DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Emergency Services and Law Enforcement Video of Neighborhood Activity with M3 at Night using Tele lens From Just Above my House Roof Top.

You need a new sign for the neighborhood watch to include a drone pic on the sign.

So, had he not used digital zoom, yes, he would have got that video, with even better results then he has shown. But he’d need to do it right in post with knowledge and experience. It’s a misconception that pilots should use digital zoom for anything at all except to explore, the people who made the drone know this which is why they didn’t call the M3 a zoom camera drone, and called the 1/2 camera an explore camera and not a zoom camera.

They could have put optical zoom on this drone, but there is no good reason to do that for a camera that’s already shooting in 5k res. Optical zoom is only useful on a camera that’s shooting low res, because it’s footage can’t be cropped in post.
It's you who have some gross misconceptions:
Digitally zooming/cropping main camera output to match tele camera's field of view would result in not much more than postage stamp size image worth of information.

Just 2x digital zoom drops amount of pixels to one quarter and doubling that to 4x digital zoom leaves only 1/16th of original pixels.
And by the time you've matched the FOV of tele camera, you would be struggling to have half MP left!
(8x digital zoom would leave 1/64th of pixels)

DJI deliberately didn’t put optical zoom on this drone which is why I will never buy another Mavic, and will likely never buy another DJI product. I sold my I2 because it’s too darn big, too much hassle to transport and set up. Then they give us this drone with no optical zoom, done it deliberately, because they want us to buy an I2 lol. I bet $100 it took more engineering to put that second 1/2 inch camera in, and more expensive too mass produce, then it would have been to give that 4/3rds camera with 3x optical zoom. That’s how DJI operates.
DJI didn't put in zoom (genuine parfocal, or varifocal) lens, because that would have busted size and weight budget.

The moment you add variable focal length into design, lens complexity grows exponentially if you want anything approaching same optical quality.
That why even modest range standard zoom lenses in any camera system are far bigger and heavier than equal f-ratio prime lens inside that range.

Now if DJI had kept sensor size at 1" zoom lens would have been doable in Mavic 3.
But for significant zoom with 4/3 sensor you would be looking at Phantom level weight.
(and for 7x zoom just camera+gimbal would be at half kg level at not fixed f/2.8)

Here's something to educate yourself with:

It's you who have some gross misconceptions:
Digitally zooming/cropping main camera output to match tele camera's field of view would result in not much more than postage stamp size image worth of information.

Just 2x digital zoom drops amount of pixels to one quarter and doubling that to 4x digital zoom leaves only 1/16th of original pixels.
And by the time you've matched the FOV of tele camera, you would be struggling to have half MP left!
(8x digital zoom would leave 1/64th of pixels)

DJI didn't put in zoom (genuine parfocal, or varifocal) lens, because that would have busted size and weight budget.

The moment you add variable focal length into design, lens complexity grows exponentially if you want anything approaching same optical quality.
That why even modest range standard zoom lenses in any camera system are far bigger and heavier than equal f-ratio prime lens inside that range.

Now if DJI had kept sensor size at 1" zoom lens would have been doable in Mavic 3.
But for significant zoom with 4/3 sensor you would be looking at Phantom level weight.
(and for 7x zoom just camera+gimbal would be at half kg level at not fixed f/2.8)

Here's something to educate yourself with:
Fly safe.

Fly safe.
Only edge I push is freezing limit of fingers...

I even file flight plans courtesy of ADIZ.
FlightPlan 0901#.JPG

With snowy landscape back propably should make already one for tomorrow to avoid need to do it as first thing at morning. (flight plans have to be filed at least hour before the flight)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980