DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Epic, Gnarly, yet Beautiful failed Winter Mountain climb in Colorado, Atlantic Peak!

What a great use of a drone to provide you footage of where your going and the climbing land scape , not to mention the incredible views. On the first WOW in the video i would have been turning back. Going up to the Storm with you felt like i was walking towards my death , to get stuck in the snow . ,. the Entire Video was captivating.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain/Snow

Wow..... Is right.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
What a great use of a drone to provide you footage of where your going and the climbing land scape , not to mention the incredible views. On the first WOW in the video i would have been turning back. Going up to the Storm with you felt like i was walking towards my death , to get stuck in the snow . ,. the Entire Video was captivating.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain/Snow
When I got the walking towards my death feeling, I knew it was time to turn around, for sure. . .
I'm glad you guys could share the adventure!

Frostbite is no joke. Got some on my ears and on my head while snow skiing in Japan in mid 90's. Not bad enough for amputation or such - but still have skin issues to this day in those places.

No video is worth that.

The wind chill factor just thrashed me starting at about 12,500' and soon after the wind changed and left me no where to find shelter. That when I had bail or risk frost bite. I bailed, lol!
Hi Karl, wow you did it again! ?I was fascinated as alway watching your video! Yor are a real otutdoorsman! What a performance to climb up in winter. It must be ten times harder as in summer! Bravo for the video and the challenge you did, outstanding! ????
cheers Paul

First of all, let me say that I found your video enthralling. I watched, fascinated by the views and your efforts to reach your goal. Your commonsense kicked in at the end and I am glad you returned safely.
I feared for your life at the 5min to 7min mark most of all and at other times too. I am not an experienced climber but I am sure that I would not have ventured out on such a climb alone. One mis-tep could have seen you with a twisted/broken ankle and the consequences could have been dire. Either side of that ridge in that weather and you would have had no hope of survival. As I said, I am glad you returned safely but...............

Very enjoyable. Stirred a lot of emotions in me. I did a lot of hiking in high mountains in the 90s. Lots of backpacking in places like the High Sierras and continually climbing to the tops of all the highest mountains I could find around my area (the Southwestern US) just for kicks. Finding a climbable (without climbing gear) route to the top of a peak you are unfamiliar with is always a thrill to me. I also am familiar with having to make the choice to abandon a goal when the option to go forward becomes too hazardous. I always did it for the fun and never saw the point in risking my life unnecessarily just to say I reached a summit. Of course some of the risk I was willing to take at times would have been considered foolish by others, but thats part of the thrill. Still to this day, now in my 50s, I do most of my hiking and camping solo and often people tell me that is foolish enough. But there is nothing I enjoy more than being out there alone, and I no longer take the risks I was willing to in my 20s and 30s. Still get a great thrill every time I reach a summit though!

Thanks for the video. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is treacherous and I do take that into account, I alway carry a satellite transmitter/receiver, the Garmin "in-reach mini," so unless I'm in a cave I can signal for help with the push of a button from anywhere on the planet. I also had a big fat hooded down jacket in my pack along with a high quality bivey sack. I should have put the big puffy on early and just moved more slowly to avoid roasting myself. I've been summer and winter mountaineering for 35 years, and advanced rock climbing, including up big mountains for over 20. I know my limits and respect them as best as I can, $hit happens and I could die tomorrow crossing the street, of cancer or off the side of that ridge. Makes life so rich and exciting for to have grand adventures and motivates me to stay fit, ToTheSummit understands exactly. When I feel fear or out of control I back off as I did.
That said, I'd WAY rather be on dry rock and am planning a trip to Red Rocks Las Vegas to scramble up some thrilling mountains there. The mountains are very photogenic but also in a wilderness area. I think I can get some cool drone shots just outside the wilderness area as I understand the "Red Rocks Conservation area" bordering the wilderness allows drones. Anyone haven knowledge on that to share, maybe ToTheSummit knows. . . brother? I know this route looked scary but honestly it is tiny compared to what I do in the summer, please come visit my channel if you're interested and you'll understand.

Reactions: Yogi053
Redrock Canyon drone regulations are tricky to find info on. I think its mainly because they don't want to encourage drone usage. But the simple answer is that it IS legal to fly them in Redrock Canyon Conservation Area. They are prohibited when you cross into the wilderness areas to the North and West but most of what you will want to take footage of, including the dramatic sandstone/limestone mountains you will be climbing, fall into legal flight zones. Personally though I would take care to avoid other visitors when flying. Most people, even those who own drones, have not dug deep enough to know the rules about it and you will most likely end up in a confrontation with someone who think you are breaking a rule when they see you flying there.

Reactions: Yogi053
Redrock Canyon drone regulations are tricky to find info on. I think its mainly because they don't want to encourage drone usage. But the simple answer is that it IS legal to fly them in Redrock Canyon Conservation Area. They are prohibited when you cross into the wilderness areas to the North and West but most of what you will want to take footage of, including the dramatic sandstone/limestone mountains you will be climbing, fall into legal flight zones. Personally though I would take care to avoid other visitors when flying. Most people, even those who own drones, have not dug deep enough to know the rules about it and you will most likely end up in a confrontation with someone who think you are breaking a rule when they see you flying there.
Thank-you so much, those are the same findings I had when doing my research. I totally roll the way you described as well, all the time, I stay on the down low and am generally flying at full speed in normal mode to avoid being a nuisance in any one place. I'm up and out of there if anyone is around. . . .show the scale with that move anyway. If I really want to fly where there are others I ask them if it would be OK with them and offer my footage to them of THEM, they like that and it becomes a win win. Most people like me and see me as a source of info and safety in mountain settings. I've only had one person ever object and I left. . . . I've seen a drone once climbing big mountains and my reaction surprised ME, I wanted to be seen, I do think being followed closely would get annoying fast though.

I'm going for the south side of Wilson, white point, South side of Bridge, and Juniper combined with Gunsight, class 5 ridge traverse there. Likely a calico hills trip from the north too, willow springs I think. . . We'll see what time and energy actually allows for. . . talk is cheap. . . Cheers

The wind chill factor just thrashed me starting at about 12,500' and soon after the wind changed and left me no where to find shelter. That when I had bail or risk frost bite. I bailed, lol!
You're a mountain goat for sure. A little nerve racking but thanks for taking me where I could never get to.

Wow!

(Definitely no place for barefooted brats.)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miniguy2mavic