DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Edge of Authorized Zone

I freely admit after flying for 3 yrs I have so much to learn. The reason I assumed that this was the reason was because it wasn't that far away 4 blocks maybe from where I live and checking the max distance it was set for seemed pretty short. I'm not comfortable with flying very far away and certainly nothing like the youtube videos you see at all. I'm very careful about how and where I fly, always have. That's just me. Again, thank you for the very useful information :). I don't mind the dunce cap at all if it helps further my understanding of these subjects.

:). I don't mind the dunce cap at all if it helps further my understanding of these subjects.
That's the great thing about this forum in particular. There's always someone here that's already run into a similar or same problem before we get around to experiencing it for ourselves. And there's always someone willing to help diagnose and explain what actually happened.

It never hurts to ask questions. But many times the same questions have been asked before and the answers can be found using the search features of the forums, but only if you have some idea of what key words to search for.

I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and any other deity of your preference, that we here in Canada are not [yet] plagued with the utter nonsense of your Remote ID requirements.

So I'm only guessing here, but I think one of the requirements is that RID needs to be able to log the GPS coordinates of your takeoff location and/or the operator's location. Maybe you tried to take off before a good GPS fix has been established, and thus RID prevented the launch? I dunno.
While I always make sure I have at least 12 sats before I take off, I think you're right with it having to do with a GPS fix. I've had it do this a couple of times now, but not everytime. Thanks for your help, I've learned a lot from this thread!

Reactions: Rchawks and Zbip57
Wow. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

DJI's system have a built-in GEO Zone feature which, in increasing order of severity, will merely warn you when trying to fly in some areas (Warning Zone), or require you to self-authorize to indicate you accept full responsibility (Enhanced Warning Zone), or self-authorize when logged with your verified DJI account (Authorization Zone), or may limit the height at which you can fly (Altitude Zone), or require you to contact DJI directly with documented proof that you actually are authorized to fly (Restricted Zone).

The least restrictive is the Warning Zone, requiring no further action of the user. You've been Warned, proceed at your own risk.

The most restrictive is the Restricted Zone. Your drone cannot take off within such a zone, and will be prevented at the boundary from crossing into such a zone. If you somehow managed to get your drone flying inside such a zone and it gets a good enough GPS signal to realize it's inside the zone, the drone will auto-land.

GEO zones will never trigger an automatic Return-to-Home. The warning you see is to inform you that you are taking off near a geofenced zone which may result in interference with an automated RTH, possibly preventing your drone from returning home.

For example, if you fly outside the perimeter of a GEO zone around to the far side of that zone and then, for whatever reason, lose your control signal, the drone will try to fly a straight path Home. If it encounters an unauthorized GEO zone along the way, the drone will stop as though it hit an invisible wall and be prevented from entering that zone. Unless you can recover your control signal and safely steer the drone around the GEO zone, it'll just sit there until the battery runs out forcing an auto-landing wherever it's currently at.

nfz-jpg.146233

You can (SHOULD) always study your chosen flight area to identify possible conflicts using the online DJI GEO Zone Map, or simply bring up the map display in your Fly App screen which shows the same thing!

It's also very important to note that DJI's GEO zones frequently do not correlate accurately to actual legal FAA restrictions. Just because DJI allows you to fly in certain areas doesn't necessarily mean it's legal to fly there. In other cases, the FAA might say it's perfectly legal to fly here, but DJI's system will step in and prevent your drone from taking off, or you can find your drone suddenly bumping into a mysterious invisible wall.

Always check the GEO Zones in your area before flying.
Very well stated, it is also a good practice to check the area you will be flying in with B4UFLY as well

... it is also a good practice to check the area you will be flying in with B4UFLY as well.
Absolutely, or whatever similar app is available in other countries.

It is always important to verify whether you can legally fly, but also check DJI's geozones as those are what may or may not physically prevent you from flying your DJI drone.

For Canada, I highly recommend the Drone Pilot Canada app, as it has toggle to allow switching between showing the Transport Canada (TC) zones versus the DJI zones.

Reactions: Robert Prior
That's the great thing about this forum in particular. There's always someone here that's already run into a similar or same problem before we get around to experiencing it for ourselves. And there's always someone willing to help diagnose and explain what actually happened.

It never hurts to ask questions. But many times the same questions have been asked before and the answers can be found using the search features of the forums, but only if you have some idea of what key words to search for.
Yeah, but sometimes trying to find your answer takes you down the wrong road and you spend a lot more time trying to find the right answer for your question. Sometimes it's easier and faster to repost the question, besides for the most part the members are more than happy to give you a quick solution and when someone as knowledgeable as yourself who gives a detailed response people find their solution in a way that would've been lost for them. If you look at al the subjects covered in this forum I'm sure the vast majority have been repeated many times and when you've just had a flying experience it's nice to have that interaction with someone who is more knowledgeable because it opens new avenues than might not have explored otherwise. Thank you for your help, btw, :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57
Hi,
According to the controller it states I am in a "Authorization Zone"
I was able to get clearance from the web site I use last week and was able to fly.
This week I have been in contact with the FAA and I am not in a "Authorization Zone" or any restricted zone at all.

How to get the controller and the aircraft which is the DJI Mini 3 to correct its software so I can fly?

I always make sure I have at least 12 sats before I take off
I always wait for the nice lady to tell me the home point has been updated, and I check the map to see that it is, indeed, correct.

I once took off near a small airstrip to shoot a panorama of a creek. I was in a valley below the airstrip, and only halfway up the trees. Totally legal (I checked the NRC drone tool before planning the shot), and I clicked the "I agree to accept liability" box so I thought I was OK. Then my drone got a better fix and decided it was flying in an authorization zone and started descending into the creek. I couldn't stop the descent, but I was able to fly sideways and landed on a small gravel bar at the edge of the creek.

That was the day I realized why checking the map is important!

I also no longer trust precise positioning and will do a self-unlock if I'm near an area requiring one, even if I'm not planning on entering it, just in case.

Second Zippy's recommendation for the Drone Pilot Canada app. Which also pulls in NOTAMs and logs checklists.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev