DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneViewer released for Mac and Windows

Sadly, yes. For some reason, the Mavic Pro's SRT file contains no navigation data. :(
That's where the ability to select and read the log file of Go4 would allow compatibility with other DJI device.
There are command lines tools to convert (decode) the log file into CSV format; maybe their authors would agree for its use in relation with your software. There are also some on Github. At basic you would need a very limited conversion as you are interested only with basic flight info GPS position + altitude versus time.
Let's hope in a future version ;)

If you send me a short video clip via WeTransfer I will see if the SRT data is there.
Do you want me to use your email address from your website as the send to on WeTransfer? Everything I have is large, will shoot a short one tomorrow to send to you. Thanks

I edit all my videos on iPad (luma fusion) . An IOS version would be very interesting.

Checking it out Trial Version. Will play the video file but does not show anything on map or graphs. Mavic Pro and Mac OS 10.10.5 Are these features disabled in Trial Version?

Checking it out Trial Version. Will play the video file but does not show anything on map or graphs. Mavic Pro and Mac OS 10.10.5 Are these features disabled in Trial Version?

Did you enable Video Caption in the Go app before your flight? This is required.

If you did, send me a copy of your SRT file. Perhaps DJI has another format I haven't seen before. I have discovered that DJI has multiple versions of SRT files.

Any chance you’ll be creating an iOS app to use on my iPad?

No iOS version planned as of yet. This would take more resources than I have available at the moment.

That's where the ability to select and read the log file of Go4 would allow compatibility with other DJI device.
There are command lines tools to convert (decode) the log file into CSV format; maybe their authors would agree for its use in relation with your software. There are also some on Github. At basic you would need a very limited conversion as you are interested only with basic flight info GPS position + altitude versus time.
Let's hope in a future version ;)

Interesting. I did a little research on this. The FlightRecords files DJI creates are encrypted and look like gibberish. The guy who wrote the command line tool to decode them chose not make his source code public (I can understand that). However, he based his tool on Javascript source code written by some smart guys on Github under the MIT license. I looked at the source code and although it would be time-consuming to convert it for use in DroneViewer, I don't see any showstoppers. I can add it to the ToDo list, but can't say when I'll be able to get to it. Thanks for pointing this out.

DroneViewer 1.0.2 released for Mac and Windows

We are pleased to announce that DroneViewer 1.0.2 is now available on our website and has the following new additions:

New Features:
  • Added new Line-Of-Sight (LOS) graph. This graph shows the distance of the drone from the start point.
  • LOS is now exported in the CSV file.
  • Added new speed unit: meters/sec. You can switch units via the Preferences or by clicking the units tag in the speedometer.
  • Improvements in auto-scaling of graphs
  • Improvements to graphs when changing speed units
  • Updated Users Manual
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug in which altitude values in GPX files could be ignored
Special thanks to Dronason for the his suggestions to add LOS graph and m/s units.

droneviewer_v1-0-2_sm.jpg

DroneViewer 1.0.2 screenshot showing m/s speed units and location of LOS graph.

Purchased software. Cannot update to latest version using “Check for update” in pulldown menu

Purchased software. Cannot update to latest version using “Check for update” in pulldown menu

By default, every time you run DroneViewer it does a quick check to see if an update is available (this can be turned off in the Preferences). If an update is available, a window appears with the changes in that update. For example, here's what I see when I run v1.0.1 now:
droneviewerscreensnapz012.jpg

To update, click on the Download x.y.z button. DroneViewer will spawn your web browser and start the download. If you don't have a default web browser specified, or if somehow the spawning of the web browser fails, then the download will not occur. In that case, I recommend heading over to the DroneViewer website and just downloading it from there.

John

Interesting. I did a little research on this. The FlightRecords files DJI creates are encrypted and look like gibberish. The guy who wrote the command line tool to decode them chose not make his source code public (I can understand that). However, he based his tool on Javascript source code written by some smart guys on Github under the MIT license. I looked at the source code and although it would be time-consuming to convert it for use in DroneViewer, I don't see any showstoppers. I can add it to the ToDo list, but can't say when I'll be able to get to it. Thanks for pointing this out.
Sounds good, thanks for considering it, it will be valuable for everybody.

Hi, Looks good but it seems to have issues. I tried it on a video shot in the Peak District UK. The video plays nicely but there is no additional data and the map screen is blank.
PC running Windows 10. Ktec coded installed as requested by software. Mavic Pro recording in 1080p.
Also tried on videos shot in Aus, same computer, Mavic Pro in 4K. Similar results.
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• DroneViewScreenShot.jpg
    DroneViewScreenShot.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 44
Hi, Looks good but it seems to have issues. I tried it on a video shot in the Peak District UK. The video plays nicely but there is no additional data and the map screen is blank.
PC running Windows 10. Ktec coded installed as requested by software. Mavic Pro recording in 1080p.
Also tried on videos shot in Aus, same computer, Mavic Pro in 4K. Similar results.
Cheers
Peter
Sorry cropped the screen. Complete version attached.

Attachments

• DroneViewScreenShot.jpg
    DroneViewScreenShot.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 46
wanderer, so far have only been able to play a vid without any data or map. DJI P4P V 2.0. I have Video Caption turned on. Recording in .MP4 format. I know the data you need is supposed to be embedded in the file and no .SRT file will be created. Is there anyway to check and see if any data is actually being recorded?
Update:
Did a bunch of test, repeatedly filming the same short area while changing video resolutions and turning the "Video Caption" toggle on and off at times. When I started reviewing each vid, after several, to my surprise it all started working. Did some more testing and I now have the ability to reliably turn on/off the caption data. Don't give up too easily if you are having problems. Now my only concern is will it forget how to do it at a latter date.
Now I need to shoot something meaningful to give DroneViewer a real test. Looks very interesting just based on the short test.

FInally got a chance to fly after turning on captions to check the program out. It works really nicely! Simple. The trace lines of flight are slightly off from where the drone actually was (I was flying around my back yard and knew where it was relative to the house and trees and the trace was definitely southerly from where I actually was flying), but I suppose if I was flying somewhere in more open space, it wouldn't matter very much. It's a very cool use of the caption data!

FInally got a chance to fly after turning on captions to check the program out. It works really nicely! Simple. The trace lines of flight are slightly off from where the drone actually was (I was flying around my back yard and knew where it was relative to the house and trees and the trace was definitely southerly from where I actually was flying), but I suppose if I was flying somewhere in more open space, it wouldn't matter very much. It's a very cool use of the caption data!
Civilian GPS can be off position by several meters if not even more depending on satellites positions and obstacle. You should see the same difference if you check your flight log in the Go4 app.

FInally got a chance to fly after turning on captions to check the program out. It works really nicely! Simple. The trace lines of flight are slightly off from where the drone actually was...

Glad you like it. :) Yes the drone location may be slightly off due to two factors (1) GPS nav accuracy due to satellite dispersion and # of satellites in view and (2) the fact that DJI arbitrarily rounds off precision in their SRT lat/lon logging. Number 2 is the bigger issue (and also the one that could be easily fixed by DJI).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143