DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Embry-Riddle Study Evaluates Increasing Risks of "Drones" to Aircraft

welcome to the real world. as a avid 4X4 operator, dirt bike (both gasoline powered and human powered). into target shooting, and collecting of old odd, interesting guns. we have been fighting these anti for decades. they are well funded. very well placed. and work to pull on the money strings as well as the " it's for the children" bs.
they do not care what is right, or wrong. only that there way is set by law to be the only way. this will be a long hard fight. and every time we as hobbyist, or anyone else with a drone, model airplane, or even land wheeled rc trucks, cars, buggys, etc give even 1/4 of a inch. they will be back next week for another foot of your give, to there take. they are willing to take a little bit today, as they will be back for more. so just remember there moto. "we just want reasonable responsible regs".
sad part is what they really want is complete and total control of YOU.
Of course. Obama came and personally took your guns, right?

As for height limits in high traffic areas, it depends on the topography. If trees are 70 - 90ft tall, and planes are typically over 1000ft high even under the glide slope, I should be given enough room to stay over those trees. Most of the time I'm fine being below 120 or even 100ft. 50 - 75ft might be too low.
Hi Dan,
I agree that Commercial & Private aircraft usually don't get down into the weeds, however as the FAA regs are written around airports the minimum height above the ground is 0 ft. My proposal would allow flying drones in residential areas next to air ports a greatly reduced height for the drown owner to practice on his own property at 50 -75 ft. instead of 400 ft. Private pilots fling into uncontrolled airports (no tower) fly a pattern to land.
Thanks,
Tony

what about something to try and put a good spin on drones??
another toy drive, highlighting drones?
blood drive by drone pilots?
something good for others with nothing more than done by drone owners. just good will and trying to put us in a better light in some eyes?
i live up in the country, but this is best in the city's where lots of owners live. or at least not have to drive hrs to get to.

Great summing up Tony - Thanks ... I fly in the UK, but I'm interested in this because it seems the CAA are following FAA guidance pretty closely in regard to sUAV operation on this side of the pond.

There are a few 'diamonds in the rough' here though I think ... 12 days is an extremely short sample period, so it would be unprecedented to use this report as a keystone in future legislation. But saying that, it showcases not only the few 'idiots' flying on runway approach paths and at crazy heights, but it does highlight a large population of users who are flying in a restricted way - which must be frustrating for them - and shows that there are a lot of folks out there who ['may'] know the rules and are trying to fly safely - even though they know that doing their hobby is bending those rules.
Also - it's a bit alarmist - in that I don't know of anybody who upon seeing a banner-towing light a/c coming at where there drone was, wouldn't head for the deck! I'd be a lot more worried if during the 12 days of the research there was a near miss or two - But playing devil's advocate - maybe a lot of this report is showing that the majority of Drone operators are aware of Civil Aviation needs and in general, operate in ways to maintain clearance? :eek:
It would also be useful to note how many of those 6,117 'sightings of potentially unsafe use' between 2014 and 2018 took place in that Daytona Beach area - as you could look at it another way and say "Despite the high use of Drones in this area, there are very few near misses and collisions with Civil Aviation ..."
This also highlights how the DJI Aeroscope could be used to 'police' the air in an area like this, and identify those idiots that are bringing us into disrepute. That might be the way to get public confidence back ...

Re the Gatwick Drone Incident.
I watch BBC news on the internet & would like to hear from a UK person, who flys drones, what you know about this issue.
Thanks,
Tony

PS there have been 2 private plane crashes during 2018 involving Embry-Riddle (E-R) trained personnel. Four deaths resulted. One was a E-R training flight & the other was a private flight , but not connected with the school. No flight involved drones.

Re the Gatwick Drone Incident.
I watch BBC news on the internet & would like to hear from a UK person, who flys drones, what you know about this issue.
Thanks,
Tony

PS there have been 2 private plane crashes during 2018 involving Embry-Riddle (E-R) trained personnel. Four deaths resulted. One was a E-R training flight & the other was a private flight , but not connected with the school. No flight involved drones.
Hi Tony - It's pretty messy here and I think I can speak for most in saying that we are all pretty angry at the damage that this is doing to recreational and commersial drone operators! There are two 'heavy' threads on-gong here at:
Gatwick Airport (UK) suspends flights due to Drone activity
and
BREAKING Flights at Gatwick Airport halted amid reports of drone flying in area

I wonder, did they bother to find out if any of the flights that didn't break the rules in that report contact the towers for notification / approval?

I have a coworker that has flown at Daytona beach. He contacted both the airport and school towers, and was asked not to fly over 200' at the beach, which he followed. Has some great footage of Daytona from those flights.

Reactions: Tony Kiburis
I wonder, did they bother to find out if any of the flights that didn't break the rules in that report contact the towers for notification / approval?

I have a coworker that has flown at Daytona beach. He contacted both the airport and school towers, and was asked not to fly over 200' at the beach, which he followed. Has some great footage of Daytona from those flights.
Good to know about contacting the airport towers & their approval for 200ft. limits. I wish all Dayton drone pilots would work with the towers. This might lead to 200ft. zones that drone pilots don't need tower approval, such as the large parking lots & residential areas.
Safe flying

welcome to the real world. as a avid 4X4 operator, dirt bike (both gasoline powered and human powered). into target shooting, and collecting of old odd, interesting guns. we have been fighting these anti for decades. they are well funded. very well placed. and work to pull on the money strings as well as the " it's for the children" bs.
they do not care what is right, or wrong. only that there way is set by law to be the only way. this will be a long hard fight. and every time we as hobbyist, or anyone else with a drone, model airplane, or even land wheeled rc trucks, cars, buggys, etc give even 1/4 of a inch. they will be back next week for another foot of your give, to there take. they are willing to take a little bit today, as they will be back for more. so just remember there moto. "we just want reasonable responsible regs".
sad part is what they really want is complete and total control of YOU.

I too ride Dirt Bikes Mountain Bikes and have done for decades. but in the UK not US
I have been treated like an outlaw many times

If you're not going to be a good NORMAL citizen and sit on your fat arse watching a bunch of overpaid kids chasing a ball around a manicured Lawn,
Or having a jolly good guffaw with your chums down the Golf club then you can jolly well bu99er off

Yep, the Anti's just don't like anyone doing anything that's not 100% in tune with their sad little worlds

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica