DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumbest ever mistake

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

Ok, perhaps I am the only one who is dumb enough to do this but this actually happened. My bird was 1.2 km out and 83m up. I decide that was far enough and I want it to come back. But I get my left and right sticks mixed up and instead of the right stick, I go full down on the left stick and hold it there while chatting with a group of kids who were around me. By the time I discovered what I was doing, my bird had descended to 12m. I had the left stick full down for about 41 seconds; all that time, I had assumed I was holding the right stick down. Distracted flying is bad, real bad. Lesson learned. Also, I feel really stupid.

Regardless of what CSS may or may not have done, my MA would have landed on water had I held the throttle down stick for another few seconds more.

• Wow
Reactions: Prismatic
A what if scenario - if I had actually landed the drone in the water, would I be able to restart the motors and get it out? There were no obstructions to block the signal so I don't think that would be an issue. Would the motors start under water? And assuming they did start, would they push the drone up to the surface of the water? Assuming of course I acted immediately after the drone lands on the water.

A what if scenario - if I had actually landed the drone in the water, would I be able to restart the motors and get it out?
Sure ... as long as the water was only 1mm deep
There were no obstructions to block the signal so I don't think that would be an issue.
It would have sank in a flash and apart from other problems caused by being submerged, water blocks the radio signal.

Distraction has undoubtedly been the cause of MANY mistakes in all sorts of endeavors but as the old saying goes,

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

A what if scenario - if I had actually landed the drone in the water, would I be able to restart the motors and get it out? There were no obstructions to block the signal so I don't think that would be an issue. Would the motors start under water? And assuming they did start, would they push the drone up to the surface of the water? Assuming of course I acted immediately after the drone lands on the water.
Honestly, not sure if trolling or not? As long as you don't have any special DJI Mavic Mavic 2 Pro Submersible edition, the Mavic is not intendend to dive - it's not even water proof, so I am a bit puzzled, you really think you could start electronics under water without risking a short circuit. :rolleyes:

Ok, perhaps I am the only one who is dumb enough to do this but this actually happened. My bird was 1.2 km out and 83m up. I decide that was far enough and I want it to come back. But I get my left and right sticks mixed up and instead of the right stick, I go full down on the left stick and hold it there while chatting with a group of kids who were around me. By the time I discovered what I was doing, my bird had descended to 12m. I had the left stick full down for about 41 seconds; all that time, I had assumed I was holding the right stick down. Distracted flying is bad, real bad. Lesson learned. Also, I feel really stupid.
Not the dumbest mistake ever.I can't beat it yet but weigh in to make him feel better.C'mon!

Honestly, not sure if trolling or not? As long as you don't have any special DJI Mavic Mavic 2 Pro Submersible edition, the Mavic is not intendend to dive - it's not even water proof, so I am a bit puzzled, you really think you could start electronics under water without risking a short circuit. :rolleyes:
No, not trolling. I was just wondering if that was at all possible.

No, not trolling. I was just wondering if that was at all possible.
Science guy here... now if you happen to land it into a tub of distilled water, it would not short out the electronics or cause any electrolysis to the circuits at all (for awhile at least), so the Mavic just may behave as if it’s in the atmosphere, albeit a very thick atmosphere... let’s try it with your drone as a demonstration! :p

Last edited:
We have all done it. Distracted flying. Not the dumbest mistake but one that can have some serious consequences. I try not to do it but people come up and start asking questions while you are getting ready to fly or flying. I generally stop what I am doing (go into a hover) and as politely as possible let the interested party know I am a little distracted but will help when I land. Does not always work :) but we try.

sounds like an exciting idea for a How To video

Reactions: Prismatic
Glad to hear you caught it in time (just barely) Doppler, I'm sure there are those that haven't.

You can't really help people talking to you and it's distracted me before as well.

For any new readers, you might want to heed this advice (that I've learned after too many distraction experiences): when you need to divert your attention from flying to a conversation someone wants you to have. hover. Just stop flying. Before you stop, take note of where you are and if you're in a rough place (near an obstacle, close to water), move the AC to a safe place before hovering (and before you start in on the conversation).

And while you're talking, do not take your mind completely off the drone. You want to notice if something happens, like perhaps losing GPS lock and the AC starts to drift (it happens).

Some people want to have more than a conversation, such as arguing with you about what you're doing. In cases like that, I have learned to not argue, but tell the person that they are distracting a pilot in action. And if they want to continue the conversation, they need to wait until you've landed.

It's perfectly okay to NOT turn around and face someone talking to you. You don't have to be rude, because you can simply say that you need to keep some amount of attention on what you're doing.

Safe flying!
Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada