DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Eclipse

Capt. Quirk

Reactions
I was going to ask if my mini 2 would be able to record the upcoming eclipse. I googled the question first and it led me to a post made here concerning the June 2021 eclipse.
Thank you Patrick Bergeron and the others who commented.

Why would you do this? whats the benefit of using a drone? Effectively, the sun & moon are at infinity so whether you photograph it from 0' alt or 400' alt, it will look the same. Plus if photography is your thing, then you're using an inferior camera to capture an amazing event. Use a full format camera on a tripod with a long lens 500 or 600 mm, capture in RAW format with approx. ISO 100, f8 1/200 with the appropriate full solar filter. I have solar filter mylar to cover the lens hood and my ski goggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: twickers14
Seems like the reason for doing it is to capture the landscape as well as the sun. I'm not sure how easy this would be since the sun will be quite high in the sky, but maybe worth trying.

Reactions: jambros3
I was going to ask if my mini 2 would be able to record the upcoming eclipse. I googled the question first and it led me to a post made here concerning the June 2021 eclipse.
Thank you Patrick Bergeron and the others who commented.
I don't know, if you can do it you can share these wonderful photos with everyone. I think it will be very interesting.

Reactions: jambros3
I’m going to be viewing the eclipse around 3:00 p.m. where it will be 95%.

From an earlier post it was suggested that the approaching shadow of totality could be observed on the terrain from a drone overhead.

Any thoughts on this, and does the failure to be in the totality limit such an observation?

I'm going to a campground south of AutstIn,TX and plan to put my M3P up in the air and using timelapse. Shouldn't be hard using the 4 minute , 125 shot mode. It will only last 2-3 minutes. I hope to get the whole horizon in the frame. I'm sure to get the landscape turning from light to dark and then to light again. I'm looking forward to it and been practicing taking footage of storm clouds rolling by. Should be a fun experiment.

Reactions: Capt. Quirk
This YouTuber met with a surgeon that has a bunch of ground experiments planned for that day and you could do at home.

The surgeon also created an app that will give the total time line with prompts so you won't miss anything.

It's about 22 minutes long but is interesting.

I live in Central Indiana and hope to experience the full eclipse, weather permitting of course.

I may send my MA2 up to hover and record the shadows on the ground along with a camera or two.

Sure don't want to fiddle with too much stuff and miss the event. :cool:

I live between Forney and Terrell TX on US 80. I will be in the totality of the Eclipse:

1710704300019.jpeg
I will also work from home that day because traveling around here will be pretty much impossible.

Reactions: Capt. Quirk
I’m going to be viewing the eclipse around 3:00 p.m. where it will be 95%.

From an earlier post it was suggested that the approaching shadow of totality could be observed on the terrain from a drone overhead.

Any thoughts on this, and does the failure to be in the totality limit such an observation?
Believe me, it is well worth it to move to the 100% zone. REALLY!

I'm a full-time RVer and plan to observe from somewhere along totality, probably around Uvalde (!) Texas. My intention is to fly video (Mini II) 400' up, pointed in the direction the shadow's coming from. The shadow moves about 1500 MPH over the ground and I'm curious to see if this is an interesting video. I need to think about whether I should use automatic exposure or a fixed setting, possibly opening up once the shadow is over us. Probably the latter. Suggestions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne