DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Eagle attack on FPV had it been any other dji drone it would have been history

I do not see why you would be so nasty.
It is legal to fly in national parks in Western Australia.
While flying on the coast a few miles from this canyon it was suggested to me by a park official (the title evades me for the moment) to fly in the canyons. Even though he and I were the only ones in the area.
The last thing in my mind was how tough I am or for that matter my tough drone.
My only thought was to get footage of a beautiful bird. I had no idea it would attack my drone. I have flown in the vacuity of birds of prey many times and never have they attracted my drone.
I have never harassed any person or animal either with a drone or as a human.

If all that is true, then one shouldn't fly drones in wedge-tail territory. Just as one shouldn't store food in their tent in grizzly territory. Specific knowledge is great, but over arching principles still apply. Why go to National parks and disturb wildlife?
Some people would read original post, and wonder if THEIR drone if strong enough and fast enough to evade such birds, or survive their predictable attacks. I have the opposite reaction, your reaction is somewhere in the middle, bird strikes happen.
A quick Google "Australian laws about drones and wildlife" yielded above link.
Includes little tidbits like "Avoid directly approaching or flying your drone near wildlife". I believe you, wedge tails have a large sphere of concern. They should therefore be given a wider berth than other birds. Just as a grizzly deserves a wider berth than a tree squirrel, both for personal safety, and because they command a broader area.
Laws generally mimic common sense, but some people ignore both.
I mentioned a red tail as an example of a bird I wouldn't harass with my drone. I understand it is a less aggressive bird. I suggest that more aggressive wildlife deserve radical avoidance. A 30 second look at the law seems to support me. I suspect you won't agree.
He did not approach the eagle, the eagle approached him. This is unavoidable and allowed as it is with marine mammals under Australian wildlife laws. Don’t do a quick google, try a deep dive into the regulations which as a commercial operator who operates in National Parks and Marine parks I have had to do.

“Some people” think a lot of things and use that as an excuse for their actions. When we legislate to control the masses for the actions of “some people” we’re on a slippery slope. At least I believe that’s considered a valid point by the U.S. gun lobby for example?

The range of the Wedge-Tailed eagle is the entire Australian continent, Tasmania and into Southern Papua ….. so we’ll just ground all drones, sky divers, ultra light aircraft in particular and aircraft in general in the entire country shall we? I’d like to see a little more common sense mimicked here rather than pointless virtue signalling.

OK, I’ve had my say and I see no point in preaching to those with a closed mind. Have it your way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo