DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones; What worries the general public most about them?

Former Member

Reactions
Im just wondering what members here think the public worries most about the proliferation of drones? Please feel free to ad your own.

My personal observations about what worries the general public the most about drones, and not necessarily in this order, are:

1. Invasion of privacy
2. A drone causing them bodily harm by striking them
3. A terrorist attack carried out by a drone
4. Delays at airports (caused by drone intrusions by ignorant, irrational or obtuse drone pilots)

Remember, this thread is about how the public perceives drones, not what the drones can actually do.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Most of the time I mention I have a drone the comment is "what? do you spy on your neighbors"

So my guess is 1

People use spying on thier daughters as a "crutch" to be anti drone.

It has gotten so bad that I often joke with people that I bought the drone to spy on thier daughters just to see thier reaction.

So it follows that invasion of privacy is something that they are concerned about. Anytime I run into someone when flying who has that concern I show them my screen and tell them I would need to be right up against a window to have any vantage point. Even then there are glare issues what would more than likely render the image blown out.

Reactions: Former Member
I am lucky, I have not run into the situations a lot of fliers have. I also never see drones in the sky, seriously. I think Portland OR must not be represented well plus as many know it is where young people come to retire.

the general publics perception of drones is all the reasons you mentioned and is a result of misleading media reporting and a lack of understanding of what a drone is capable of doing. people always fear the unknown

Every comment I have heard while I am out flying (always away from neighbourhoods or people) is 'does it have a camera?' or 'can you see in peoples windows?' and similar. Until they look at the screen and see what it actually is seeing, they seem to think it has some sort of satellite capable camera so yes, definitely # 1.

Complaints about the annoying noise is also one I have had, that isn't in your list.

That's what I was going to say, disturbing the peace is the most common complaint I see up here and that's the one I've had in person as well. In one case I was out flying in the countryside and I'd walked away to a quiet spot away from the main path. I'd had the drone up very high for a short period of time but the winds were strong so I took it back down again. Unfortunately a lady was walking back and immediately tore into me for ruining her walk as the buzzing noise had been bothering her for the last half hour. I pointed out the drone had been up less than ten minutes and the only reason she heard is because it was coming down at that moment, she also didn't take it well when I asked her to stop blocking the drone and let it land so I could stop the noise from bothering her.

I always try to avoid people entirely although in reality I find most people either ignore the drone or they're curious about it and impressed when they see what it's doing. Still makes me a bit jumpy which is irritating and in the example above what was annoying was the fact there was a Loch near by and some dogs playing in the water making a lot of loud barking noises, much louder than the drone but no complaints about that. Nor from me either as one of the dogs was mine just to be clear!

In general I feel it's more a knee jerk reaction from a vocal minority who don't know what what they're talking about rather than logical reasons like the ones listed above. During the recent 'drone' closures at Gatwick I was reading through discussions on general forums and what really stood out was how utterly clueless those ranting were about both the drone capabilities and the rules governing them. I saw several long winded posts claiming the problems at Gatwick were the end result of an industry that hadn't been regulated, they genuinely didn't realise that if the flights happened at all they were already highly illegal breaking just about every rule there is and also couldn't be done with most out of the box drones.

Of course the media happily stirs up the anti-drone sentiments as it's a good one to attract readers but I was frustrated how inaccurate they were as well. Some of the biggest news sites here were claiming it was possible to go to a local electronics store, buy a drone and then straight out of the box fly it straight into an airport and shut it down with no risk of being caught as there's no way to track the drones. It was almost hilariously daft at times how over the top the drone capabilities supposedly were since they could climb go massive heights, fly in any weather and best yet appear and disappear at will.

It reminds me of NIMBYism, is that a thing outside the UK? It seems the same with other hobbies and been through similar problems as a photographer and a cyclist.

John

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78