is within or over a closed- or restricted-access site and all people on site are on notice that a small UAS may fly over them; or
  • The small unmanned aircraft does not maintain sustained flight over any person unless that person is participating directly in the operation or located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

I would propose that a)this was a 'restricted-access' site, and b) the crowd was "on notice" that a drone might fly over them. Signs at the venue, plus a notice on the ticket?

There is also a waiver you can get to fly over large crowds. As always go to the source, in this case the FAA:

• Category 3 small UAS have further operating restrictions. A remote pilot in command may not operate a small unmanned aircraft over open-air assemblies of human beings. Additionally, a remote pilot in command may only operate a small unmanned aircraft over people if:
  • The operation is within or over a closed- or restricted-access site and all people on site are on notice that a small UAS may fly over them; or
  • The small unmanned aircraft does not maintain sustained flight over any person unless that person is participating directly in the operation or located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

I would propose that a)this was a 'restricted-access' site, and b) the crowd was "on notice" that a drone might fly over them. Signs at the venue, plus a notice on the ticket?
Category 3 has been defined in the revised 107.155, but I don't think that any sUAS have yet received an FAA-accepted means of compliance.

Looks a lot like a Freefly Alta X

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman