DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What video editing software are you all using?

hidaven

Reactions
Premiere Pro cs6 and elements 15 wont accept the d-log codec. What other software can I use that you all have tried with success and EASE which is most important......Thx

Anything cheaper to ease into this? What about Magic premiere? What would the various software need to do to handle the MP2’s h365 and d-log?

H: i’m certainly no expert and I have zero experience with the shareware versions of video editors so I can’t help you with that. But from my limited knowledge editing in Premiere, I can tell you that the answer to your question pretty much boils down to the resolution of the footage you’ll be editing.

HD is probably not a problem for most quality shareware editors but once you jump up to 4K, it’s a whole different ball of wax. Then of course there’s the power of the more expensive programs and the huge variety of editing tools they provide and then there’s the required horsepower and graphics capability of your confuser. I suppose it simply depends on how good you want your videos to look.

You could Google “video editing software bottlenecks“ and that will probably tell you what you need to know. Hope that helps

KB

FinalCut supports h.265 natively... or so I’ve heard.

Resolve supports h.265, but I think only if you buy the Studio version.

Both of those are about $300.00

Or use ffmpeg to convert your footage to h.264

^ lol

First flight tonight and Resolve (free) cannot open the H.265 HEVC files created by the drone. :-(

EDIT: found this article: Transcode and Import H.265/HEVC to DaVinci Resolve |

Downloaded the free resolve and it opens it fine. I just need a degree in quantum mechanics to figure it out.....lol. Question, if I film in h.265 and convert to h.264 do I still retain all the wonderful benefits of h.265? Oh, and the free version does handle 4K.

Downloaded the free resolve and it opens it fine. I just need a degree in quantum mechanics to figure it out.....lol. Question, if I film in h.265 and convert to h.264 do I still retain all the wonderful benefits of h.265? Oh, and the free version does handle 4K.
No. But yes. But not really. Say your final product is going to be the widely used 8bit h.264 in the rec 709 colorspace. You will “lose” the benefits of the h.265 and the wide dynamic range and color gamut that the Mavic 2 captures in. BUT you get to choose which parts you retain and which parts you lose. And you’ll have the original material to work with for delivery to a higher quality codec and color space. In other words it will be easier to push around shadows, highlights and colors while you edit, before you render out. It’s kind of like capturing in 4K even though you will ultimately deliver in 1080P.

You will probably want to transcode your h.265 into a codec that is more friendly to editing software. The files are HUGE compared to h.265, BUT that means the PC doesnt have to expend much effort processing the video signal while you edit. It makes editing software feel faster and more responsive. I use ProRes 422HQ rec2020 on the mac because prores is an Apple codec. Rec2020 because most new Macs (including mine) have P3 displays which can display all the colors of rec2020. But if the project will be delivered in rec709 I set my viewers up to show that and edit that way.

Last edited:
PS, Filmora doesn't support h.265 from what it says on their website?

I use premier cc.

It does import H.265 but it really taxes your computer.

On H.264 my preview was at full quality and was always fluid.

With H.265 preview is at 1/4 and still stuttering and skipping frames.

Another thing I noticed, that exporting to H.265 the max bit rate you can choose is 20Mb/s. Not sure if I've got a setting wrong somewhere

Going to try Resolve 15 later

Reactions: Butterland
H.265 uses hardware acceleration on newer inter chips. Well worth using, at least as a long term plan when considering hardware and software.

H.265 uses hardware acceleration on newer inter chips. Well worth using, at least as a long term plan when considering hardware and software.
Any idea what chips are supported?

My laptop has a 6820HK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661