DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones flying from a yacht

MJ224

Reactions
Has anyone used their drone from a yacht? It would certainly make a good video. But I would be worried about take off, and even more worried about landing again.

My thoughts are the yacht would not be under way, but then that would make the video more interesting. Sail and stays would freak the drone radar out, so may have to be switched off. landing would have to be on the main hatch with the mainsail well out of the way...…….

Maybe best advice is "don't do it"...………..72276

Has anyone used their drone from a yacht? It would certainly make a good video. But I would be worried about take off, and even more worried about landing again.
If you are an experienced flyer, it's a great thing to do.
Not a good idea for single-handers as it is much easier with an assistant to help with launching and landing.

DJI_0076a2-XL.jpg

On a boat, launching and landing are best done by hand.

That's a sweet little boat and the drone would be the best way to show it off in its natural environment.

Not a good idea for single-handers as it is much easier with an assistant to help with launching and landing.

DJI_0076a2-XL.jpg

That's a sweet little boat and the drone would be the best way to show it off in its natural environment.

That's a great photo, I will have to practice hand launching and landing....

Thanks for the info, at least someone does it...…………:)

That's a great photo, I will have to practice hand launching and landing....
Just make sure you are confident on land doing everything you'll have to do at sea.
Out on a boat is far from the best place to learn new techniques because one mistake could mean going home with one less drone.
If you know how to heave to, that can be a useful tactic for retrieving the drone.
DJI_0975c-XL.jpg

* I cheated here - I wasn't on board for this shot.

DJI_0076a2-XL.jpg

My thoughts are the yacht would not be under way, but then that would make the video more interesting. Sail and stays would freak the drone radar out, so may have to be switched off. landing would have to be on the main hatch with the mainsail well out of the way...…….

Maybe best advice is "don't do it"...………..View attachment 72276

I haven't done it but I did watch some Youtube videos about it. Of course, you can't use straightforward RTH because the platform isn't stationary. This is self-evident. What wasn't self-evident to me, before watching those YT videos, is that the drone doesn't think it has landed, and nor does it stop the engines, if it is grabbed onto a moving platform. It has to be stopped by pushing the main switch on the battery, unless the boat can't be stopped.

Reactions: raylo32 and MJ224
What wasn't self-evident to me, before watching those YT videos, is that the drone doesn't think it has landed, and nor does it stop the engines, if it is grabbed onto a moving platform. It has to be stopped by pushing the main switch on the battery, unless the boat can't be stopped.
That's one way, or the operator can flick it into atti mode so it ignores the GPS input, holds it steady and uses left stick down.

Reactions: MJ224
Here is my video from the San Francisco Bay. Flying the drone from a sailing boat requires some good flying skills and I would recommend a second person to catch the drone when returning. All maneuvers should be exercised before taking your drone on the boat.

Excellent video Bernd, well done.

I need to take lessons on the grab landing. I believe you grab it and turn it upside down. Not for the faint hearted...

That's really tricky to do...Are you saying that because the boat will be moving you can't hand catch it (with gloves !) and pull the left stick down until the engines stop, like you would do for a normal hand catch ?

Excellent video Bernd, well done.

I need to take lessons on the grab landing. I believe you grab it and turn it upside down. Not for the faint hearted...
No , as I said you need a second person to catch the Drone, so that the pilot can focus flying the drone. The catcher catches the Drone with the fingers between camera and donwnside looking sensors. The pilot is flying the drone approaching the boat slowly from the backside of the boat. (For that you need to be a bit faster than the boat)
And the Catcher handcatches it. Then you turn off engines. So leave enough battery for this maneuver.

I have already suffered injuries from a less powerful drone (Dobby) when one of the props disintegrated, fortunately at lower leg level. Still got the scar. So catching the drone manually is a bit hairy to say the least. I do wonder whether I can land it normally, as already advised hove too. The yacht motion hove too would be small. I would not try to fly unless the weather was really calm, but then I would lose a "sailing" photo/video. Hey ho, I will try I all out in the summer...…….Thanks for all comment...:)

If boat moving forward, launch from back with drone pointing rearward. Upon launch, drone will hold position and boat will move away underneath it. Get the combo wrong and the boat will sail into static drone. Think about it for a while!

Drop as much speed as you can for launching and landing.

Explain to the crew and plan with them. Practice communication.

For landing bring in backwards. Your right stick then mimics the drones direction so you're not having to think about reversed orientation.

Don't fly too far away or let the boat move too far. Exceed your range and your RTH kicks in but where is the RTH point for a moving boat!? Update your home point regularly.

Turn off downward sensors due to reflections off water confusing it. Maybe turn off other collision sensors otherwise it might think boat and rigging are obstacles and won't want to come near you and can't land.

You'll probably end up hand catching. Practice on land. Carry a heavy glove (welding gauntlet etc) if scared. For total emergency crash land into a loose blanket/net/hammock. You may lose some props but you keep your drone (and fingers).

How do you focus? On my old Mavic Pro I used to fly up to 30ft, point camera down and do an autofocus to the ground then switch to manual locking it off. Usually this set a good enough focus for most things near and far. However, this didn't work for me trying to focus on the sea from 30ft up (again, I think reflections confused it). I ended with a whole video of slightly out of focus shots:

It all sounds daunting but is possible. Practice on dry land through trees etc to simulate rigging, narrow spaces etc.

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard