DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneZone says LAANC Active, Kittyhawk says Inactive, can't get approved

goblynn93

Reactions
Hello!

I've had my Air 2 for a week now and still haven't flown it... I'm trying to follow the rules more than I would have in the past...

I am trying to get approved (or denied) for flying around my house.

Using the Kittyhawk app I tried to get approval but I'm told I can't because LAANC is not active.

I tried to go to FAADroneZone and apply the slow way but I'm told I can't because LAANC is active.

What do I do now?

My nearest airports are KSEE, KMYF and 03CA.

Kittyhawk app says: UAS Facility Map - LAANC inctive/unavailable KSEE

I'm totally ok to be denied approval - I'm in a busy airspace - but I'm not sure failure = denial...

Thanks!!

Gillespie has active and non-active grids. I just checked Kittyhawk for an active area and it said I could request LAANC. If you're flying in a red grid (inactive), you'll need to apply via Drone Zone. But if you're flying in a non 0'AGL grid that is green, you can use LAANC.

Enter your address in the search bar here to check the grid: ArcGIS Web Application

Reactions: Capt. Paradise
Thanks for that.

I had no idea the grid was even there... Why doesn't Kittyhawk have that on be default? That's kinda dumb and it would have eliminated an entire day of frustration.

I went back and looked at Kittyhawk but my grid isn't red or green... Kinda looks like I'm in a dead zone between systems.

Thanks again for the info and the extra tool/url!

Edit: (add) I'm still left wondering what I can do now. FADroneZone won't let me complete the application because LAANC is available... But it's not actually available... What do I do now??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-063930~2.png
    Screenshot_20210214-063930~2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
If FAADroneZone and the apps are conflicting and I can't get the approval process to go through on either one: what's the next step? If I have someone wanting me to work in one of these areas what do I need to do to get permission to fly??

I went back and looked at Kittyhawk but my grid isn't red or green... Kinda looks like I'm in a dead zone between systems.

Thanks again for the info and the extra tool/url!

Edit: (add) I'm still left wondering what I can do now. FADroneZone won't let me complete the application because LAANC is available... But it's not actually available... What do I do now??
You're trying to fly in a red grid. That will definitely not be LAANC available. But it should be available via the Drone Zone. Make sure your flight area doesn't go into any of the green areas.

Also, you can bypass the warning about it being LAANC active, and put in the description in Drone Zone about where you're trying to fly, and that that particular grid is not LAANC active.

You can only apply for a single day via Drone Zone though.

You're trying to fly in a red grid. That will definitely not be LAANC available. But it should be available via the Drone Zone. Make sure your flight area doesn't go into any of the green areas.

Also, you can bypass the warning about it being LAANC active, and put in the description in Drone Zone about where you're trying to fly, and that that particular grid is not LAANC active.

You can only apply for a single day via Drone Zone though.
I'm not in a red grid. And LAANC should be available with a red grid. Red= 0' possible, from what I know.

I'm in a gray grid. My color blind *** took a color picker to it and it's "100 Battleship Grey".

I tried FAA Drone Zone and it told me to use the app. Kittyhawk and AirMaps both tell me to use FAA Drone Zone. I can't seem to make any of them go through.

This is why I'm here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-063930~2.png
    Screenshot_20210214-063930~2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
I'm not in a red grid. And LAANC should be available with a red grid. Red= 0' possible, from what I know.

I'm in a gray grid. My color blind *** took a color picker to it and it's "100 Battleship Grey".

I tried FAA Drone Zone and it told me to use the app. Kittyhawk and AirMaps both tell me to use FAA Drone Zone. I can't seem to make any of them go through.

This is why I'm here.
Can you PM me the address. I'll run it through what I have, and if I'm having the same issue, I'll pass it along to my FAA contacts. And if I can get it to work, I'll walk you through what I did.

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada