DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dropouts after Updating

TheRock

Reactions
I just updated my smart controller and MP2 batteries/drone and went to shoot the sunset. Basically, I took off from the beach and went pretty much straight up to about 100 feet. I tried some hyperlapses and some panos. While the MP2 was just overhead, it lost signal maybe 3 times. This happened with another battery and also a third one. The drone was not far from the controller and there was nothing blocking access. It finds the drone again after a few seconds. In 2 cases it was long enough to stop hyperlapse process. In the others, it resumed clicking away after a pregnant pause. Has anyone had this problem? It is not like it was far away or that I got anything between the drone and controller. It just dropped out. It was not doing this before the update, of course. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• sunset alu.jpg
    sunset alu.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 55
I just updated my smart controller and MP2 batteries/drone and went to shoot the sunset. Basically, I took off from the beach and went pretty much straight up to about 100 feet. I tried some hyperlapses and some panos. While the MP2 was just overhead, it lost signal maybe 3 times. This happened with another battery and also a third one. The drone was not far from the controller and there was nothing blocking access. It finds the drone again after a few seconds. In 2 cases it was long enough to stop hyperlapse process. In the others, it resumed clicking away after a pregnant pause. Has anyone had this problem? It is not like it was far away or that I got anything between the drone and controller. It just dropped out. It was not doing this before the update, of course. Thanks for any input.

Try a different cord

Awesome pic! I had a connection get glitchy once when it was right above me too. It turned out I wasn’t using the unintuitive antenna position needed for maintaining maximum signal strength. Attached is a pic burried in the manual showing the optimum signal positions. See the diagram on the right and the difference in antenna position when it’s right above you. Once I started using that trick the signal stays at max way more often. ED215E85-DE4B-4344-9229-B759781CAFBC.jpeg

It is the new smart controller... no chord. Yes, the smart controller only gives you 2 options for antennae position. It started doing it with the one on the right position. I also folded it down. Seems to happen intermittently no matter what the antennae position. I am wondering if there is any kind of radio signal that can break the connection? We were flying out on a boat once and my friend had a drone he built (he does this for a living... makes custom drones). When the boat communicated with the harbor it broke the signal to his drone. We assumed the frequency of the radio somehow interfered.

It is the new smart controller... no chord. Yes, the smart controller only gives you 2 options for antennae position. It started doing it with the one on the right position. I also folded it down. Seems to happen intermittently no matter what the antennae position. I am wondering if there is any kind of radio signal that can break the connection? We were flying out on a boat once and my friend had a drone he built (he does this for a living... makes custom drones). When the boat communicated with the harbor it broke the signal to his drone. We assumed the frequency of the radio somehow interfered.

My bad didn’t read carefully enough. Yea interference can happen but you need a pretty major source for this to happen when it was this close. Was there any big metal things around or a powerful electrical source close by?

I have this one place I fly where this sometimes happens but there’s a power station near by and there’s a massive transformer array right next to me.

If there’s big metal plates in the area it can cause “radio reflections” which basically means the radio signal bounces off and interfers with its own signal.

I’ve also had issues when a helicopter approaches their radio signal is close enough to ours that it will interfer. It’s actually a good heads up that an aircraft is approaching and to get out of the way. Usually doesn’t cause me to disconnect though.

LTE cells towers.

That’s all I’ve got

Well, it is in an area that has highrise hotels and condos along the bay. I fly here pretty frequently and it doesn't happen often with the new or old controller. So for it to happen during the hyperlapse mode 3 times was odd. Let me give it a try down the coast a bit and see what happens. I'll report back. Thank you for your feedback. I know Guam's power lines are not that well shielded but I was a bit far from the road. We have been having military exercises on the island but I only saw fighter jets, no helicopters fly by.

Last edited:
New report... two flights out over the sea and no dropouts or any problems at all. Must have been some interference in that area and it just coincided with me updating 2 hrs earlier.
If anyone else had a problem like this, let me know. Now if I could just quit accidentally turning the video off and on. The handles on the smart controller are too close to the sticks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69