DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Entered the US but no one at security customs immigration or passport control knew anything about drone registration

Drinu

Reactions
Just landed in Detroit on transit to Florida and informed security and customs that I may need to register my recreational drone as per faa regulations but they didn't know anything.

Any ideas if I actually need to register my mavic to fly or not?

I can't say 100% for sure but I did find this from a quick web search:

FAA Non-US Citizen and Non-US Resident Registration
All pilots, including those visiting from outside the United States, are required by the FAA to register if they plan to fly most unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing 250 grams or more outdoors. FAA registration can only be completed online using a United States based computer. Therefore, it is recommended these non-US citizen or non-US residents register once he or she arrives in the U.S. at a hotel, guest house, or flying field. For our AMA affiliate members, we can provide a computer to allow registration in the AMA HQ lobby.
Registration, including for non-US citizen or non-US resident pilots, takes approximately 15 minutes. All pilots will receive their FAA/UAS number immediately after registering. This number will be provided on the confirmation screen, sent via email, and accessible in the FAA website user profile. The FAA registered number must then be placed in or on all aircraft that is being flown in the U.S. This number can be placed inside aircraft/battery hatch, if area doesn’t require a tool to open.
Successful registrants will also receive a matching certificate of registration, which pilots must be able to present in either electronic or printed form. While this certificate is similar to the US resident or citizen certificate, it will function solely as a “recognition of ownership” document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US. This certificate will be available for print and will be sent to the pilot’s email immediately after completing FAA registration.
To accomplish registration a pilot will need an email address, credit/debit/or major credit card gift card, and a mailing address (the FAA website will accept foreign addresses and foreign nationalities). Proceed to http://registermyuas.faa.gov to complete the registration process.
Once registration is completed, aircraft are properly labeled, and the certificate is accessible, non-US citizen and non-US resident pilots will be compliant with FAA regulations and permitted to fly safely and responsibly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Just landed in Detroit on transit to Florida and informed security and customs that I may need to register my recreational drone as per faa regulations but they didn't know anything.

Any ideas if I actually need to register my mavic to fly or not?

And the only "Correct" answer (From a legal standpoint) is one that comes directly from the FAA. Just to be safe call the FSDO in Florida that covers the area you plan to fly. Here's a link to get the number to call:

Yes - you have to register, but not at Customs and Immigration - you register with the FAA before you fly.
OH I see so I need to provide where I will be staying on holiday as residence amd do it online?

Fabulous response, thanks all it was not clear (to me at least) if registration needed to be done online or in a different way.

Now need to figure out the last part!

'Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test'

I registered mine online - easy and quick - and no requested/required information about a knowledge test. From what I have been able to read the FAA so far has not developed that basic knowledge test. Hopefully members on here with vast more knowledge can verify that.

Reactions: Drinu
The exam for hobbyists hasn't been developed yet.

There's a mistake on the posted FAA text. The registration number now must be on the outside of the UAS. The reason being that first responders were concerned about UAS being booby trapped.

The exam for hobbyists hasn't been developed yet.

There's a mistake on the posted FAA text. The registration number now must be on the outside of the UAS. The reason being that first responders were concerned about UAS being booby trapped.

Good catch. I edited it to emphasize the current requirement.

I think the only restriction is that you need to do it on the FAA's website using the links in the page posted above from a US based IP address, not at customs. Why they have this IP restriction I have no idea, but it is what it is. You then need to display the number on a label on the side of the aircraft. That's a little annoying as you can't easily use a pre-printed label unless you pack a Dymo printer or similar, and who wants to do that? That means taking a blank label, writing on it with a Sharpie or similar, then sticking that to the aircraft. Alternatively, you can use a VPN with a US exit node to get past the FAA's IP based filters, register your aircraft a few days before you fly, then pre-print your labels and put them on your aircraft before you travel for a more robust and professional looking label.

Just remember to use a label that'll come off cleanly, or at least leaves a residue that is easily removed with a mild solvent that won't damage the plastic of the drone. A few drops of diluted citric acid (e.g. bottled lemon juice) is usually good for label residue on plastic (which is basically what you are being sold at 10x the price for those "label remover" solutions).

Fabulous response, thanks all it was not clear (to me at least) if registration needed to be done online or in a different way.

Now need to figure out the last part!

'Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test'

You only need to register the drone at this stage, there is no test available at this time.

Thought of checking these
Interesting, #4 Cherokee Point is near me. I fly across the lake from that.
I never knew that list existed, thanks for the info.
Other interesting areas could be the beaches towards Cocoa and Melbourne, just check the airspace around Patrick AFB.

Reactions: Drinu
Interesting, #4 Cherokee Point is near me. I fly across the lake from that.
I never knew that list existed, thanks for the info.
Other interesting areas could be the beaches towards Cocoa and Melbourne, just check the airspace around Patrick AFB.

Only had the mavic from second hand for a couple of months so running it in before flying to much over water... Not an easy task in Florida!

That's true! Lots of water here but I avoid flying over it, just around it.

It’s a relatively painless process. Easy enough to accomplish. Post # 3 will get you on your way quickly! Welcome to the USA and happy flying! Enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU