DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dual Frequency Auto or Fixed

fiddlepilot

Reactions
What’s good practice on this option?

Just leave it Full Auto and forget it.

For my Wi-Fi Routers over the years I always found Auto was trouble and I have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5 and manually choose the channel on 2.4 after manually scanning traffic.

Same even on wired LAN in sone cases that auto speed would sometime hint and bounce up and down. Better to lock it slower than bounce between two speeds.

Curious if Auto might be causing some folks some trouble. I always found that on Wi-Fi you’d get momentary traffic on the channel it picked and jump to something worse. Does it even change channels mid flight?

There is no evidence of any problem with full auto. But curious what folks do in practice. I don’t know the history on this setting.

It's a mixed bag, constantly needing attention when switching environments. Interestingly, the Smart Controller was defaulting to 2.4, not auto, and several times in auto, it held 5.8 past where I felt made sense. Other times, it switched to 2.4 at long distances, then back to 5.8 when closing in, like an absolute champ.

If only that continued. After the last V2 FW bump, and App went to 1.0.60, it now defaults to 5.8. So, I have tested Auto vs. 5.8... a LOT..and it appears that 5.8 is strong, works well in areas not completely choked with interference. Except when it doesn't.

Auto switches well, except when it doesn't..I feel like the algorithm it is using is worse than before at switching. I don't know if it uses signal strength, interference, distance or some combination of these, but it absolutely is no Occusync level of management in any case.

Sigh... So I spend WAY too much time thing about, and micro-managing my signal. It may get better next update. Then again, it might not.

Not an expert but would have thought 2.4 would extend further (so good if your travelling a long distance) but higher frequency would get less interference so better for maneuvering close to home. I used to fiddle with these settings but now just leave it on auto and no issues

The 2.4 at distance, 5.8 at closer range is my understanding of things as well, in a simplistic sort of view. I the longer flights I have done from a reservoir then a long forested plain, that's exactly what it dies in terms of switching. I guess defaulting to 5.8 ghz makes sense if you factor in VLOS as the law of the land. I stay auto 90% of the time. What's much improved is changing the settings during flight doesn't cause a disconnect long enough to trigger RTH, at least with the SC. I haven't flown the standard controller in a while. Autel still owes the Android version some features that IOS got 4-5 months ago. Guess they're busy not delivering Nano's and Lite's on time. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

When my Mavic 3 re-arrives (replacement Fly More... defects) I'll be engaged with that so Autel can surprise me when I fly the E2P again. Right Autel?

the antenna direction is also really important, easy to neglect if yr rushing. With my M2P & SC I flow straight up to 200’ for a quick newspaper snapshot & was taken by surprise when the telemetry disconnected (5.8) but then I spotted the antenna straight down under the SC. It looks as though the antenna on the new SC for the M3 are positioned on the end of the SC instead of underneath, maybe for careless dummies like me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ