DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones in underground mining?

i would think a wheel or tracked unit could do this job much easier. as no need to hover in place could not hit a wall and crash as easily.
as wheel or tracked units do not need a compass or gps to drive around.
can carry more weight (instruments) and have a transmitter to sound out the tunnel.

Reactions: frank candor
1550ft below surface, just found out they brought 3 M100's to test with

Attachments

• 20190131_151517.jpg
    20190131_151517.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20190131_152412.jpg
    20190131_152412.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: Keerev
First thing I thought about was the Alien movie Prometheus and the little tunnel mapping drone's. Excellent application of Lidar though.

I guess in fresh air they would be safe but normally MSHA frowns on anything not MSHA approved going in or inby the last open crosscut.

We use them at work in buildings where you cannot go without full dress-out including respirators. Hazards include rodent/bird droppings (big hantavirus problem here), radioactive contamination, berillium dust, unknown atmospheric conditions, etc. Also structure instability. Mavic 2 Pro uses infared sensors for obstacle avoidance, and you can see on the controller just how close you are. If there are too many corners or too much steel or concrete, they can be programmed based on construction drawings to follow a specific route for the inspection. D&D industry using them more all the time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming