DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Droning in Toronto is illegal for any purpose?

Droningbear

Reactions
I`m planning to buy mini but i heard that laws related to drones are quite strict in all over the world, so i searched fly zone in Toronto but everywhere is red on the map.

What i know is that mini is under 250g so i don`t need any pilot license for flying it and almost everywhere is restricted for flying drones in Toronto.

Can i fly mini in Toronto?

I`m planning to buy mini but i heard that laws related to drones are quite strict in all over the world, so i searched fly zone in Toronto but everywhere is red on the map.

What i know is that mini is under 250g so i don`t need any pilot license for flying it and almost everywhere is restricted for flying drones in Toronto.

Can i fly mini in Toronto?

DJI has a no fly zone geo map page:

That being said, i dont know if there are any provincial or municipal restrictions for Ontario and Toronto.

Thank you for replying, i found an app called 'Airmap for drones' and it showed only red and orange areas near my house.

Last edited:
The NRC drone site selection tool is for drones 250g and up, it does not apply to drones lower than 250g (Mavic Mini).

Back in November I called Transport Canada and asked them if I can fly the Mavic Mini in class E airspace, they said yes. They just told me don’t fly in class F and don’t be reckless and negligent. So I went and bought a Mavic Mini. Stay away from airports and you’ll be fine. This is the whole point of the Mini.

Yes, you can fly the Mini in Toronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: pawnie
Maxpower, you are indeed correct. I read through the amended act this morning and, unless I missed something, none of the CARS apply to the mini. Inititally, i had thought last year that only the registration and pilot licensing didn't apply but after reading the act, none of it applies because of the definition of scope.

Of course, you are subject to local bylaws and the criminal code should you do something that is really dangerous or negligent. So long as you use common sense and fly in a safe manner, looks like you can fly anywhere with the Mini. It will open up a number of locations I wanted to fly in before but couldn't.

So are you guys saying you cannot fly within Toronto city limits anywhere if you don't have a mini that makes absolutely no sense if it's in line of sight and you're at the park this shouldn't be a problem if it's not a no-fly zone

So are you guys saying you cannot fly within Toronto city limits anywhere if you don't have a mini that makes absolutely no sense if it's in line of sight and you're at the park this shouldn't be a problem if it's not a no-fly zone
"Park" Check your local municipal park bylaws, it will likely have a bylaw against any remote controlled aircrafts, and they are already banned in Provincial and National Parks

It's not all of Toronto but it's most of it. But you have a couple of options: a) fly a sub-250g drone like the Mini or, b) get your advanced RPAS flying certificate and then apply for a Navcan flight authorization request.

I got that 10 dollar lic where u take test online 35 questions is that the lic you are talking about and it says on the map on the fly app that you can go pretty much anywhere under 150 m or in the outside x or the gray areas

I got that 10 dollar lic where u take test online 35 questions is that the lic you are talking about and it says on the map on the fly app that you can go pretty much anywhere under 150 m or in the outside x or the gray areas

Well you can't. You've got a basic license which forbids you from entering controlled airspace. Here's a link to a map tool provided by the government. Scroll to the Toronto area and click on the shaded areas to see for yourself. Basically the entire city except a part of Scarborough is controlled airspace. You could possibly do it if you had the advanced license and applied for a special flight operation certificate each and every time you wanted to fly your drone. Sorry.

Hey everyone,
I recently got my advanced certificate however I can not find a place to take off from (other than my property) with the by-laws in place how do you manage to find a legal spot to take off from? it seems like every city or town in Ontario has a bylaw in effect. Is there anywhere you recommend?

Hello people in USA, Canada, and UK,
It seems your various country's rules seem a bit more stringent than ours in Australia.
But my question is what do you think your various enforcement agencies would do to me as an international traveler (well again, after Covid and borders re-open) if I flew my heavier than 250gm drone in your country with all safety conditions, but not having a 'license' for each country? If all rules are obeyed - apart from no American, Canadian or UK license, do you think they would hammer me as I'd only be there as a short stay tourist? I am just curious at people's thoughts or experiences
Thanks people

Hello people in USA, Canada, and UK,
It seems your various country's rules seem a bit more stringent than ours in Australia.
But my question is what do you think your various enforcement agencies would do to me as an international traveler (well again, after Covid and borders re-open) if I flew my heavier than 250gm drone in your country with all safety conditions, but not having a 'license' for each country? If all rules are obeyed - apart from no American, Canadian or UK license, do you think they would hammer me as I'd only be there as a short stay tourist? I am just curious at people's thoughts or experiences
Thanks people

If you got caught or more importantly, if there was an incident, you'd definitely get fined. There are actually special rules too about bringing a drone over the border. You may want to google that. Sorry, it's been a long time since I looked at those rules.

Right now there are special rules bringing YOU over the border.

So much so the hockey playoffs had to remain there, and NBA raptors have to stay and play here.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming