DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Enjoy the freedom of the Mavic Mini

Rex Peters

Reactions
I have one and love it but got caught up in the hype of the MA2 and almost bought it. Thankfully I checked into the city of Calgary bylaws and found out that you cannot fly any drones over 250 g without a special permit every time you want to fly. So love your mini and enjoy flying responsibly and legally almost anywhere anywhere.?

Truthfully, I'm seriously considering selling my brand new Mini and buying an Air 2. The Air 2 just offers so many more features like tracking, point of interest, obstacle avoidance, 4k video and 48 megapixel camera and better battery life. DJI also just added zoom up to 4X, which is a really nice feature, and a lot of people say they don't expect many more such upgrades for the Mini. Two big drawbacks of the Mini are the wifi connectivity and the fact that it's just a fragile craft. It's amazing for what it is, but I don't really care about 249 grams, which poses many limitations, as I've registered mine anyway.

Truthfully, I'm seriously considering selling my brand new Mini and buying an Air 2. The Air 2 just offers so many more features like tracking, point of interest, obstacle avoidance, 4k video and 48 megapixel camera and better battery life. DJI also just added zoom up to 4X, which is a really nice feature, and a lot of people say they don't expect many more such upgrades for the Mini. Two big drawbacks of the Mini are the wifi connectivity and the fact that it's just a fragile craft. It's amazing for what it is, but I don't really care about 249 grams, which poses many limitations, as I've registered mine anyway.
You are right about the advantages of the MA2 but if you needed to travel an hour away just to fly it legally like I would, would you? And would that get old fairly quickly. If I could fly it around here, Dam, I would be buying it right now. I know people fly around here illegally but I’m not about to chance fate and have my drone confiscated or be fined.
Have fun and stay safe no matter what you fly.
Cheers

I have one and love it but got caught up in the hype of the MA2 and almost bought it. Thankfully I checked into the city of Calgary bylaws and found out that you cannot fly any drones over 250 g without a special permit every time you want to fly. So love your mini and enjoy flying responsibly and legally almost anywhere anywhere.?
as far as i know as long you are licensed pilot and your drone is registered we dont need special permit as long you still follow 900.06. I have attached some files. Thanks

Attachments

• 73A24B32-F060-4EBC-86AC-DA1C73ABE552.png
    73A24B32-F060-4EBC-86AC-DA1C73ABE552.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
as far as i know as long you are licensed pilot and your drone is registered we dont need special permit as long you still follow 900.06. I have attached some files. Thanks
You always need to look at the bylaws for the jurisdiction that you are flying in. I have read the bylaws for Calgary parks and pathways and it very clearly stateS that a drone over 250g needs a park permit. This is over and beyond the transport Canada regulations. Just type in city of Calgary rules for drones. If you are flying a Mavic Mini, there is a lot more latitude. Btw. I have my basic drone licence. But I’m a researcher and I know for a fact that flying a drone like a Mavic Air 2 in Calgary even if you have a license and it’s registered, you can not fly without a park permit.
Hey! I hate this also but I don’t need a fine and my wife telling me “ I told you so”.... just kidding, my wife is cool.

Reactions: lowellton
You always need to look at the bylaws for the jurisdiction that you are flying in. I have read the bylaws for Calgary parks and pathways and it very clearly stateS that a drone over 250g needs a park permit. This is over and beyond the transport Canada regulations. Just type in city of Calgary rules for drones. If you are flying a Mavic Mini, there is a lot more latitude. Btw. I have my basic drone licence. But I’m a researcher and I know for a fact that flying a drone like a Mavic Air 2 in Calgary even if you have a license and it’s registered, you can not fly without a park permit.
Hey! I hate this also but I don’t need a fine and my wife telling me “ I told you so”.... just kidding, my wife is cool.
Thats why this forum is so very helpful. Thanks for the additional info. ?⚽️?

So you're saying that you need a special permit to fly in a municipal park. If you're not flying from a park (for instance your own backyard) do you still need a permit?

So you're saying that you need a special permit to fly in a municipal park. If you're not flying from a park (for instance your own backyard) do you still need a permit?
i think we dont need a permit if we fly on our own backward. I think ?

for some other countries , the 250gr mark makes all the difference in the world, regardless where you take off from

If you are flying on private property, you have no issues as long as you meet the Transport Canada requirements. If you fly in any Calgary park and your drone is over 250g, you require a special permit. It’s all there in black and white when you go through the city of Calgary website.
Each municipality will have their own bylaws andI am strictly addressing Calgary bylaws. I wish the skies were open for all drones and it’s a drag if you got anything larger than a mini before knowing the restrictions.
Sorry if this affects you negatively.

So please confirm that I could fly my Magic Mini in Calgary regardless of what the map says (red zones)? Are the red zones strictly for drones weighing more than 250g?

Bosco Bear,
To be absolutely sure, the best thing to do is call your city Bylaw office and ask them. Just remember, there may be federal and jurisdictional rules that need to be read and understood.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ