DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Embry-Riddle Study Evaluates Increasing Risks of "Drones" to Aircraft

There are a lot of poor assumptions in the study, but some eye opening information about how poorly some follow the guidelines.

2018 Evaluating Small UAS Near Midair Collision Risk Using AeroScope and ADS-B

During May 2018 for 13 days tracked sUAS flights near KDAB (Class C Airspace).

How can we as a group show "Drones" are not scary or threatening to manned flight?
Just using the word “Drone” to some - want to shoot it out of the sky with a shotgun, thinking your peeping into homes, and SkyNet is upon us. It’s a eerie autonomous creature with a brain. Better wrap it up like a cute kitty cat if your wanting approval from most people ;)

I read that report fully. WOW! Drone pilots ARE idiots! I cant assume that the Daytona beach DJI owners are dumber than the DJI owners anywhere else. So if this is fact, and I believe it is. Drones should be banned, because it seems the average person cant be trusted to not fly near major airports, Almost everyone that flew in those 13 days did something wrong it seems.The whole of Daytona Beach is within 5 miles of an international airport AND a couple others.
Awakening that read was! Thanks for posting it!

Thought provoking study.

Recently, I made the decision to fly in class G airspace; only. This requires I travel approximately 25 miles for locations that are interesting.

However, classification of airspace can be misleading.

There is a lake near me with 436 miles of shoreline, a portion of which is 200 feet from my back yard. According to the FAA (sectionals) and Airmap, the lake is clearly in class G airspace. However, the lake is operated by the Corps of Engineers, which makes the adjacent land (can't take off or land from), and the airspace above the water "federal lands".

Even though it is thought that the airspace belongs to the FAA control, the FAA can delegate control of the airspace to the Corp. So, even the air is off limits.

In this case, the FAA should denote the otherwise class G airspace, the lake, as restricted airspace. Otherwise, it is misleading.

The corp operates the dam, and a handful of corp parks. The dam is several NM from where I have flown before. According to the corps published literature, all activity is banned from within 500 feet of the dam. I can respect that, and I am happy to steer clear of the corp parks, also. But, there are 436 miles of mostly undeveloped lake shoreline, and it's all off limits.

The corps argument is concern over privacy and quiet enjoyment. And yet, bass boats, jet skis, fireworks, and poacher' gun shots (deer in or out of season) are all going off all of the time. Those are much more disturbing than a drone. The corps doesn't even mark the parks as a No Drone Zone. The parks are used six months out of the year, and only the most die hard of fisherman are out in the winter.

In this and similar cases, there needs to be some compromise.

At this point in drone history, no compromise is in visual line of sight.

I do believe that implementation of the new rules; particularly testing, and improved/enforced GEO fencing will help those that are trying to abide by the rules regain access to the airspace. I suspect the most casual participants will drop off. However, I suspect GEO fencing will be improved to the point that a RTH will be initiated whenever anyone violates the rules as predetermined by authorities possessing a strict interpretation of what used to be guidelines.

Big brother is coming, and he did not get a drone for his birthday.

Update 11/30/2018. I have since spoken with a lawyer who specializes in drone law. He stated that the park ranger delegate known as "sheep dog" is wrong, and that the FAA cannot, and may not delegate airspace to any person or entity. Therefore, while I may not take off from or land in the federal lands, I can fly over the lake as the lake, in this case, is clearly in class G airspace. And, if need, be make an emergency landing on corp/federal lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDawg
I read the complete Embry-Riddle Report & have some observations & comments:

1. This report was done in the Daytona Beach area - a high density population and a high density of air traffic (10 "aerodromes") including international commercial jets, private aviation, helicopter, sea plane and off shore "banner flying" traffic. For the commercial & private pilots this is considered a high workload area. The approach rules for each airport, communication with controllers, the tower, weather, local traffic awareness AND flying their airplane can make going in & out of the area quite stressful.

2. They used data recording software (DJI's AeroScope software) that examined all Mavic products flying for the period of 13 days. They can record your type of drone & its flight data (drone serial number, date, time, duration, location, altitude, etc) quite accurately, as well as how many flights were made that day.

3. FYI, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) is immediately adjacent to the Daytona Beach international Airport to the North East. It is a large, multi building campus (approx 0.5 X 0.5 miles sq.). They have nearly 400 flights daily for their students. Their web site describes their fleet as: " ... the university’s fleet of 42 Cessna Skyhawks, 10 Diamond DA42 L-360s, and the Super Decathlon". Lots of low time pilots flying in the high workload, high stress area. I understand their concern for maintaining a safe airspace around the area they fly.

3. There were 73 different DJI drones observed, producing 190 flights during the 13 day period. Very small sample size - more of a proof of concept experiment rather than a conclusive exercise.

4. 96.8% (n = 184) of the drone flights were detected within 5 Statute Miles of an aerodrome. 84.2% (n = 160) detected within 5 SM of two or more aerodromes. This puts the commercial & private very ill at ease; were are encroaching in their high work load area. In the test area drone flyers were not flying according the FAA requirements to keep away from these high density flight areas. Note: the E-R Report made no mention of any of the 190 flights were conducted by FAA Part 107 certified pilots.

5. Of the 73 different DJI drones, 8 drones (with no specific number of flights mentioned - an oversight or intentional omission is not known) operated from three large, open areas within 1 mile of the Daytona International airport ( NASCAR Speedway parking lots Volusia Mall parking lots , and commercial parking lots near Builder’s Square). It appears the vast majority were very low level with only two reported as "58 ft" & "nearly 200 ft.". In my opinion, these drone pilots were trying to fly safely on one of the few open areas in the Daytona area but they DID BUST the no fly zone around the airport.

6. 5 out of 190 flights busted the 400 ft. max, height for drones (single drone pilot?, multiple pilots?). One of the 5 flights went to 1,200 ft. No excuse for these violations! PLEASE NOTE: 185 of 190 flights DID NOT bust the maximum limit for drone flying altitude.

7. Geofencing Effectiveness - The E-R Report stated: "All sUAS flights detected during the field sampling occurred within one or more geofencing zones. The collection area contained one Restricted Zone, two Authorization Zones, two Enhanced Warning Zones, and five Warning Zones". Well yes, they were flying their drones in a very busy air space. I bet most were Recreational drone pilots with little or no knowledge of these Zones & UAS Facility Maps. Improvements to the inputs to Geofencing (read FAA completion of the UAS Facility Maps & LAANC system) will improve the data drone pilots will improve Geofencing Effectiveness. Mandatory training from DJI ( or someone else) on the proper use of Geofencing might be good think to debate.

8. E-R's Conclusions - The E-R Report stated: "The data suggests that cumulatively, single- and multi-family homes make up 48% of sUAS operating locations. This data strongly suggests that a preponderance of sUAS operators are flying for personal use around their own residences. Commercial, industrial, and public locations also appear popular flight locations of sUAS operations—primarily in parking lots or other adjacent open areas...". My response: Other than the flying within so many ft. of the 10 high risk Zones these flights indicate to me these drone pilots were trying to act safely by using flat open spaces or flying low in their own residential areas. Note to E-R: If a commercial or private pilot was flying below 400 ft in these areas they were experiencing problems NOT CAUSED by those 48% of the drone pilots. I believe the FAA should allow a "Special Drone Airspace" in those areas mentioned in the Report of say "max 50 to 75 ft. to allow drones to fly recreationally.

9. E-R's Recommendations: (Geofencing) - The E-R Report stated: "...The authors propose manufacturers consider modifying Geofencing protections to align with the FAA LAANC UASFM grid system and impose altitude restrictions that align with UASFM altitude limits within each respective grid area...". This is a one sided response from the big boy flying community that totally locks out drone flying from the Daytona area. There was no consideration from E-R to accommodate the Recreational drone pilots. FYI, many of the Commercial flying community have this same attitude toward private pilots.

Tony's Conclusions:
A. I feel that the drone pilots are suffering from some of the established flying community that the very first automobile owners suffered from the "horse-centered society" of the early 1900's. For instance: Autos can't drive faster that a horse's walking pace so not to scare them and autos must yield to horse drawn carriages on bridges. Highly capable, economically priced drones are new hobby/sport/business tool that will require an evolution of the rules of the road in the crowed airspace. It must not be one sided.

B. E-R's Report was a admittedly small sample size, both geographically & duration. I would shout a VERY LOUD OBJECTION if anyone tries to change FFA or Local rules based upon this sole document. I suggest representatives from the drone community participate in redesigning any future E-R tests.

C. Education of ALL DRONE PILOTS concerning flying in congested areas. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University should design an inexpensive course for flying in Daytona for drone pilots as a model for the country. They need to dumb down to FAA Airspace rules regarding Classes; it's very confusing. Base the course around the use of Geofencing.

D. Improve Geofencing to help the drone pilots. We can do away with needing to read confusing FAA VFR Sectional Charts for drone flyers. We have evolved automobile GPS systems to eliminate the paper map - let's do the same with Geofencing.

E. Allow drone pilots to fly at lower maximums (50 to 75 ft) in residential & large parking lots even though they might be within a high risk area defined by current FAA flight maps.

Wow, I didn't plan to write a comment this long but I feel that it was needed to call out the short comings of the E-R Report. Also as a retired Project Manager I felt obliged to bring solutions to the table for discussion, not just shake a fist at the problem. Please feel free to call out my flaws but please offer constructive alternatives to refine the possible solution.
Thanks,
Tony

Reactions: FoxhallGH
this report is just more ammo for the regulators and is just another negative report about UAVs

Reactions: frank candor

1. This report was done in the Daytona Beach area - a high density population and a high density of air traffic (10 "aerodromes") including international commercial jets, private aviation, helicopter, sea plane and off shore "banner flying" traffic. For the commercial & private pilots this is considered a high workload area. The approach rules for each airport, communication with controllers, the tower, weather, local traffic awareness AND flying their airplane can make going in & out of the area quite stressful.

2. They used data recording software (DJI's AeroScope software) that examined all Mavic products flying for the period of 13 days. They can record your type of drone & its flight data (drone serial number, date, time, duration, location, altitude, etc) quite accurately, as well as how many flights were made that day.

3. FYI, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) is immediately adjacent to the Daytona Beach international Airport to the North East. It is a large, multi building campus (approx 0.5 X 0.5 miles sq.). They have nearly 400 flights daily for their students. Their web site describes their fleet as: " ... the university’s fleet of 42 Cessna Skyhawks, 10 Diamond DA42 L-360s, and the Super Decathlon". Lots of low time pilots flying in the high workload, high stress area. I understand their concern for maintaining a safe airspace around the area they fly.

3. There were 73 different DJI drones observed, producing 190 flights during the 13 day period. Very small sample size - more of a proof of concept experiment rather than a conclusive exercise.

4. 96.8% (n = 184) of the drone flights were detected within 5 Statute Miles of an aerodrome. 84.2% (n = 160) detected within 5 SM of two or more aerodromes. This puts the commercial & private very ill at ease; were are encroaching in their high work load area. In the test area drone flyers were not flying according the FAA requirements to keep away from these high density flight areas. Note: the E-R Report made no mention of any of the 190 flights were conducted by FAA Part 107 certified pilots.

5. Of the 73 different DJI drones, 8 drones (with no specific number of flights mentioned - an oversight or intentional omission is not known) operated from three large, open areas within 1 mile of the Daytona International airport ( NASCAR Speedway parking lots Volusia Mall parking lots , and commercial parking lots near Builder’s Square). It appears the vast majority were very low level with only two reported as "58 ft" & "nearly 200 ft.". In my opinion, these drone pilots were trying to fly safely on one of the few open areas in the Daytona area but they DID BUST the no fly zone around the airport.

6. 5 out of 190 flights busted the 400 ft. max, height for drones (single drone pilot?, multiple pilots?). One of the 5 flights went to 1,200 ft. No excuse for these violations! PLEASE NOTE: 185 of 190 flights DID NOT bust the maximum limit for drone flying altitude.

7. Geofencing Effectiveness - The E-R Report stated: "All sUAS flights detected during the field sampling occurred within one or more geofencing zones. The collection area contained one Restricted Zone, two Authorization Zones, two Enhanced Warning Zones, and five Warning Zones". Well yes, they were flying their drones in a very busy air space. I bet most were Recreational drone pilots with little or no knowledge of these Zones & UAS Facility Maps. Improvements to the inputs to Geofencing (read FAA completion of the UAS Facility Maps & LAANC system) will improve the data drone pilots will improve Geofencing Effectiveness. Mandatory training from DJI ( or someone else) on the proper use of Geofencing might be good think to debate.

8. E-R's Conclusions - The E-R Report stated: "The data suggests that cumulatively, single- and multi-family homes make up 48% of sUAS operating locations. This data strongly suggests that a preponderance of sUAS operators are flying for personal use around their own residences. Commercial, industrial, and public locations also appear popular flight locations of sUAS operations—primarily in parking lots or other adjacent open areas...". My response: Other than the flying within so many ft. of the 10 high risk Zones these flights indicate to me these drone pilots were trying to act safely by using flat open spaces or flying low in their own residential areas. Note to E-R: If a commercial or private pilot was flying below 400 ft in these areas they were experiencing problems NOT CAUSED by those 48% of the drone pilots. I believe the FAA should allow a "Special Drone Airspace" in those areas mentioned in the Report of say "max 50 to 75 ft. to allow drones to fly recreationally.

9. E-R's Recommendations: (Geofencing) - The E-R Report stated: "...The authors propose manufacturers consider modifying Geofencing protections to align with the FAA LAANC UASFM grid system and impose altitude restrictions that align with UASFM altitude limits within each respective grid area...". This is a one sided response from the big boy flying community that totally locks out drone flying from the Daytona area. There was no consideration from E-R to accommodate the Recreational drone pilots. FYI, many of the Commercial flying community have this same attitude toward private pilots.

Tony's Conclusions:
A. I feel that the drone pilots are suffering from some of the established flying community that the very first automobile owners suffered from the "horse-centered society" of the early 1900's. For instance: Autos can't drive faster that a horse's walking pace so not to scare them and autos must yield to horse drawn carriages on bridges. Highly capable, economically priced drones are new hobby/sport/business tool that will require an evolution of the rules of the road in the crowed airspace. It must not be one sided.

B. E-R's Report was a admittedly small sample size, both geographically & duration. I would shout a VERY LOUD OBJECTION if anyone tries to change FFA or Local rules based upon this sole document. I suggest representatives from the drone community participate in redesigning any future E-R tests.

C. Education of ALL DRONE PILOTS concerning flying in congested areas. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University should design an inexpensive course for flying in Daytona for drone pilots as a model for the country. They need to dumb down to FAA Airspace rules regarding Classes; it's very confusing. Base the course around the use of Geofencing.

D. Improve Geofencing to help the drone pilots. We can do away with needing to read confusing FAA VFR Sectional Charts for drone flyers. We have evolved automobile GPS systems to eliminate the paper map - let's do the same with Geofencing.

E. Allow drone pilots to fly at lower maximums (50 to 75 ft) in residential & large parking lots even though they might be within a high risk area defined by current FAA flight maps.

Wow, I didn't plan to write a comment this long but I feel that it was needed to call out the short comings of the E-R Report. Also as a retired Project Manager I felt obliged to bring solutions to the table for discussion, not just shake a fist at the problem. Please feel free to call out my flaws but please offer constructive alternatives to refine the possible solution.
Thanks,
Tony
Great summing up Tony - Thanks ... I fly in the UK, but I'm interested in this because it seems the CAA are following FAA guidance pretty closely in regard to sUAV operation on this side of the pond.

There are a few 'diamonds in the rough' here though I think ... 12 days is an extremely short sample period, so it would be unprecedented to use this report as a keystone in future legislation. But saying that, it showcases not only the few 'idiots' flying on runway approach paths and at crazy heights, but it does highlight a large population of users who are flying in a restricted way - which must be frustrating for them - and shows that there are a lot of folks out there who ['may'] know the rules and are trying to fly safely - even though they know that doing their hobby is bending those rules.
Also - it's a bit alarmist - in that I don't know of anybody who upon seeing a banner-towing light a/c coming at where there drone was, wouldn't head for the deck! I'd be a lot more worried if during the 12 days of the research there was a near miss or two - But playing devil's advocate - maybe a lot of this report is showing that the majority of Drone operators are aware of Civil Aviation needs and in general, operate in ways to maintain clearance? :eek:
It would also be useful to note how many of those 6,117 'sightings of potentially unsafe use' between 2014 and 2018 took place in that Daytona Beach area - as you could look at it another way and say "Despite the high use of Drones in this area, there are very few near misses and collisions with Civil Aviation ..."
This also highlights how the DJI Aeroscope could be used to 'police' the air in an area like this, and identify those idiots that are bringing us into disrepute. That might be the way to get public confidence back ...

I would also point out that the study produced not one single incident between drones and aircraft. Not even a pilot reported sighting.
In 190 DJI only flights what about other model drones that are far more in circulation? Could we double the drone flights in the same area over that time if we count the Autels , Syma’s , and the countless others ?
Still no reported conflicts. T o me this is a plus not a minus.

I would also point out that the study produced not one single incident between drones and aircraft. Not even a pilot reported sighting.
In 190 DJI only flights what about other model drones that are far more in circulation? Could we double the drone flights in the same area over that time if we count the Autels , Syma’s , and the countless others ?
Still no reported conflicts. T o me this is a plus not a minus.
In their 'Assumptions and Limitations' section on page 4 [second bullet point] ...

The AeroScope device only detects DJI-manufactured platforms. According to Skylogic Research (2017), it is estimated that the DJI holds a market share of 72%. Parrot and Yuneec each hold an estimated 7% market share, with other manufacturers making up the final 14% of the market.

In other words, sounds like they are saying that they could have missed 28% of the Drone traffic by only monitoring DJI.

Reactions: frank candor
In their 'Assumptions and Limitations' section on page 4 [second bullet point] ...

The AeroScope device only detects DJI-manufactured platforms. According to Skylogic Research (2017), it is estimated that the DJI holds a market share of 72%. Parrot and Yuneec each hold an estimated 7% market share, with other manufacturers making up the final 14% of the market.

In other words, sounds like they are saying that they could have missed 28% of the Drone traffic by only monitoring DJI.
Hi, The AeroScope software that E-R used to capture the data was written by DJI & only recognizes DJI products.
Yes, it looks like anybody running that software can get "all the poop on your skinny" if your flying within the software's range.
Tony

....Wow said:
If you're extremely bored, I posted about this earlier here (although mine was, admittedly more incline to fist shake):

Enjoy!

Peter T

I read that report fully. WOW! Drone pilots ARE idiots! I cant assume that the Daytona beach DJI owners are dumber than the DJI owners anywhere else. So if this is fact, and I believe it is. Drones should be banned, because it seems the average person cant be trusted to not fly near major airports, Almost everyone that flew in those 13 days did something wrong it seems.The whole of Daytona Beach is within 5 miles of an international airport AND a couple others.
Awakening that read was! Thanks for posting it!

IMO, the confluence of Daytona and drone idiocy is not unexpected. I think that the study should be expanded to identify the drone violators who are also Bike Week casualties. They may no longer be able to defy common sense on bikes so they have turned to drones.:D

>>>>>
Thanks,
Tony

I agree with Mr. Kiburis' comments and further question E-R. I suspect that some, if not many, of the reported violations were the actions of repeat "offenders". This information is contained in the data and should have been reported.

Further, any proper scientific report should reflect the financial relationship between the participants. Certainly, E-R and DJI are participants herein and the nature of the financial relationship should have been disclosed.

A couple of other comments...

E-R seems determined to point out the safety hazards associated with sUAS operations. E-R has an history of fatal accidents, not all of which were unavoidable, IMO. There was no sUAS involvement.

There was a comment about sUAS operations having the potential to cause a fatal interaction with a "LifeFlight" helicopter.
IMO, air ambulance pilots have often succeeded in killing themselves and their passengers without the involvement of sUAS.

As for height limits in high traffic areas, it depends on the topography. If trees are 70 - 90ft tall, and planes are typically over 1000ft high even under the glide slope, I should be given enough room to stay over those trees. Most of the time I'm fine being below 120 or even 100ft. 50 - 75ft might be too low.

I agree with Mr. Kiburis' comments and further question E-R. I suspect that some, if not many, of the reported violations were the actions of repeat "offenders". This information is contained in the data and should have been reported.

Further, any proper scientific report should reflect the financial relationship between the participants. Certainly, E-R and DJI are participants herein and the nature of the financial relationship should have been disclosed.

A couple of other comments...

E-R seems determined to point out the safety hazards associated with sUAS operations. E-R has an history of fatal accidents, not all of which were unavoidable, IMO. There was no sUAS involvement.

There was a comment about sUAS operations having the potential to cause a fatal interaction with a "LifeFlight" helicopter.
IMO, air ambulance pilots have often succeeded in killing themselves and their passengers without the involvement of sUAS.
Thanks for your comments.
I agree that the E-R position is slanted to highlight the drone violations & only offer solutions that impose the airspace rules on the drone community.
If E-R's suggestions (based upon their insufficient data sampling) are enacted it will shut down drown flying in the Daytona area.
Semper Fi Sargent!
SP5/E5 Tony (Us Army 66-69)

welcome to the real world. as a avid 4X4 operator, dirt bike (both gasoline powered and human powered). into target shooting, and collecting of old odd, interesting guns. we have been fighting these anti for decades. they are well funded. very well placed. and work to pull on the money strings as well as the " it's for the children" bs.
they do not care what is right, or wrong. only that there way is set by law to be the only way. this will be a long hard fight. and every time we as hobbyist, or anyone else with a drone, model airplane, or even land wheeled rc trucks, cars, buggys, etc give even 1/4 of a inch. they will be back next week for another foot of your give, to there take. they are willing to take a little bit today, as they will be back for more. so just remember there moto. "we just want reasonable responsible regs".
sad part is what they really want is complete and total control of YOU.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser