DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Embarrassing for Royal Navy

There's so many discrepancies between reports the whole thing sounds fabricated to me.
Tiny drone lands on Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier - BBC News
The wind warning won't "make you land" it sounds like someone knows the basics and has invented an elaborate tale from second hand information.

In any case the ship isn't commissioned yet it is still being fitted out, so correct headline would be drone lands briefly in dockyard.

BBC managed to use Phantom2 shot again, stock for every imaginable drone story for past several years

There's so many discrepancies between reports the whole thing sounds fabricated to me.
Tiny drone lands on Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier - BBC News
The wind warning won't "make you land" it sounds like someone knows the basics and has invented an elaborate tale from second hand information.

In any case the ship isn't commissioned yet it is still being fitted out, so correct headline would be drone lands briefly in dockyard.

BBC managed to use Phantom2 shot again, stock for every imaginable drone story for past several years

I'm with you on the "make you land" I'm sure he had an advisory about wind, and has embellished it to give an excuse as to why he landed. Another report stated that it landed automatically with the wind warning, which we all know is BS. As the ship has no armaments I'm not sure how it was meant to react to the threat, but it's the story that will be embarrassing none the less to Joe Public, as they'll have a drone bad and carrier not fit for purpose rolled into one.

More inconsistencies... BBC report says Phantom (with 4 mile range!?) whilst another report MoD call in cops after snapper lands drone on Royal Navy aircraft carrier says Parrot Bebop. BBC says it normally avoids steel structures. Eh? Like it has a metal detector in the bottom that stops it landing.

Last edited:
I don't see this as embarrassing for the Navy at all as the ship isn't yet commissioned, if they'd managed to land on the Nimitz-class carrier HW Bush (also in the area as part of Operation Saxon)that may be a bit more embarrassing but there's no chance of that.

I live in the area and was joking about flying the Mavic out to the carrier but didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to do it, really don't need this sort of stuff in the headlines.

Its a ship undergoing sea trials (its not HMS yet, not commissioned).
It may or may not have had a marine search radar on, certainly wouldn't have had any air search radar on nor would it need to.
This isn't an active warship on any sort of deployment, its a flat, floating bit of metal undergoing trials so why would it be scanning for threats?

The oxygen thief that did this didn't do anything clever. He landed a drone on a massive ship. He also violated several CAA regulations in doing so.

Looks like they learnt their lesson! [emoji1]

Read the article below from BBC news this morning.

3d845ccf6912f88457789828fa5dcd41.jpg

They way its shapping up, (F35) that mavic maybe the one and only flying thing that ever lands on its deck for many many years ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: M K
Its a pretend carrier anyway. Incapable of launching proper aircraft so no refuelling, fixed wing radar, countermeasure aircraft or anything of the sort.
It'll only fly F35 and the cut down version at that with very limited payload and range, NO buddy air-air refuelling and only a fraction of the available inventory of weapons. Their range is so low it cant effectively operate without protection from land based aircraft.
Massively over priced but extremely under featured boat. A carrier that cant project force unless its within range of land based assets or someone elses navy.

As for the NFZ, this has been scheduled for months, long before the drone incident. Purely because of all the helicopter and other traffic around the area due to the publicity of it arriving. That and portsmouth is a naval base and airfield.

Reactions: Budmancan

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929