DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Duplicate previous flight?

Arco1

Reactions
Is it possible to duplicate a previous flight exactly, recorded in DJI Go 4 on a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom, including photos being taken at the same exact points? I’d like to get duplicate video and photos over a previously flooded area that I flew a few months ago so that I can have exactly comparative video and photos of the damage and water levels. I’m assuming that this is something that I’ll need to do manually, but it’d sure be convenient if there was a way to do it automatically. Thanks in advance.

You can convert the DJI flight log to a KML and then upload that file to Litchi Mission Hub. That will allow creation of a mission that follows your previous flight path, but you'll have to set gimbal pitch and yaw manually. To take photos where you did before will require some more work. You can do it but it won't be a simple process. Coordinates, and MUCH other information are in the photo's exif data. All of it can be viewed with exiftool.

You can convert the DJI flight log to a KML and then upload that file to Litchi Mission Hub. That will allow creation of a mission that follows your previous flight path, but you'll have to set gimbal pitch and yaw manually. To take photos where you did before will require some more work. You can do it but it won't be a simple process. Coordinates, and MUCH other information are in the photo's exif data. All of it can be viewed with exiftool.

Remember that Litchi Mission Hubb cannot have more than 99 waypoints-
So You need to have some way of eliminating repetition - considering that Mavic records 10 entries per second.

I have created such a Program - That Allows me to reproduce a Flight to less than 99 Points as well as Gimbal INFO - but it involves serious Number crunching -

So I fly the flight - Upload the Datalogs and reproduce it as a Litchi Mission

Often - the concept of creating a MISSION that can be flown over and Over - is too much work , or time Coonsuming, or simply too difficult to do.
How often have you wished that in some way you could REDO the Flight you have flown previously, or needed to survey the same area without having the need to be Careful-.

Law enforcement , Search and Rescue, or even Farmers, hobbyists, and fil-makers can easilly now fly a PREVIOUS Flight by having Litchi AUTOCREATE a mission (recording position, altitude and ViewPoint data.)
This was done through statistical annalysis - of thousands of bits of data, and trends-
I used Litch App, VLM (virtual Litchi Mission), Mission Hub, Google Earth, and Visual BASIC to create a Quick Conversion system.
The idea would be to make an Easy way to convert any Flight into a Waypoint flight - and being able to manipulate the DATA from that.

It also gives us the ability to Annalise the Flight - and see WHY the Drone Flew away - or Where it Crashed- and what it crashed into.
Hope you Enjoy This

Last edited:
Your software looks impressive. You're right, I forgot about the massive number of points generated in the KML file but there are some online simplification methods, such as GPX simplifier. A GPX/KML could be saved from the uploaded flight log, out of Airdata, and then graphically simplified to the desired number of waypoints, and then exported as a KML for Litchi import. There are a few steps involved, but it does work and is easy to do, although it still only produces the flight path and not the actions taken in flight.

The software I designed -
Loads a Number of Data Arrays - and will …
a)delete Duplicates if similar withing a few meters -
b) will interpolate (Moving averages) the intended flight Path
c) will allow a number of Parameters to adjust replication and reduction of (almost similar) events, turns, etc
d) will Output the file in a Format Litchi can Import-
e) all points include co-ordinates, height above takeoff, Gimbal Pitch= heading, Horizontal and vertical speed etc - and these are ALL automatically interpolated in the Simplification process -

Just to be clear - I created this for myself to easily manipulate Data - Like adding Multiple Misions into one, reversing etc - it was never intended for commercial use
- The ACTIONS are not recorded - because I hardly ever Use Litchi for that - but mainly rather to Video and MOVE along the RACETRACK (Mission path)
…. so if ACTIONS are needed, will require a Litchi Wapoint intervention- - But that's simple - ...
Just Say what those are-

Also the GPX simplifier - May not record the heading - the gimbal Pitch angle - … and Possibly the speed -

I don't know that software - ...

Last edited:
Is it possible to duplicate a previous flight exactly, recorded in DJI Go 4 on a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom, including photos being taken at the same exact points? I’d like to get duplicate video and photos over a previously flooded area that I flew a few months ago so that I can have exactly comparative video and photos of the damage and water levels. I’m assuming that this is something that I’ll need to do manually, but it’d sure be convenient if there was a way to do it automatically. Thanks in advance.

hey arco1, sorry ahead of time, but I don't post much but am a member and read all of ????pilots forum's.

the answer to your initial quest is yes. a little work on your part but you can replicate almost exactly the position your were in when taking the pic, this includes longitude, latitude, altitude from your original launch point, gimbal pitch and gimbal heading. Can't replicate your camera settings, or at least I haven't looked into that.

I attached a screen shot from Airdata.com that I subscribe to that can easily give you what your looking for. It's been awhile since using litchi and created a flight mission, but if I remember correctly you can load this data into the parameters. in the screen shot if you click on "Photo" to the right of the picture you want to replicate a popup box appears with the info you need.

hope this helps

happy and safe flying
inno
Capture.JPG

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
I have the same question for a quarterly flight over burned terrain to document how it comes back. If I make the flight in the Litchi app - can that be easily duplicated within the app?
I'm not any kind of data cruncher or programmer...so maybe just a duplicated video may be less intensive than matching pictures (I'm doing that old school with a tripod and camera).
Any assistance is appreciated!

I have the same question for a quarterly flight over burned terrain to document how it comes back. If I make the flight in the Litchi app - can that be easily duplicated within the app?
I'm not any kind of data cruncher or programmer...so maybe just a duplicated video may be less intensive than matching pictures (I'm doing that old school with a tripod and camera).
hey [U][LEFT][SIZE=14px][FONT=Roboto][COLOR=rgb(75, 64, 28)]Imtnbike[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT][/U], if you have litchi and use airdata and have synced your flights with dji and then with litchi, yes. I have flight data going back to mid 2015 from my P3A. if you look at my post above, I can just go back to the flight I want and pic from that flight and plug the data in. no need to search through log files. it's quick and simple. point, click, get data, done. if you have any questions, it's ok to pm me

happy and safe flying
inno

Reactions: Imtnbike
SIMPLY

a) You can Use Waypoint 2 (on DJI GO 4)

OR

b) You can use Litchi (app)

Simply Plot a Path that works for you - Either By Flying the Mission to the correct Waypoints Manually then creating the Waypoint
and View direction (
and Actions - Photo etc) OR by doing it on the Google Maps without flying (Option)

Then Quarterly - Just Load the Mission - and use Video and or Photos to Collect your Quarterly data.
The mission will Play out exactly the same each quarter with the Required data collected -

It sounds too simple - but its the way to do it.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Imtnbike

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito