DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Mavic 2 Pro Test Footage Download (10 bit dlog) - Does it play back smoothly?

Fmoots

Reactions
When watching the Mavic 2 Pro on Tomstechtime, he provided a link to download sample footage and raw photos so people could see the quality difference before deciding to purchase. I downloaded these to see how they compared to MP footage

I am curious to see others experiences with editing/playback of Mavic 2 Pro 4k D-log footage on their current set ups.

I've been editing Mavic Air & Mavic Pro 4k footage via Final Cut X very smoothly with no dropped frames for quite awhile (no proxies). I just downloaded some straight from Mavic 2 Pro 4k d-log footage from Toms Techs time (link below). When i put these files into FCX they are fairly choppy, and can only really be edited if I create Optimised Media or Proxies. I appreciate this may be due to the footage being both 10bit and 100mb/s, and is more taxing on the system than the MA/MP footage, or is my system slowing down?. I'm editing on a 2016 Macbook Pro 13 inch (which i know the specs are very limited for 4k editing).
The files are also very choppy when played back via Quicktime or via preview.

Just wondering if anyone else who has edited MP/MA footage with no issues, is now struggling to playback Mavic 2 footage?

The link to the footage is here:

https://www.tomstechtime.com/mavicpro2

had the same issue, MBA 2013. very curious to see other's experience on the matter.

had the same issue, MBA 2013. very curious to see other's experience on the matter.

Thanks for the response, interesting. It would be interesting to try both h.264 and h.265 and see if there’s any difference, could be a lack of optimisation for the newer codec.
Or perhaps it’s just due to the 10bit footage being more demanding.

My laptop, a fairly powerful machine with a Core i7 Processor and NVidia video, struggles with the 4K clips from my DSLR camera and my GoPro. When I'm in the field with my laptop, I set up my video editing software (Adobe Premiere CC) projects to 1080P, and I scale my footage down accordingly. I save my prize footage for my home studio editing workstation.

Just played with the same files and no issue here.
I can load into premiere, edit without dropped frames at full resolution and playback the same in 264 and 265.

Its an Alienware laptop with an i7 (6th gen), Nvidia 1060 video, 16gb ram fwiw.

Playback is fine via windows player and VLC. No idea about quicktime as i refuse to install any apple software on the pc.

Reactions: Grover and bobomet
Thanks for the response, interesting. It would be interesting to try both h.264 and h.265 and see if there’s any difference, could be a lack of optimisation for the newer codec.
Or perhaps it’s just due to the 10bit footage being more demanding.
I would be very interested to test h.264 files. If you find anywhere, please post the links here. It would be much appreciated as I have a fairly old and not so powerfull laptop and don't know if new MP2 will have me buy a new one o_O

I would be very interested to test h.264 files. If you find anywhere, please post the links here. It would be much appreciated as I have a fairly old and not so powerfull laptop and don't know if new MP2 will have me buy a new one o_O

I would be interested in testing this out too, trying both h264 and h265 files and see the performance differences.

After doing abit more research, it definitely appears that the CPU is the bottleneck. Playback of HEVC (h265) files is very limited on the 6th gen Skylake processors, which is what the 2016 Macbook Pro's have, it seems to be very CPU demanding. I'd image h264 plays back ok though, as with the Air/MP. I guess if this is the case & I was to get a M2P, I'd have to stick with shooting in h264 and dealing with the larger files sizes. Either that, or allowing FCX to create Prores 'optimated media' files upon import, or proxies.

Ive got an Intel 6700HQ so a 6th gen CPU and it seems to handle HEVC ok. I had to find a codec as one doesn't ship natively with Windows but outside of that all the usual suspects play and work - CPU usage isnt excessive.

Ive got an Intel 6700HQ so a 6th gen CPU and it seems to handle HEVC ok. I had to find a codec as one doesn't ship natively with Windows but outside of that all the usual suspects play and work - CPU usage isnt excessive.

Sorry I meant to say HEVC 10 bit, 8 bit HEVC 4k 60fps from my IPhone X or GoPro handles no problem, it just seem to be the 10 footage linked above, does your system handle the footage from Tomstechtime ok & do you have dedicated GPU (i’m using integrated which is likely an issue too)

Yes it handles the tomstechtime footage OK both playback of the directly downloaded file and an export via premiere in HEVC after some processing.
I do have a dedicated GPU but i told the OS to just use the internal for it and it played fine. CPU usage maybe 20-30%.
(I dont think my GPU has dedicated hevc acceleration)

I had no issues with it, but also I'm not use to working with 25 fps either.... so it looks a little different to my eye.
I however edit my inspire 2 60fps footage without a problem too.

When watching the Mavic 2 Pro on Tomstechtime, he provided a link to download sample footage and raw photos so people could see the quality difference before deciding to purchase. I downloaded these to see how they compared to MP footage

I am curious to see others experiences with editing/playback of Mavic 2 Pro 4k D-log footage on their current set ups.

I've been editing Mavic Air & Mavic Pro 4k footage via Final Cut X very smoothly with no dropped frames for quite awhile (no proxies). I just downloaded some straight from Mavic 2 Pro 4k d-log footage from Toms Techs time (link below). When i put these files into FCX they are fairly choppy, and can only really be edited if I create Optimised Media or Proxies. I appreciate this may be due to the footage being both 10bit and 100mb/s, and is more taxing on the system than the MA/MP footage, or is my system slowing down?. I'm editing on a 2016 Macbook Pro 13 inch (which i know the specs are very limited for 4k editing).
The files are also very choppy when played back via Quicktime or via preview.

Just wondering if anyone else who has edited MP/MA footage with no issues, is now struggling to playback Mavic 2 footage?

The link to the footage is here:

https://www.tomstechtime.com/mavicpro2

I downloaded these files (the last three video files, the link for File 1 just goes to DJI's Mavic Pro Page). They are all 8-bit 60Mbps rec709 h265, NOT 10-bit h265. Just making sure everyone knows what they are looking at given that the subject of this thread is about 10-bit. I would love to see some of that footage.

General
Complete name : /Users/sthompson/Downloads/DJI_0025.MOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime1
Codec ID : qt 2014.02 (qt )
File size : 276 MiB
Duration : 38 s 572 ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 60.0 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2016-10-16 13:05:32
Tagged date : UTC 2016-10-16 13:05:32
Comment : 0.9.141
gpt : +0.00
gyw : -164.00
grl : +0.00

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=8
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 38 s 572 ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 60.0 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.241
Stream size : 276 MiB (100%)
Title : DJI.AVC
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2016-10-16 13:05:32
Tagged date : UTC 2016-10-16 13:05:32
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Hi, I am having the same issues. I just purchased my Mavic 2 Pro and I tried recording 4k - H.265, D-Log but when I tried playing the video in my Macbook Pro (Early 2015) thru Quicktime it is indeed very choppy and to no avail with VLC or Elmedia for that matter. My question is how could I play this video smoothly?

Its likely because your CPU is old its not a Skylake or newer so wont have hardware H265 playback (needs to be 6th generation onwards).
So theres not a lot you can do.

Its likely because your CPU is old its not a Skylake or newer so wont have hardware H265 playback (needs to be 6th generation onwards).
So theres not a lot you can do.

Thanks alot, so this calls for an other upgrade.

What you'll find is Apple generally use 1 or 2 generation older processors and hardware than is "current". Skylake was new around about 2015 so i suspect your computer hasnt got it.
But its worth checking, it might do.

All plays fine on my Alienware laptop via VLC.

i7-7700HQ cpu
16GB RAM
GTX 1070 8GB VRAM

All plays fine on my late 2012 27" iMac VLC and Quicktime
i7-3770 @3.4ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 680MX 2GB VRAM

The alienware has a 7th generation so has hardware playback and encoding.
The ancient apple it could well be the discrete video helping it along.

Ive got 1 generation older alienware (6700HQ, 1060 Geforce) and its all fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1