DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

End of the road for Minis in India

It's really frustrating to be taken thru the draconian laws here. I've been using a mini for about a year now and while I've had my share of ups and downs with the mini, there's been an updated version of dji fly that's been pushed. What that does, is essentially limit the height at 15m for the mini. Yup, the app itself doesn't let you go above that and cites the DGCA regulations as the bottleneck. The only way around, currently, is to downgrade the app but it's only about time before that also implements this limitation.
I had anyway ordered a mini2 wanting to experience the better transmission. But with the necessity to use the new fly app, I'm assuming mini 2 would also be limited to 15m height.

Could anyone using litchi throw light on this - would the 15m restriction be bypassed if using litchi? In which case, I'd rather cancel plans for the mini2 and stick around with mini using litchi.

PS : I'm aware of the DGCA regulations around 15m for the nano category drones - but my view here is that responsible flyers should get the workaround atleast till the time laws change.

If I would be in India I would be flying a homemade quad with Ardupilot or Mavic Pro with superpatcher 2.0

My wife was coming from Germany next week , and the drone just got delivered yesterday. I had to ask her to return it.

I am currently using the mini2 in India (Which I bought from Germany). The altitude restrictions are enforced in the DJI fly app and there is no way to bypass it. I did try to downgrade to 1.1.0 but that does not recognize mini2. I'm desperately hoping for some hack or workaround to overcome this altitude restriction. Otherwise I don't see a point in anyone trying to buy a mini/mini2 here in India.

I am currently using the mini2 in India (Which I bought from Germany). The altitude restrictions are enforced in the DJI fly app and there is no way to bypass it. I did try to downgrade to 1.1.0 but that does not recognize mini2. I'm desperately hoping for some hack or workaround to overcome this altitude restriction. Otherwise I don't see a point in anyone trying to buy a mini/mini2 here in India.
V1.1.10 won't recognise mini2. For mini2, you will have to be on a newer version. That said, @gb160 has a modded version of the fly app (iOS only) that you should try - it might help you bypass the height restriction. He's also been generous to offer a free trial to test this out. I don't have a mini2 now but was planning to buy one. Do let us know if the modder version bypasses the restriction.

V1.1.10 won't recognise mini2. For mini2, you will have to be on a newer version. That said, @gb160 has a modded version of the fly app (iOS only) that you should try - it might help you bypass the height restriction. He's also been generous to offer a free trial to test this out. I don't have a mini2 now but was planning to buy one. Do let us know if the modder version bypasses the restriction.
A disclaimer here. One member (vaidee) has tried it recently without sucess. But no harm trying it on one more device.

I am finally able to get my Mavic Mini above 15m using the Litchi App.
Had to do a bit of tinkering to make the camera work.
1. connect drone using the dji fly app
2. when connected open Litchi app
3. close dji fly app
I am using an iOS device.

3. close dji fly app
What about Mavic Mini 2 is there a solution for that ?

3. close dji fly app
I'm surprised to hear this as well. Ideally, litchi cannot help bypass restrictions of fly. While I can also go over 15m using litchi, that's because I'm on fly v 1.1.10. could you confirm what version of fly are you on.

I'm surprised to hear this as well. Ideally, litchi cannot help bypass restrictions of fly. While I can also go over 15m using litchi, that's because I'm on fly v 1.1.10. could you confirm what version of fly are you on.
I am using DJI Fly v 1.2.1 on my iPad Mini 5. Other than the small steps that need to be taken for the camera to work in Litchi (which I have mentioned above) i did not face any other issue. But its a bummer that Litchi is not free in the App Store.

I am using DJI Fly v 1.2.1 on my iPad Mini 5. Other than the small steps that need to be taken for the camera to work in Litchi (which I have mentioned above) i did not face any other issue. But its a bummer that Litchi is not free in the App Store.
Would it be possible for you to share a screengrab while doing this? Afaik, litchi cannot bypass the restrictions set by dji fly.

Well it can if the limitation is in the Fly app rather than the firmware. Nobody has indicated how they see the limitation but it sounds like it simply has the Max Altitude slider only go up to 15m. IOW it's the UI with the limit, not any intelligence.

So all Litchi has to do is provide it's own interface for the user to set the max Altitude limit and it sends the new setting to the AC.

Reactions: PhilipSangtea
Well it can if the limitation is in the Fly app rather than the firmware. Nobody has indicated how they see the limitation but it sounds like it simply has the Max Altitude slider only go up to 15m. IOW it's the UI with the limit, not any intelligence.

So all Litchi has to do is provide it's own interface for the user to set the max Altitude limit and it sends the new setting to the AC.
Sounds like I can go ahead getting myself a mini2!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aeronkat