DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones threaten Civil Rights!

Yogi053

Reactions
Just watching CNN on TV here in the UK and a report about police using drones to catch (suspected) criminals.
It seems that it could be the opening of a big 'can of worms'!
I would be very interested in what our American 'cousins' think.

What’s wrong with LE using drones to catch criminals .
Really see no can of worms opened.

I was only referring to the presenters statiing that some members of the civilian population would determine that the drones following them would be a breach of privacy laws.
As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing against cctv cameras being used for security and if crime can be reduced or prevented by their use then I'm all for them. Indeed, having been a victim of crimes myself, I do have 3 cctv cameras keeping watch on my premises.

@Yogi053 ,flying a drone by LEs is no different to using street cams to observe whats going on, it is simply another way of using a camera for catching suspected criminals

Just watching CNN on TV here in the UK and a report about police using drones to catch (suspected) criminals.
It seems that it could be the opening of a big 'can of worms'!
I would be very interested in what our American 'cousins' think.
In the US the FAA has issued directives stating that use of the National Airspace for general surveillance by civil law enforcement is prohibited. This means that local state, county and municipal police agencies are NOT protected against civil rights claims due to misuse of their publicly funded UAVs. Now, finding a federal prosecutor who would sign their name to such a case in the federal district courts is another question entirely.

Disregard. Above information proven inaccuate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the US the FAA has issued directives stating that use of the National Airspace for general surveillance by civil law enforcement is prohibited. This means that local state, county and municipal police agencies are NOT protected against civil rights claims due to misuse of their publicly funded UAVs. Now, finding a federal prosecutor who would sign their name to such a case in the federal district courts is another question entirely.
Please post a link to these FAA directives. I am pretty sure that surveillance by drone is legal for police, etc.

Please post a link to these FAA directives. I am pretty sure that surveillance by drone is legal for police, etc.
No, I don't have a link handy. However I'm certain that FAA, like any other US government agency has issued advisories to law enforcement at some time or another upholding Fourth Amendment Rights against search without warrants.

It can probably be better stated that the potential for misuse of drone surveillance by law enforcement is a threat to civil rights. Drone technology is a powerful tool in the right hands and a powerful weapon in the wrong ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaneb50
No, I don't have a link handy. However I'm certain that FAA, like any other US government agency has issued advisories to law enforcement at some time or another upholding Fourth Amendment Rights against search without warrants.
A police drone is just another security or traffic cam, etc, that we all live under. Awaiting you to post the links to FAA statements supporting yours... it’s not in the published law enforcement guidelines from FAA.

A police drone is just another security or traffic cam, etc, that we all live under. Awaiting you to post the links to FAA statements supporting yours... it’s not in the published law enforcement guidelines from FAA.
If it makes you feel better I'll withdraw that statement since I don't have that publication handy. I cannot produce a link at 11:32 on a Saturday morning in the middle of a casual conversation. You sure caught me on that one, I must say.

Traffic cams are watching public space. It's different watching private space in a way that's not in view from on the ground outside of the public space.

LEO may use such surveillance to determine if allegations are true, but they likely wouldn't be able to use such evidence in court. They'd have to find evidence for court by other means.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Traffic cams are watching public space. It's different watching private space in a way that's not in view from on the ground outside of the public space.

LEO may use such surveillance to determine if allegations are true, but they likely wouldn't be able to use such evidence in court. They'd have to find evidence for court by other means.
No more than a warrant I’m sure
Still wanting to see actual FAA statements/policy on this.

Excellent radio lab episode discussing arial surveillance. More of a high altitude approach but certainly achichivable with “real” drones. Plus it’s being run by a guy named McNutt!

Reactions: JohnnyChicago
Don't think you will get none Thomas. Just opinions.
And to be technical , this was seen in the UK not here
though I know it’s done here. And needs to be in certain situations.

Reactions: Thomas B
Have any of our American members on the forum seen the actual footage where they use the drone to follow the suspect and see him plant a gun in a dumpster and also stash suspected drug paraphernalia and also film his arrest. It was on CNN here in the UK this afternoon.

Have any of our American members on the forum seen the actual footage where they use the drone to follow the suspect and see him plant a gun in a dumpster and also stash suspected drug paraphernalia and also film his arrest. It was on CNN here in the UK this afternoon.
Yes, but didn't want to get into this discussion....darn it...see what you did there :p

Reactions: Afghanpilot
I didn't but will show you where we used one here several years ago on Christmas Eve to locate and capture a guy that was trying to kill his family. Yes I was involved ,know the PIC and officers involved
and see nothing where his Civil Rights were violated .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH