DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing software

allen deckard

Reactions
New guy here.

Anyone have a link to a simple list of video editing software with maybe pluses minuses of each?
I’m new to editing video. As in I’ve done little more than taking good video mainly because of good locations, example reef diving and Kentucky waterfalls in remote locations. Then simple edits and using utube.

Anyway.

I’m looking for if it exists a simple to get started with editing package that as I grow stronger has the capability to grow with me.

Putting it another way.

I need something I can understand to start but can study and learn all the features and make better stuff as I get better.

An example might be Microsoft excel how a simple spreadsheet is easy but it has amazing capabilities as you grow and get more into it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I just don’t want to buy and study a junk editor only to relearn something new in 6 months. On the flip side I don’t want to get something that is so complicated that I get frustrated and make junk.

Thanks I know it’s been asked a million times but that’s a forum for ya. I looked around but couldn’t honestly find what I was looking for.

Again much appreciated.

I was using Adobe Premier Pro but last video I tried the free DaVinci Resolve 15 and loved it! More intuitive and better workflow. Below is my research from other posts here - theres a link to a good tutorial of Resolve, watch it first to see if its for you :)

Free video editor: Media Composer | First - Free Video Editing Software - Avid
opensource: shortCut
FXhome - Powerful creative software for filmmakers and photographers - fxhome.com

**DaVinci Resolve 15 (free version) & Fusion for effects
DaVinci Resolve VFX / Transition Tutorials - YouTube

DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design
Blackmagic Design

Windows Movie maker
Want to download a safe version of Movie Maker

Sony Vegas Pro - Magix Movie Edit Pro
Movavi

Cyberlink Power Director 16. Around $50.
LUT's (Look Up tables) for color correction

Royalty Free Audio files: Audio Library – No Copyright Music

Wow couldn’t ask for a better reply thanks a ton.

No problem.
Here's my first crack at using Resolve so you can see what the free version is capable of - I still have much to learn :)

Here is also a list of free video editing software for Windows 10.
I'd probably start with the most basic tools like Avidemux (just for cutting and splicing) and Movie Maker (to get the idea of transitions, compositions, and scenes) and then move to a bit more advanced tools like VSDC (for things like split screen oor picture-in-picture) and Davinci Resolve (for color grading magic)

I'm also a fan of DaVinci Resolve. The "free" version is loaded with features, and you can start off with the basics, then learn one or two new "tricks" a week. Tone, how did you get the end scrolling credits, and do you use additive dissolve between frames? I'm still learning too.

Tone, how did you get the end scrolling credits, and do you use additive dissolve between frames? I'm still learning too.

Sorry, EDIT:

Here's the only video I watched, probably best explains it:
DaVinci Resolve VFX / Transition Tutorials - YouTube

Below shows my timeline to give you an idea of dissolve - drag the white sliders in edit.
To get scrolling text: Toolbox/ Titles/ Scroll

You can also see my export settings below - I tried a few times because of artifacts, this worked well but if someone knows better?

DavinciRenderSettings.jpg

Last edited:
Many Thanks! I tinkered with the reverse play on one of my shots today. It's a lot easier to fly toward something while filming than to fly backwards. Plus you have the safety of your forward sensors to protect you from running into something. In editing, just reverse that particular cut. -Makes you look like an outstanding drone pilot!

Last edited:
New guy here.

Anyone have a link to a simple list of video editing software with maybe pluses minuses of each?
I’m new to editing video. As in I’ve done little more than taking good video mainly because of good locations, example reef diving and Kentucky waterfalls in remote locations. Then simple edits and using utube.

Anyway.

I’m looking for if it exists a simple to get started with editing package that as I grow stronger has the capability to grow with me.

Putting it another way.

I need something I can understand to start but can study and learn all the features and make better stuff as I get better.

An example might be Microsoft excel how a simple spreadsheet is easy but it has amazing capabilities as you grow and get more into it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I just don’t want to buy and study a junk editor only to relearn something new in 6 months. On the flip side I don’t want to get something that is so complicated that I get frustrated and make junk.

Thanks I know it’s been asked a million times but that’s a forum for ya. I looked around but couldn’t honestly find what I was looking for.

Again much appreciated.

I use cyber link power director. It is easy to use.

Reactions: allen deckard
Tried a few. DaVinci Resolve is nice but it lacks a key component in that it does not export in h.265. Looking to try the newest power director 16 that does just that and let’s you import LUTs as well. Saving half the file size with h.265 with better quality is a must these days......

The "free" version of Resolve doesn't have as many of the features as the paid version. It's designed to allow you to get a feel for the program itself. The $300 that you'll spend for the paid version adds all of those missing components, plus more that you hsven't even thought of!

For me, now that I've enjoyed the Beta version, I'll spring for the full=featured version. With DaVinci, you only pay once, and you'll be entitled to all of the future improvements!

Nose, I have the paid version. It doesn't let me render or save in h.265. real bummer for 300.00 Power director 16 for 59.00 let's you so I'm scratching me head......

Wow! When I called them, I was told that it did. Let me contact them again. I'll let you know what they say. You MAY have saved me $300.

-Forgot that today was Labor Day and they're closed. H264 is what I have on the free version. Do you use Quicktime or MP4 when you render? I'm also trying to figure out an easy way to insert a clip in the middle of the Timeline without manually moving everything else over one at a time. I know there's an easy way, but I've not stumbled across it yet.

What does not kill us makes us stronger

I use Shotcut which is a nice free open source package for video editing.
DaVinci did not run on my aging PC.

For all image editing and especially 360image editing I can highly recommend Affinity Photo.
Very good software at a very reasonable price. Comes for Mac and windows and does not have the stupid rental scheme which Adobe has.

For viewing 360 images ,on an Android tablet you can use an app called VR Media Player by Poppolab.

Under windows you can use a software called fspviewer.
Welcome to the FSPViewer web pages

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803