DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dust and dirt takeoff and landing

The round “H” pads are excellent as they curl up into a smaller size and fit in a pouch that can be placed in a backpack. If needing wider ground cover consider also adding a folded heavier weight painter’s plastic drop sheet. The props can blow dust up off quite a large area. Also, pro camera shops sell lens brushes with soft air bellows that can help to remove dust off delicate parts of the drone.
This has been in my camera and drone bag forever and I use it every time. Amazon.Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.44.12 AM.png

I think you just wanted to show off the picture you got...That is beautiful...where is that?
Mark- I'm not sure you were able to see my Maine, May 2021 video, which appeared on this forum Saturday. I don't want to hijack this thread so I won't attach it here but I can send to you privately.

Like many others, I routinely use one of the twist & collapse landing pads. Initially I was careful to stake it down but after several months I became careless & would just lay it on the surface. Two weeks ago I paid the price for carelessness - I was photographing sandstone cliffs at sunset outside of Canyonlands National Park when the wind came up and I brought the drone back in. I had her 4’ above the pad when a strong gust blew the pad up and it swatted the drone into the ground like a pesky fly. Broken forward arm and wonky gimbal because I was lazy!

I mean to be more careful in the future - wind conditions at landing won’t necessarily be the same as takeoff.

Howard

Another vote here for the 3 foot Hoodman. I also fly in the desert where dust is a major concern. My Mavic 2 pro is well protected during launch and landing. I do have to watch for the infrequent times when the drone is going to miss the landing pad and take control. Over 90% of the time it lands automatically dead center on the pad.

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ and A.O.
Another vote here for the 3 foot Hoodman. I also fly in the desert where dust is a major concern. My Mavic 2 pro is well protected during launch and landing. I do have to watch for the infrequent times when the drone is going to miss the landing pad and take control. Over 90% of the time it lands automatically dead center on the pad.
In an effort to avoid the big floppy "H" circular pad, I purchased a smaller rigid folding pad. The only problem was that it was smaller, and heavier, and so I stopped carrying around after a while. In windy conditions, I try to at least hold the "H" pad down with a low profile weight under the height of the landing props. Small stones or pebbles.

Reactions: Howard70
Recently came back from outback Australia trip with red dust everywhere.
It was simple just to take off and land from the roof of the 4WD. No dust issues.

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
I've never had a problem with dust/dirt/sand getting into the motors. It has damaged the camera gimbal, though.

I use the air compressor we have hooked up to the battery in the Ute- literally just realised how useful it was a couple weeks ago out in the Australian desert with all the sand. Other than that, was getting my partner to hand launch and land.

I always use a landing pad, regardless if its sand, grass, rocks, etc.

I have been flying my Mav 2 in the desert. Dust and dirt is collecting in the arm joints as well as the gimble. Recommended way to clean?

It seems to me that the solution is to not take off and land on dirt in the first place. I live in the desert myself (Arizona) and a square piece of heavy canvas held down by some rocks at the corners would keep the drone clean, as well as being lightweight enough to be portable.

Use floor mat out of your vehicle
That’s actually a really good idea. Mine are velcroed down so a bit tricky to get out, but still easier than having to remember to carry a separate pad all the time (maybe the rear ones aren’t, will have to check). They’re generally fairly heavy and should do the job. Thanks for the tip!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut