DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Enormous CTRs! Just, Why?

Yaros

Reactions
Hey, I live in Mallorca, Spain. There are a couple of small airports that don't have unregulated airspace, and there is one big airport in Palma de Mallorca, the capital of Mallorca, but the Controlled Airspace of that airport is just huge, even larger than Miami airport's controlled airspace for some reason. I can't fly even 20 km (12.4 miles) away from the airport!

Spain is known to have some large CTRs, just look at Barcelona, Valencia or Madrid on the Spanish Airspace Map.
But on an island it is even more annoying, because no-fly zones cover more than 40% of the land. I'm lucky that I live on the other side of Mallorca, but Palma is a nice place and I would like to fly there, but it's near impossible as AESA doesn't answer emails.

If you can't get answers from the authorities via email, write a letter or call them via phone etc..
Besides if you, as a Spanish citizen, can not get answers from your authorities how could/would foreigners know the reasoning of Spanish authorities?
I'd bet that the best most people here could do is speculate.

Hey, I live in Mallorca, Spain. There are a couple of small airports that don't have unregulated airspace, and there is one big airport in Palma de Mallorca, the capital of Mallorca, but the Controlled Airspace of that airport is just huge, even larger than Miami airport's controlled airspace for some reason. I can't fly even 20 km (12.4 miles) away from the airport!

Spain is known to have some large CTRs, just look at Barcelona, Valencia or Madrid on the Spanish Airspace Map.
But on an island it is even more annoying, because no-fly zones cover more than 40% of the land. I'm lucky that I live on the other side of Mallorca, but Palma is a nice place and I would like to fly there, but it's near impossible as AESA doesn't answer emails.
Query: Do you ever post anything other than complaints about regulations and the authorities?

Query: Do you ever post anything other than complaints about regulations and the authorities?
Yes, I do...
Just because you see all my threads about this doesn't mean it's the only thing I post.

I am visiting Valencia region, and I agree that CTR zones in ENAIRE Drone apps have literally blocked Valencia and surrounding regions. I emailed them in polite, simple English to ask, and I had an email back (in Spanish) to say my enquires has been passed on to another department. Well over 1 week now, time to leave soon...no email or replies..

Well over 1 week now, time to leave soon...no email or replies..
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have high hopes for it.
They are likely not going to reply, or they will in 3 months. This is something I learned from living in Spain for 12 years now, they are very slow on government level stuff.

But if they do, please reply here how it went, would love to know!

Reactions: winmeister6
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have high hopes for it.
They are likely not going to reply, or they will in 3 months. This is something I learned from living in Spain for 12 years now, they are very slow on government level stuff.

But if they do, please reply here how it went, would love to know!
I wanted to ask your personal appreciation on flying drones on the island. I am going there in October and like you mentioned, there seems to be giant nofly/control zones around the airport, however since I am sub 250 grams I need to check to what extent some of those zones do not apply to me. In general, would you say that the police is agressively enforcing drone rules, as in if you fly in peace will they still find you/fine you etc. I heard some horror stories about the Spanish police using AeroScope and I would like to know if they will let me in peace, provided I fly outside of problematic areas with lots of traffic.

I wanted to ask your personal appreciation on flying drones on the island
As long as you don't fly near Palma you're fine.
I have flown more than 3000 km around the island with my drones, it's fine.

If you want some cool footage, go to Sa Calobra, Formentor, and such locations.
Aeroscope is only used when some big event is set up in Palma primarily.

Reactions: Red_Pyro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada