DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

End of the road for Minis in India

I think there's a clear way out of this, if DJI wants.

If someone has the fly more combo and can add the prop guards(or for some maybe the ND filters), the mavic mini becomes ~300g which gets it to the Micro category as per the new regulations. Now within the software activate the prop guards in settings, the app can still allow the max height to 200ft which is a decent height for aerial photography or cinematography. And DJI can still stay compliant with the local regulations.

I know this limits the flight time, but that's still a better bargain compared to rendering it useless for all practical purposes.

Is there a way to submit a formal suggestion to DJI for this?

Trying to kick life into this old thread, because it needs it!

During 1.st half of 2021 it became clear to Indian authorities that the Nov. 2020 Drone rules were much too bureaucratic, paranoid and downright destructive for prof. as well as hobby uses of drones. In June, a much better and sensible set of rules were floated for comments, and in August this year (2021) the Nov. 2020 rules were retired and the new, more sensible rules succeeded them. Amongst other changes, the Nano drone 15 meter max height rule was dropped.

So, one would think that DJI quickly removed the SW-limitation of 15 meter max height with a new DJI fly / firmware update - ???

NOT SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In spite of many nudges and cries from the user community, DJI has so far - 3 months after the new and sensible rules in India came into effect - ignored the issue completely!!! They have found developer time to correct minor bugs regarding control of the Mini 2 LED light colors etc., but no time to fix a totally crippling limitation, imposed by authorities and now officially removed from the drone rules - ?!?!

This is outrageous, and weird that DJI does not care about the market for their cheapest drone in the second most populous country in the World! - Does anybody understand their rationale ???

Trying to kick life into this old thread, because it needs it!

During 1.st half of 2021 it became clear to Indian authorities that the Nov. 2020 Drone rules were much too bureaucratic, paranoid and downright destructive for prof. as well as hobby uses of drones. In June, a much better and sensible set of rules were floated for comments, and in August this year (2021) the Nov. 2020 rules were retired and the new, more sensible rules succeeded them. Amongst other changes, the Nano drone 15 meter max height rule was dropped.

So, one would think that DJI quickly removed the SW-limitation of 15 meter max height with a new DJI fly / firmware update - ???

NOT SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In spite of many nudges and cries from the user community, DJI has so far - 3 months after the new and sensible rules in India came into effect - ignored the issue completely!!! They have found developer time to correct minor bugs regarding control of the Mini 2 LED light colors etc., but no time to fix a totally crippling limitation, imposed by authorities and now officially removed from the drone rules - ?!?!

This is outrageous, and weird that DJI does not care about the market for their cheapest drone in the second most populous country in the World! - Does anybody understand their rationale ???

That IS a really bad situation !

Maybe go over to the Mini section at the DJI forums and post this there.
DJI do read this and hopefully you might get some more fellow countrymen/women speaking up.
There may even be a thread there already, they a search there . . .

Try the mini forum too, they are in the same situation.

I did a quick search, there is a thread on MavicPilots about this . . .

The Mavic Mini 2 is classified as a Nano drone . The law still states that you are limited to 15 meters height.
I have DJI Air 2S and it doesn't have this limit. But I registered myself and the drone with DGCA

The Mavic Mini 2 is classified as a Nano drone . The law still states that you are limited to 15 meters height.
I have DJI Air 2S and it doesn't have this limit. But I registered myself and the drone with DGCA
After the new rules went into effect on 25 August 2021 and the previous rules were discarded, there is not any 15 meter max altitude limit for Nano drones. The new rules can be found here: https://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/2021/229221.pdf (In Hindi from page 1, followed by in English from page 24).

If you have proof that this is not the case, kindly document this.

After the new rules went into effect on 25 August 2021 and the previous rules were discarded, there is not any 15 meter max altitude limit for Nano drones. The new rules can be found here: https://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/2021/229221.pdf (In Hindi from page 1, followed by in English from page 24).

If you have proof that this is not the case, kindly document this.
It states about zones .
But trust me they haven’t lifted the limit for nano .
Can you point out in the document about the nano drone ?

It states about zones .
But trust me they haven’t lifted the limit for nano .
Can you point out in the document about the nano drone ?
The rules, I have linked to, are the full rule set regarding drone usage in India from 25 August 2021, and fully supersedes earlier rules. They are published by the Central Government and the rules themselves state that earlier rules are no longer valid (read English preamble, p. 24 + 25).

When you go through the rules, you find no reference to any 15 meter limit for nano drones. Maybe you bought a more expensive drone, needing registration, certification and insurance (all of which the nano category does not), just to get around a rule that doesnt exist any longer? I understand if this is a bitter pill to swallow.

If you still claim that there is a Nano max height restriction, you have to provide documentation. I am sorry, but saying: "trust me" is not sufficient.

That IS a really bad situation !

Maybe go over to the Mini section at the DJI forums and post this there.
DJI do read this and hopefully you might get some more fellow countrymen/women speaking up.
There may even be a thread there already, they a search there . . .

Try the mini forum too, they are in the same situation.

I did a quick search, there is a thread on MavicPilots about this . . .

ç
Thanks for your sympathy, and, yes, I am trying to get some DJI eyeballs to look at this absurd situation. But i restrain myself from posting in non-country specific forums, because for most people, this predicament, we DJI Mini pilots in India face, is irrelevant, and will be perceived as spam. I have had my own frustrations over country specific postings of no interest for me, in the wrong forums).

Thanks for finding the dji forum thread, I have seen and am following it.

we DJI Mini pilots in India face, is irrelevant, and will be perceived as spam. I have had my own frustrations over country specific postings of no interest for me, in the wrong forums).

Not at all ! Many here find it interesting to know what other countries rules and (sometimes ridiculous) legislation is for drones.
This is a Worldwide forum and India is a big part of it.
Always feel free to post what Indian drone life is about.
Yes, sometimes posts happen in the wrong place, if you report a mis-category, a mod can move it if they see the need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs