DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones threaten Civil Rights!

In the US the FAA has issued directives stating that use of the National Airspace for general surveillance by civil law enforcement is prohibited. This means that local state, county and municipal police agencies are NOT protected against civil rights claims due to misuse of their publicly funded UAVs. Now, finding a federal prosecutor who would sign their name to such a case in the federal district courts is another question entirely.
I don't that is an accurate take on FAA policy. The FAA has established Law Enforcement Assistance Program (LEAP) back in 2018 to assist LE. Here's the link to the LEAP announcement from the FAA. The first paragraph states the following (emphasis mine)
FAA said:
The Law Enforcement Assistance Program (LEAP) consists of field investigative and operational activities that support federal, state, and local agencies by denying anyone who would threaten national security access to the National Airspace System.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't that is an accurate take on FAA policy. The FAA has established Law Enforcement Assistance Program (LEAP) back in 2018 to assist LE. Here's the link to the LEAP announcement from the FAA. The first paragraph states the following (emphasis mine)
OK, I can't quote FAA policy and I'll retract that whole argument unconditionally.

The point I was trying to get across is that law enforcement agencies cannot engage in general surveillance using drones without violating the Fourth Amendment. Federal courts have determined that aerial photography by police or their agents can be deemed as an illegal search if the proper warrants have not been issued.
As for the argument regarding police helicopters: Police pilots are directed by commanders on the ground to assist when an operation is in progress. They are not (nor can they legally be) directed to engage in general surveillance in anticipation of catching a random crime in progress.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
To summarize, from the 4th amendment angle, LEO can't do in the air what they can't do on the ground. If the subject is in a public place, they can be legally surveiled from the air just as they could from the ground without a warrant. But within private property, a warrant would be needed just as it certainly would be needed to enter a private building.

Just watching CNN on TV here in the UK and a report about police using drones to catch (suspected) criminals.
It seems that it could be the opening of a big 'can of worms'!
I would be very interested in what our American 'cousins' think.
Cops have been looking for crooks for a long time. That’s what they do.

Attachments

• 4A56BF2D-FADC-4F07-A54E-9B4EE05C35CA.jpeg
    4A56BF2D-FADC-4F07-A54E-9B4EE05C35CA.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 8
Just watching CNN on TV here in the UK and a report about police using drones to catch (suspected) criminals.
Helicopters have been doing that for years. Drones are less expensive and less visible.
If someone is paranoid about having a drone overhead, then they just might be the bad guy!

Reactions: Flypic and Yogi053
Have any of our American members on the forum seen the actual footage where they use the drone to follow the suspect and see him plant a gun in a dumpster and also stash suspected drug paraphernalia and also film his arrest. It was on CNN here in the UK this afternoon.
HI, here's another thread and link from this forum where a drone was used, no footage though

(1) Police drones | DJI Mavic Drone Forum (mavicpilots.com)

Happy and Safe Flying
and
Happy Holidays
inno

States are the entity that control whether or not LEAs can use drone with or with a warrant.
It’s not a federal issue.

This is a ridiculous thread.

Laughs while thinking of police/news helicopters with thermal cameras, hi resolution/zoom cameras on rooftops, satellites with classified thermal/zoom capabilities and the decades old predator UAVs owned/operated by DHS and it's agencies.

As an "American cousin," (how quaint!) MY PERSONAL OPINION HERE ONLY- I have absolutely no qualms about police helicopters searching for bad guys in the heat of a chase, and if the police have a drone pilot that is a good pilot I would feel the same. Here in my Miami neighborhood, it is not uncommon to see a low flying helicopter with search lights flying low over my neighborhood in search of either a bad guy, or a missing person, child, etc. That is EXACTLY why I listen and watch very carefully before putting my drone up in the air, no matter where I am. This has been going on or many years, and is not even considered a problem by most of us.

Dale
Miami

As an "American cousin," (how quaint!) MY PERSONAL OPINION HERE ONLY- I have absolutely no qualms about police helicopters searching for bad guys in the heat of a chase, and if the police have a drone pilot that is a good pilot I would feel the same. Here in my Miami neighborhood, it is not uncommon to see a low flying helicopter with search lights flying low over my neighborhood in search of either a bad guy, or a missing person, child, etc. That is EXACTLY why I listen and watch very carefully before putting my drone up in the air, no matter where I am. This has been going on or many years, and is not even considered a problem by most of us.

Dale
Miami
Yeah, I guess the only ones who are going to complain are the people who are doing wrong in the first place. (Cousins might have to get closer still after 'Brexit').

I was only referring to the presenters statiing that some members of the civilian population would determine that the drones following them would be a breach of privacy laws.
As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing against cctv cameras being used for security and if crime can be reduced or prevented by their use then I'm all for them. Indeed, having been a victim of crimes myself, I do have 3 cctv cameras keeping watch on my premises.
So if you aim to cams in the neighbors yard and not so much your property is that not invasion of privacy

Maybe when they start invading our privacy while pursuing criminals
Well if your not a crook ya have nothing to worry about do you.

In my city in western Canada we have had police helicopters (HAWKS) for decades using NIR cameras in the city and in the bush (RCPM). Using UAV’s to supplement the ‘service’ is not outrageous. In fact I believe it helps the budget which we tax payers support. Personally, I’m all for efficiencies.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Yogi053
In the US the FAA has issued directives stating that use of the National Airspace for general surveillance by civil law enforcement is prohibited.
If that was true, police wouldn't get much value out of their helicopters ??

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG