DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing... my Achilles heel.

Spanish Flyer

Reactions
Dear friends,
Even though I have been working with Photoshop for years, this video "thing" is a totally different cattle of fish for me; I'm trying hard, but my 65 years don't help much in remembering everything I read or see in youtube; right now it is my Achilles Heel...modify whole video color with DaVinci.JPG

I'm trying to "build" my first video and the only thing I learned is to cut and rejoing "pieces", to make one whole video.

RIght now I'm stuck with the "color thing", where I'm trying to correct/modify all sectors on the video, but whatever I do I can't make all sectors change at the same time; I can change one, but the rest remain as is.... (by the way, I'm using DaVinci 12.5).
Can someone guide me through this step?

Much obliged,

Spanish Flyer

PS. added a screenshot showing where exactly I got "jammed"

While waiting for an answer, I uploaded the video to YouTube in low 720 quality; of course, no color adjustments whatsoever and as I said, poor image quality.
Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

I am no expert but I don't think you can change all the pieces at once. I am actually glad that this is the case. If you start with a 10 minute segment and for some reason you want to color grade the whole segment then do it before you begin to slice it up. Once it is broken up you have to do each piece separately. What I do, is that I do color grading last. I break up the RAW footage into segments then I lay down the music track and start to arrange the segments to go with the music. When that is all done I now go in and color grade each segment. I prefer it that way because typically each segment is a complete shot and the lighting between different shots varies, so it makes sense to adjust each segment separately.

Rob

My advise is stop wearing 65 as a disability and stop talking down your memory and abilities, it'll bring them down.

I know that in those years you have you must have stumbled on the fact that you are no more nor less than you think you are.

[emoji16][emoji106]

My advise is stop wearing 65 as a disability and stop talking down your memory and abilities, it'll bring them down.

I know that in those years you have you must have stumbled on the fact that you are no more nor less than you think you are.

[emoji16][emoji106]

Try doing what you're taught in those tutorials you speak of right after watching. Even if it'll be with a bad outcome, you don't lesrn anything by being told how to do it. You'll learn trial and error.

While waiting for an answer, I uploaded the video to YouTube in low 720 quality; of course, no color adjustments whatsoever and as I said, poor image quality.
Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

Muy bueno tocayo!

Not sure about that software... stating you come from photoshop im surprised you have not gone with premiere pro

Premiere pro has something called adding an "adjustment layer"
Ultimately covers the entire timeline and only requires you basically to color correct one time.

Keep in mind though if you switch from let's say mavic to a dslr video in your timeline your gonna wanna color correct that specific frame cause it's 2 different cameras

Thank you curso88 (gracias)... Had to reduce the quality to 720 for youtube, but you should see it at 4K!!
And Rcdude1990, my reason for chosing DaVinci 12.5 from Premiere is simple, DaVinci is free as long as I want it (with its limitations), but Premiere is a pay monthly/yearly and I can't afford it; my Photoshop is the CS6 and I only paid once for it. But you are right, if I could afford it the logical choice would be Premiere by all means :rolleyes:

I am no expert but I don't think you can change all the pieces at once. I am actually glad that this is the case. If you start with a 10 minute segment and for some reason you want to color grade the whole segment then do it before you begin to slice it up. Once it is broken up you have to do each piece separately. What I do, is that I do color grading last. I break up the RAW footage into segments then I lay down the music track and start to arrange the segments to go with the music. When that is all done I now go in and color grade each segment. I prefer it that way because typically each segment is a complete shot and the lighting between different shots varies, so it makes sense to adjust each segment separately.

Rob
Thanks a lot Rob for the explanation and it makes sense; problem is I don't know how to adjust each slice so it matches the rest; tried it and I get slight differences in light and contrast on each sector...:( One thing is clear I will get there in the end and I will be laughing about my "entry level" I'm in now ;)

[emoji16][emoji106]

Thanks a lot Svavar, I already feel much younger Thumbswayup. Funny thing is that I had two windows open while I was doing my "experimentation"; one with the video and the other the DaVinci program... But I get it now, it must have been the teacher! (actually it was a crash course and I didn't get half of what he was saying... or totally missed talking about it) :eek:

We'll get there sooner or later.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Last edited:
Hello Spanish Flying Man from a fellow European!

I'm not dissimilar to you, probably closer in age than most of the youngsters around here and I struggle with these complex video editing programmes.

I used to use Pinnacle [v. 7, I think] and loved it, then tried something from Sony that wasn't dissimilar.

I use a macbook now after decades on windows and find imovie absolutely perfect for what I need and for a relatively, no very cheap price for that it gives me.

I don't have time to learn Photoshop so I use a very basic video editor. It does almost everything I need and there was virtually no learning curve. Why not try something different?

Reactions: SussexBedouin
Try doing what you're taught in those tutorials you speak of right after watching. Even if it'll be with a bad outcome, you don't lesrn anything by being told how to do it. You'll learn trial and error.

I find having two or three monitors helpful. You can put the YouTube tutorial on one monitor and your editing app on the other and then pause as required to check out the feature just presented.

Premiere pro has something called adding an "adjustment layer"
Ultimately covers the entire timeline and only requires you basically to color correct one time.

Keep in mind though if you switch from let's say mavic to a dslr video in your timeline your gonna wanna color correct that specific frame cause it's 2 different cameras

Thanks RC Dude I did not know that. I have only been working with Premiere for 2 weeks, I am use to Photoshop and lightroom but until the Mavic I really had no interest in pro video, other than slapping the thing into Corel VideoStudio, and doing a bit of cutting and then throwing it on my HD or YouTube and watching it. The Mavic requires sound tracks and lots of editing and color grading. I don't know if I will use an adjustment layer but it's good to know its there.

Rob

I've only just discovered the adjustment layer in premiere pro too. It's a revelation as not only does it allow colour grading over the whole sequence (if you want) it also frees you up to do all sorts of other creative effects/adjustments at any time in the sequence you choose. What looked unbelievably complicated initially, is now unbelievably simple.

Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

Spanish Flyer, What platform are you using, Windows or Mac?.

That is "El mirador del Fito" (Fito's lookout), in Asturias, north of Spain. I am from that area. Great to see both spanish pilots and sooooo familiar landscapes :)
Keep up the good work and "Puxa Asturies!" :)

Reactions: Spanish Flyer
Not sure if it helps, I'm a newbie to both, but watched a video that said change the clip to a smart object first you can then change the color of the entire clip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato