DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Entering Mexico with Mavic 2

Mavic-Fuli

Reactions
I am heading to the airport in a few hours and I've been back and forth about taking my drone with me.

Was wondering if anyone has experience with entering Mexico with a drone? Someone told me the drone needs to be registered prior?

Does anyone know anything about this?

I am heading to the airport in a few hours and I've been back and forth about taking my drone with me.

Was wondering if anyone has experience with entering Mexico with a drone? Someone told me the drone needs to be registered prior?

Does anyone know anything about this?
When you travel don't make a big deal about the drone, or draw any attention to the drone, just put it in your carry on luggage. Make sure you cover the battery terminals with tape. I have traveled extensively with my M2 Pro domestically. Did you check to see if there are any restrictions for the drone in Mexico?

While it seems that many ignore it, a noncitizen of Mexico can’t currently register a drone, which is required to fly.. Several posts on that and experiences, including impound of the drone, are here on the site. Try searching.

I've never had any issues traveling to Mexico by either private or commercial aviation with my drone in my carry on. With general aviation flights they generally go thru your bag on entering and departing in the terminal of a large airport and also you are met by the Federales at most airports big or small. They generally take a peek but no big deal. ...all that being said...in Mexico you can never take anything for granted. Mulege B.C. Mex.DJI_0213 (2).JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0222.JPG
    DJI_0222.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Capt KO
I was at the Hotel Serinidad a few months ago on family vacation. Here's a 360 pano i took over the pool: New photo by Pixel Pro

Nice shot, even with the different sky exposures.
Strange no people, and it doesn't look too early in the morning (checked orientation on Google maps ? )

Nice shot, even with the different sky exposures.
Strange no people, and it doesn't look too early in the morning (checked orientation on Google maps ? )
We went during the off-season, right before or after spring break, so often, many of the places we went, we'd have the entire place to ourselves!

I concur with the other post that suggested you just dont make a big deal about it. We always travel with just carry-on- I had my Anafi Parrot in my camera bag and the batteries were stored in LiPo bags, in my larger carry-on. It was never questioned. It had already been registered in the U.S. of course.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I concur with the other post that suggested you just dont make a big deal about it.

True, I have seen people at airport security asking "Is my [such and such] ok on the flight ?"
Drawing attention to themselves.
Safe to say in some countries, you might as well be asking "Would any of you security people want $50 by chance ?"

Keep it legal, know what's legal, don't go making a fuss.

I was at the Hotel Serinidad a few months ago on family vacation. Here's a 360 pano i took over the pool: New photo by Pixel Pro
It's a nice place...lots of changes since the first time I was there in the early 60's. For one thing, Then there was a federal prison just above town and they let the prisoners out during the day to work. There were no roads. It's not nearly as much fun to fly to Baja these days as there are only a few places to buy aviation fuel and many small airports have been closed at the insistence of the US gov. we've made several flights down lately in the trusty Cessna 172. The Lyc. O320 runs just fine on auto fuel but like the drone..you never are really sure that someone won't object. IMG_0402.JPG
Nice picture by the way...thanks for posting it. You always meet the nicest people in Baja:)

It's a nice place...lots of changes since the first time I was there in the early 60's. For one thing, Then there was a federal prison just above town and they let the prisoners out during the day to work. There were no roads. It's not nearly as much fun to fly to Baja these days as there are only a few places to buy aviation fuel and many small airports have been closed at the insistence of the US gov. we've made several flights down lately in the trusty Cessna 172. The Lyc. O320 runs just fine on auto fuel but like the drone..you never are really sure that someone won't object. View attachment 85906
Nice picture by the way...thanks for posting it. You always meet the nicest people in Baja:)
Do I recall correctly that you can get an STC for the engine to run auto gas but it's just a set of placards and no actual mechanical modification? That always seemed pretty funny to me.

It's a nice place...lots of changes since the first time I was there in the early 60's. For one thing, Then there was a federal prison just above town and they let the prisoners out during the day to work. There were no roads. It's not nearly as much fun to fly to Baja these days as there are only a few places to buy aviation fuel and many small airports have been closed at the insistence of the US gov. we've made several flights down lately in the trusty Cessna 172. The Lyc. O320 runs just fine on auto fuel but like the drone..you never are really sure that someone won't object. View attachment 85906

True, we met several "ex pats" that lived nearby and practically had us ready to uproot! Also the fact that my wife's great-great grandfather was the General of the Mexican army that stopped the U.S. from taking over that part of Baja Sud. There's even a gold painted bust of him near the arch entering the town. It was an interesting trip, will be returning without a doubt.

True, we met several "ex pats" that lived nearby and practically had us ready to uproot! Also the fact that my wife's great-great grandfather was the General of the Mexican army that stopped the U.S. from taking over that part of Baja Sud. There's even a gold painted bust of him near the arch entering the town. It was an interesting trip, will be returning without a doubt.
Well you're celebrity's..That is really interesting. Yeah..it's a great place...I hope to get down again too...

Do I recall correctly that you can get an STC for the engine to run auto gas but it's just a set of placards and no actual mechanical modification? That always seemed pretty funny to me.
Yes..there is a STC...I think it concerns fuel lines, O-rings..I'm pretty sure most of the lower HP engines qualify. I've thought about using auto fuel in the U.S. but Ethanol is not a good idea..Alcohol has an affinity for water and that scares me especially when there is good AV gas available. The PEMIX stations in Mexico have a grade they call magnum and it's supposed to be 91 octane. I've tried to always save our 100 low lead for Take-off and Landing and use the other in cruise, but really I don't think it makes much difference...It's always run pretty smooth. There are just no fuel stops in Baja..they used to have a big tank on the top of the hill at the end of the runway at Mulege but thats been gone for a long time. On that last flight we hopped over to Guaymas on the mainland for fuel...80 miles across the Sea of Cortez..Single engine planes go into automatic rough when you do that. ;)
I apologize for all the bla bla bla on a drone forum.. I get wound up..

Reactions: MROJAS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman