DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Software Choices: For the novice

RickinWaST

Reactions
I'm getting my M2Pro on Monday. Never'd used a software program for editing video. I do have an extensive background with PS CC which I still use for my still photography. I've reviewed a few related posts and realize members have their favorites.

**At this point I do NOT wish to purchase a video editing software. I've installed Adobe Rush on my iPhone.

Here's my questions...

(1) Stay with PS CC? If so, compared to other programs (Excluding paid software.), what are the "pro" and "con" aspects?

(2) Davinci Resolve 16 - Compared to other "free' software, does it met your needs? What are the limitations you have experienced? What do you like about it?

Thanks for your input!

I use Davinci Resolve 16 and it is EXTREMLY POWERFUL which is great for power users like me that have a $4,500 laptop to run it on, However because it is so powerful you will NEED a powerful computer to run it on. For general video editing on my laptop when I just want to make a YouTube video VideoPad by NCH wins hands down for me. Lots of great features like multiple video and audio tracks, color curves, plug-ins, and it's very lightweight. (It will run on just about anything made in the last 5 years) Plus, if you want the Pro version it's only $69. (Basically just a commercial license so you can legally make money from your videos.)
Hope this helps!

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is pretty good.

These are all great suggestions! Even with my PS CC background...

How does one choose? What does one look for that stands out from the others?

With my novice entry into drone flying (M2Pro), I am not seeking to be the next Ron Howard producer!

Nile...

Thanks for mentioning VideoPad. How is the learning curve and online tutorials ( YouTube.)?

Wow, $4,000+ computer! I know a log about computers. Wish they had them when I was in grad school doing my thesis!

VideoPad is really easy to use, and since it is a Non-Linear-Editor (NLE) Like Resolve or Premiere Pro many features and keyboard shortcuts transfer over. NCH does have a number of tutorial videos embedded into the software but outside that there aren't that many unfortunately. I edit most of the videos on my YouTube channel with VP. Here's a video I made the other day using ONLY my Mavic and NCH:

NOTE: Please DON'T Share this video since it was intended only for Patrons to my channel.

Thank you for the replies! After some careful consideration I’m starting out with iMovies for my Mac laptop to learn the basics and may move on to Final Cut Pro.

Last edited:
I have been liking LumaFusion on my regular iPad. Upgraded to a Pro yesterday, so we'll see if it is faster, but honestly, I didn't notice any issues on the standard 2018 iPad.

Check out VSDC free version

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1