DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Mavic 2 Pro Test Footage Download (10 bit dlog) - Does it play back smoothly?

Does anyone have the h265 (File1) file from Tom's Tech Time. Files 2, 3, and 4 are not h265, but are h264 and the download link for File 1 goes to the Mavic 2 DJI page. For reference, I'm using this page: https://www.tomstechtime.com/mavicpro2 and using the Video Files links (buttons) on the left.
Answering my own question, I found h265 (HEVC) samples at the link in the comments in this video (not my video) and verified the format:

I'm probably the only one nerdy enough to care, but here's the spec of one of those sample files. I'd love to see a sample HLG file if anyone has one.

General
Complete name : /Users/sthompson/Downloads/DJI_0012.MP4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
File size : 345 MiB
Duration : 27 s 695 ms
Overall bit rate : 104 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-08-28 18:35:04
Tagged date : UTC 2018-08-28 18:35:04
Writing application : Lavf56.15.102

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 27 s 695 ms
Bit rate : 104 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Original frame rate : 23.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.525
Stream size : 345 MiB (100%)
Encoded date : UTC 2018-08-28 18:35:04
Tagged date : UTC 2018-08-28 18:35:04

10 bit at least. Thats full not HQ ?

Full/HQ isn't about bit depth. Bit depth describes how many bits-per-color are used in the encoding scheme.

Full/HQ on the M2P as I understand it (my M2P arrives Thursday) is about whether or not the UHD (3840x2160) image is composed of the 5.5k images sensor size downsampled to UHD (4k) or just using the 3840x2160 pixel-pixel crop. I'm a little foggy on which is which (i.e. DJI's nomenclature).

Bit depth matters in the total dynamic range. h264 (AVC) is generally 8-bit, meaning there are 256 "steps" to each color, resulting in a possibility of 256*256*256 colors (16M colors) whereas 10-bit (possible with h265) uses 1024 "steps" per color, giving 1024*1024*1024 colors (1B colors).

If your editing software can handle it, h265 is a no-brainer.

Full/HQ isn't about bit depth. Bit depth describes how many bits-per-color are used in the encoding scheme.

Full/HQ on the M2P as I understand it (my M2P arrives Thursday) is about whether or not the UHD (3840x2160) image is composed of the 5.5k images sensor size downsampled to UHD (4k) or just using the 3840x2160 pixel-pixel crop. I'm a little foggy on which is which (i.e. DJI's nomenclature).

Bit depth matters in the total dynamic range. h264 (AVC) is generally 8-bit, meaning there are 256 "steps" to each color, resulting in a possibility of 256*256*256 colors (16M colors) whereas 10-bit (possible with h265) uses 1024 "steps" per color, giving 1024*1024*1024 colors (1B colors).

If your editing software can handle it, h265 is a no-brainer.

Yes, fully aware of that but there are quite a few claims around you ONLY get 10 bit data out of the 4k-HQ setting and not on the 4k-Full.
Hence the comment - it appears not to be the case and LOG generally provides it.

The test files played flawlessly on a 2015 MBP using quicktime. In my experience HVAC is well supported by Apple.

Yes, fully aware of that but there are quite a few claims around you ONLY get 10 bit data out of the 4k-HQ setting and not on the 4k-Full.
Hence the comment - it appears not to be the case and LOG generally provides it.

Ah I see what you meant. Haven't seen that before and haven't looked into the minutiae of Full/HQ yet. Thanks.

Works fine with Premiere Pro CC on my iMac 5K. When I first put the footage into premiere it prompted me to download something which I did (a codec probably).

I downloaded these files (the last three video files, the link for File 1 just goes to DJI's Mavic Pro Page). They are all 8-bit 60Mbps rec709 h265, NOT 10-bit h265. Just making sure everyone knows what they are looking at given that the subject of this thread is about 10-bit. I would love to see some of that footage.

The metadata info you have posted does not match any of the files on Tomstechtime, are you referring to a different file? The info you have posted refers to a file named DJI_0025 with a file size of 276mb, length of 38 seconds and a framerate of 29.970 fps.

The files hosted by TTT are:

DJI_0092 - 294mb - 25 seconds - 25fps
DJI_0034 - 151mb - 13 seconds - 25fps
DJI_0062 - 619mb - 52 seconds - 25fps

All the Tomstechtime clips appear to be 10bit according to the metadata on Davinchi Resolve:

Screenshot 2018-09-02 at 19.34.45.png

You can download same clips with normal, HLG and D-log on both Full FOV and HQ here:

Alot of sources/videos seem to be indicating 10 bit is only available on HQ and not Full FOV, however when I put the above clips in Davinchi it appears all the HLG and D-log clips are 10 bit (both Full FOV and GQ), and the normal picture profile clips are 8 bit (all H265):

Screenshot 2018-09-02 at 19.43.42.png

What you'll find is Apple generally use 1 or 2 generation older processors and hardware than is "current". Skylake was new around about 2015 so i suspect your computer hasnt got it.
But its worth checking, it might do.

Not so...Apples Power machines use top of the line processors and mine chews these files up with Premiere Pro.

Top of the line a year or 2 ago. Its very very rare that release a machine that uses current generation tech because it takes them so long to actually release anything.

I can upload my DLOG-M H.265 10 bit files to the free version of Davinci Resolve 15, but they all end up rendering at 8 bit and H.264. At my novice level, I'm either not able to select the correct options - or there's a limit in what the free version can do. Anyone else have the same result?

When watching the Mavic 2 Pro on Tomstechtime, he provided a link to download sample footage and raw photos so people could see the quality difference before deciding to purchase. I downloaded these to see how they compared to MP footage

I am curious to see others experiences with editing/playback of Mavic 2 Pro 4k D-log footage on their current set ups.

I've been editing Mavic Air & Mavic Pro 4k footage via Final Cut X very smoothly with no dropped frames for quite awhile (no proxies). I just downloaded some straight from Mavic 2 Pro 4k d-log footage from Toms Techs time (link below). When i put these files into FCX they are fairly choppy, and can only really be edited if I create Optimised Media or Proxies. I appreciate this may be due to the footage being both 10bit and 100mb/s, and is more taxing on the system than the MA/MP footage, or is my system slowing down?. I'm editing on a 2016 Macbook Pro 13 inch (which i know the specs are very limited for 4k editing).
The files are also very choppy when played back via Quicktime or via preview.

Just wondering if anyone else who has edited MP/MA footage with no issues, is now struggling to playback Mavic 2 footage?

The link to the footage is here:

https://www.tomstechtime.com/mavicpro2

I'm experiencing the same with my M2P. Moving to HEVC might be a bit of a headache for some and may incur some costs. They is a slight learning curve too.

I have FCPX 10.4 running on macOS 10.13.16 on a 2017 5K iMac and a 2016 MBP and playback through Finder is very choppy. Clips play better once optimised in FCP but the system does take a hit CPU wise.

Although my FCPX 10.4 supports HEVC, for some reason I can't configure an additional Export destination for the HEVC codec. Presets for MVX are there but nothing else.

When watching the Mavic 2 Pro on Tomstechtime, he provided a link to download sample footage and raw photos so people could see the quality difference before deciding to purchase. I downloaded these to see how they compared to MP footage

I am curious to see others experiences with editing/playback of Mavic 2 Pro 4k D-log footage on their current set ups.

I've been editing Mavic Air & Mavic Pro 4k footage via Final Cut X very smoothly with no dropped frames for quite awhile (no proxies). I just downloaded some straight from Mavic 2 Pro 4k d-log footage from Toms Techs time (link below). When i put these files into FCX they are fairly choppy, and can only really be edited if I create Optimised Media or Proxies. I appreciate this may be due to the footage being both 10bit and 100mb/s, and is more taxing on the system than the MA/MP footage, or is my system slowing down?. I'm editing on a 2016 Macbook Pro 13 inch (which i know the specs are very limited for 4k editing).
The files are also very choppy when played back via Quicktime or via preview.

Just wondering if anyone else who has edited MP/MA footage with no issues, is now struggling to playback Mavic 2 footage?

The link to the footage is here:

https://www.tomstechtime.com/mavicpro2
Apparently, I have the same issue as you. I never had any issues editing / playback videos from mavic air at 4k h.264 d-cinelike.

When I got my Mavic 2 Pro I could not do a playback of my videos recorded 4k h.265, color profile: d-log m / normal only videos recorded at 4k h.264 with normal color profile. Which is a downside because I can color grade my videos as good as d-log m.

I am using a macbook pro (early 2015), i5 5th generation. I have checked with apple and was informed that I need to get a processor at least 7th generation “Kaby Lake”. With the latest macbook pro with touchpad all is working fine. Intel 8th gen, 8gb ram. No issues with editing or playback.

I have the same issue on both my Windows (intel core i7) machine and Macbook Pro. Both h264 play great and are fully useable, but h265 no bueno.

This is unfortunate as you can only use the d-log in the h265 setting.

Brendan

This is true HDR content from the M2P.

It fires up the HDR icon on my OLED, plus you can see that there's a high dynamic range of colours. But I'm not sure if it's 8bit or 10bit.

I can upload my DLOG-M H.265 10 bit files to the free version of Davinci Resolve 15, but they all end up rendering at 8 bit and H.264. At my novice level, I'm either not able to select the correct options - or there's a limit in what the free version can do. Anyone else have the same result?

The free version of Davinci Resolve 15 can only export 264 8 bit.
The payed version will export 265 10 bit.

This is true HDR content from the M2P.

It fires up the HDR icon on my OLED, plus you can see that there's a high dynamic range of colours. But I'm not sure if it's 8bit or 10bit.

It’s 10-bit. Was just testing this myself. Color on HLG or DlogM h.265 records 10-bit. Normal h.265 is 8-bit color.

h.264 is 8-bit color.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman