DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drowned Mavic Flies Again!

shane05

Reactions
So last week I was at the lake and was videoing some friends wakefoiling behind a jet ski. We were a rider short - I would usually have someone spotting when doing this but I figured "what could possibly go wrong?". I was port side, flying sideways. We were the only people in the area and I was flying completely FPV with a towel over my head and controller so I could see in the bright sunlight. I ended up hitting some trees along the edge as I didn't realize they had approached the bank so closely - they never would have come so close with the boat which is what I'm used to chasing. Unfortunately, after hitting the trees, it dropped into a few feet of water just offshore. It took around 10 to 15 minutes to find it and pull it out. It was still powered on and the flashing lights were the saving grace for finding it. I immediately powered it off and removed the battery. When I got it back to the boat house, I cleaned up the outside the best I could and left it sitting in the sun with a nice breeze blowing on it several hours while we continued to play. I took it home and placed it in front of a box fan set to high for the next five days, rotating it occasionally.

Yesterday, I decided to try connecting it and see what errors I would get if it even connected - I had low expectations. To my surprise, it connected and all systems showed "Normal". I didn't spin up the motors due to available time but I was stoked! Today I was able to take it outside and made a short flight (between rain showers) and again, everything is acting normal! No errors, nothing acting strange. The picture from the camera is clear, gimbal working, all sensors, everything. I realize the lifespan is likely compromised as there may still be corrosion setting in but still, I'll keep flying it until I see signs of trouble. The battery that was submerged seems normal now (was doing some bizarre flashing after the incident) but I don't want to risk a fire with a lithium battery so I'll continue to let it discharge and take it to a recycling center. The tests and flight were all done with a different battery.

I just wanted to relay the story as a testament to how resilient these little birds are and to give some hope to anyone in a similar situation. Most of the water posts I've seen didn't turn out as well. I guess I was just lucky and circumstances were just right. I had already ordered a replacement aircraft but I've already spoken with the retailer and am planning to send it back once it arrives. Be safe and have fun out there!

Great for you! I bet the fresh-water vs. salt really made a difference.
Yeah, I'm pretty certain salt water would have killed it between corrosion and shorts due to conductivity. Unless you can open it up and flush it with fresh water immediately, but even then, it would probably have serious damage. Even with the fresh water, I was surprised not to get any errors at all. I guess the water has a very low mineral content. I count myself very, very lucky at this point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuiceThe6One