DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why EU regulations are so strict?

Yaros

Reactions
I live in Mallorca, Spain, and have my A1/A3 certificate.
I'm 15 years old, but I still fly drones, the minimum age here is 16... oh well, I'm 16 soon anyway.
But why are the regulations here so strict compared to US' FAA?
I have seen videos of people registering on LAANC and flying in big cities with no problem, with authorization.
In Spain, that's nearly impossible, AESA will not give you any permission if you're not a commercial pilot.
I had no problems with flying in Mallorca, authorities aren't so interested in drones (for now), but for example, in Madrid or Barcelona, it is a real problem.
And also the Spanish government is breaking the EASA rules, because here the A1 category is up to 900 grams, not 500g like in all other countries, by EASA, the country can't change the Open Category Classification, including the weight limit. So clearly Spain doesn't know what they are doing.
And don't even let me get started about Aeroscope... they are sneaky tracking drones in Madrid and Barcelona (probably in other big cities too) and then put you a 250K euro fine for flying in their HUGE 12km radius Controlled Airspace...
Oh, and what can I even say about the C-Marking: plain stupidity, doesn't lead to anything.

Comparing the EU drone laws to US, there is a big difference, here you even need to register the mini 2, because it has camera (genius, I know... nah, just plain annoying)!
What do you think about this? Normal or not?

Haven't you, in other threads, already 'worked' your way through most of the points you raise in this thread e.g.
36-year-old man from Barcelona REPORTED for flying a drone through the Catalan capital (a 220k and NOT 250K POSSIBLE fine in that thread) and several people pointed out to you that it was a POSSIBLE fine.

i-cant-fly-legally-over-a-city-in-spain-am-i-misunderstanding-something.118718 where your opening line, dated 19th November 2021, was "Hello, I have flown my drone for almost a year now on the island called Mallorca," which means you were 14 when you started flying. In that thread Slup spent an appreciable amount of time explaining "why" to you, with at least two good examples.
In that thread you go on to say
"Okay fine. Rant over!
I am constantly trying to not break any drone laws (at least as much as possible)."

The latter quote seems at odds with the line
"I'm 15 years old, but I still fly drones, the minimum age here is 16... oh well, I'm 16 soon anyway."
of this thread.

Indeed two of those threads show up in the "similar threads" section below this thread.
Is there much point in ploughing through them again?
Strangely I thought I saw your age as 21 or 21+ earlier in your forum life.

Last edited:
You watch too much YouTube!

While you can get clearance to fly in Class B, C, D, and surface E airspace around many airports in the USA that has little to do with flying in cities. The major portion of the videos you see flying in cities are very much against the rules.

The same AeroScope is being used in the USA and not in an open fashion. That was brought to light in a video posted here not long ago by @pilotinstitute.

The FAA has typically not published the cases it is investigating nor the fines it levies against those found guilty of violating the regulations. The DSPA is trying to make those more open to the public to show that breaking the rules can be costly.

Whether at 15 or 21 years of age, I don’t think you have enough life experience to make you an authority on drone safety.

Reactions: slup
DoomMeister was I correct in that his? age was initially given as 21?
I have no idea. I just know he is always stirring the pot over regulations that are there for good reason, but interfere with his ideas of what is safe drone operation.

These ideas are why I have such an issue with YouTube and other social media platforms that end up promoting illegal drone flights by reason of they are not the drone police. So we have a bunch of hotdogs trying to out hotdog each other to gain hits on their posts. Who is the winner of this in the end? The social media sites that make money from the advertising on the hits received on these posts. If the airspace regulatory bodies in every country went after the social media sites that promote this as well as the pilots we would see a lot less if this type of machismo and blatant disregard for the rules.

These ideas are why I have such an issue with YouTube and other social media platforms...
Better name for those medias is social mania media.

Reactions: Yaros
`
DoomMeister was I correct in that his? age was initially given as 21?
I thought that it would not let me register if I would put my real year of birth like on some other forums. That's why I put 2000 as the year of birth when registering.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett