DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What video editing software are you all using?

Windows Movie Maker hahahaha. I’m not joking. I have CS6 but Photoshop is the only app that I have learned to use. Ugh I really need to learn the rest of them.

Downloaded the free resolve and it opens it fine. I just need a degree in quantum mechanics to figure it out.....lol. Question, if I film in h.265 and convert to h.264 do I still retain all the wonderful benefits of h.265? Oh, and the free version does handle 4K.
There are some youtube tutorials that explain how to use it. It is simpler than you think but maybe not intuitive.

There are some youtube tutorials that explain how to use it. It is simpler than you think but maybe not intuitive.
I thought this was a really good one to get me going. I had a headache by the end of the hour, though :p

I'm having issues with Resolve, too. Imported two types of files for color correction, mainly. One was 4k 24fps, the other 4k 30fps. Both were 10 bit H.265, DLOG-M. I mainly spliced clips together and hit the Auto button to apply color correction since I'd be kidding myself if I thought I had any other skills beyond that at this point. I then rendered in 4K to an MP4 file.

Unfortunately the output sucked- stuttering everywhere, with the worst of it being in the 30fps work.. the color looked ok, though. The non-corrected stuff is very smooth.

So is the only workaround to either shoot in 264 and process, or shoot in 265 and convert before processing (which defeats the utility of the expanded dynamic range for that processing instance?) ? Or, is the alternative to invest in Premier to process straight from H.265?

I suppose I could relent and just shoot and process 1080, but I really like to get the best out of color and dynamic range.

(I'm not a pro- and not a Mac user- my tool is a MS Surface 2 with an i7-8650, 16 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GTX 150 discrete graphics)

Last edited:
Remember not all i7s are equal. There are many generations.
Only the 6th generation (skylake) support playback properly and the 7th (Kaby lake) have better again. Any i7 before that wont support hardware HEVC.

I use Premiere Pro (and maybe after effects) for editing.

OP: Just this morning thanks to a video by Jeremy Judkins I believe is his name, pointed out a mistake he made. To whit, he mixed 24 FPS clips with 30 FPS clips. If you add clips to your timeline in this order The 30 FPS clip or clips will drop frames every few seconds causing the stutter you’re talking about.

KB

Reactions: mreloc
OP: Just this morning thanks to a video by Jeremy Judkins I believe is his name, pointed out a mistake he made. To whit, he mixed 24 FPS clips with 30 FPS clips. If you add clips to your timeline in this order The 30 FPS clip or clips will drop frames every few seconds causing the stutter you’re talking about.

KB

This may be my issue- my first clip was 24fps then i added 30fps clips - even so, there seems to be conflicting info on Resolve’s ability to process 10 bit h265

This may be my issue- my first clip was 24fps then i added 30fps clips - even so, there seems to be conflicting info on Resolve’s ability to process 10 bit h265
Yep- confirmed. I'd combined 24 fps with 30fps and that made a mess. Just uploading a 30fps clip in 265 at 10bit worked just fine . SO- it seems that Davinci Resolve does indeed handle H.265 10bit- even the free version.

Reactions: Blades
I have the free version of Davinchi Resolve and can confirm H265 clips are supported and playback on Mac OS MojaveScreenshot 2018-09-02 at 19.48.32.png

Reactions: ksmusa
What export settings are you guys using?

Recently moved from Premiere to Resolve but finding it has no option for HEVC export.

If I export in H.264 does it defeat the purpose of recording in H.265?

No. It just means the file size will be bigger per the same quality.
Advantages are pretty much everything can play it.

Reactions: Callum
I have the free version of Davinchi Resolve and can confirm H265 clips are supported and playback on Mac OS Mojave

Thanks for that. I'm getting media offline, but the difference is that my clips say HEVC and not H.265. I want the 10bit for editing so I guess our camera settings are different for color profile.

EDIT: my mistake here. Free Resolve on Windows 10 *can* read/edit 4K 10bit HEVC files from M2P after installing this codec: Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

Last edited:
Reactions: Brewbud and Blades
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat