DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Effect of skinning/wrapping heat sink

Ken K

Reactions
The Mavic 2s have a metal bottom on the body that I believe is a heat sink which conducts heat out of the body.
Some of the new wrap designs cover this metal.
I'm wary of applying such a wrap as it seems to me it would hinder the cooling function.
Any other opinions?
Have any of the wrap designers tested this?

It looks like the M2 does not have the same cooling fins that the MP has so it may not be used as a heat sink. @Thunderdrones may know.

I wouldnt wrap the metal parts, they are getting really warm.
just my 2ct
Nice post. Strange that they did away with the heat sink fins on the M2 when it is obviously getting hot. Perhaps they improved the internal air flow or used more heat-resistant components. Nah! The change is more likely because the part is cheaper to produce without the fins.

Here is a response to a query I sent to Wrapgrade.

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting us. We included the bottom part sticker in Mavic 2. This is applied to the metal part, but in Mavic 2 we confirmed that this part is not a heat sink. Unlike earlier Mavic Pro, it is not structured to transfer heat from an internal heat source. That part seems to be aluminum, but rather as a shield to isolate the circuit from radio waves rather than a heat sink. Please purchase with confidence.
Best regard,
Support Ninja Aki"

I'm skeptical. Think I'll wait for more comments / reviews.

What’s the chances of an aftermarket self adhearing heatsink being produced. That would help dissipate heat

If its metal and getting hot it is in fact a heat sink: does not matter whether it was intended to be on or not.

Since it is a heat sink exposed to air flow covering it with anything will not help heat dissipation.

Does it matter; I don't know but why chance it.

I even leave my battery in (and running the fans after a flight in hot weather) for a few minutes to help the little beast cool down some.

Further to my starting post in this thread, I have just viewed a new WrapGrade video illustrating the application of their Mavic 2 wrap.
Although they previously informed me that they are supplying a wrap for the metal bottom panel, used for heat transfer to outside of body, and it would do no harm to apply it, their video indicates otherwise.
They do show a quick image with the bottom wrapped in the hard copy instructions and show the panel for the bottom in the pattern layout (but it disappears), BUT they do not show it being applied and, at the end of the video, the finished application shows the bottom metal section BARE.
I think they may have changed their mind.
Kudos to them if this is the case and they have reacted accordingly.
Now will the other skin/wrap providers follow suit?

For the record... wrap is used in the automotive industry where hood temps regularly see 155-160 degrees F.

These drones don't see that high of a temp.

This is, what my Mavic Looks like after Firmware Update
Heatsink or not, its getting pretty hot.View attachment 47064
40°C is not that hot in relation to how hot the Mavic1 bottom gets. The Mavic2 has internal airflow that is disapated via vents on side.
Your FLIR photo is just showing the hottest part in pic as white which makes it look hot. If it was 70 or 90°C then I would be concerned and say it was also a heat sink but you are looking at the main part of drone where the mother board is inside and the internal air inside is warmer than anywhere else so naturally the body is going to be warmer.

For the record... wrap is used in the automotive industry where hood temps regularly see 155-160 degrees F.

These drones don't see that high of a temp.

I don't think the concern is whether the wrap gets damaged, but rather does the wrap trap enough heat to worry about damage to the MP2.

Reactions: AeroJ
I don't think the concern is whether the wrap gets damaged, but rather does the wrap trap enough heat to worry about damage to the MP2.
Exactly.
I've got $2600 can. invested in my drone and I've just started. Don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to risk it by covering a component that's meant to transfer heat.
My understanding is that heat damage to the electronics can be accumulative and may not be apparent until total failure so you may not even realize that you have a problem until it's too late.

Ok so if someone came out with a exact fit form fitting heat sink that uses thermal adhesive would you be OK with sticking that on? kinda turn the bottom into the look of the MP1 but added on. Maybe about 5mm tall fins. Design it to be light. Would most definitely aid in cooling with the exterior airflow

Drone Valley took the bottom plate off to repair the rc linking switch he broke pushing it in with a pen. He says the bottom plate is plastic and isn't a heat sink.

Drone Valley took the bottom plate off to repair the rc linking switch he broke pushing it in with a pen. He says the bottom plate is plastic and isn't a heat sink.

Awesome. It's at 3:50 exactly.

Also shown an image too. Doesn't look like like it's anything for heat dissipation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS