DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Equipment setup question: using wifi tablet connected to cellphone hotspot

captshaq

Reactions
Question to pilots with experience with similar/same setup:

I'm thinking of adding a tablet to the MP controller instead of my iP6s+, but I don't want to invest in a new cellular capable tablet. If I connect an existing wifi-only iPad to the controller, and use my cell phone only as a hotspot for that tablet - am I missing any function over having a cellular tablet? To be clear, the iPhone will only be used as a hotspot, and will not be connected to the controller in any way. I know the wifi-only iPad doesn't have a GPS, but I believe the controller does, correct?

Thanks

Shaq

You will only be missing those features and functions that require GPS in the mobile device such as dynamic home point and follow me modes.

GPS functionality will not transfer from the mobile hotspot. But otherwise, the drone will function fine.

Note that the controller does not have GPS. The drone does, though.

Thanks beachcoming. That's very helpful. In that case, I may opt for the cellular tablet after all...

You do not need a cellular capable tablet, but the tablet should be GPS capable. As mentioned above, the RC does not have a GPS receiver so in able to use the functions that require it the tablet needs it. There is no reason to have a cellular function on the tablet. I fly with my tablet in airplane mode which would disable cellular functions if it had it.

You do not need a cellular capable tablet, but the tablet should be GPS capable. As mentioned above, the RC does not have a GPS receiver so in able to use the functions that require it the tablet needs it. There is no reason to have a cellular function on the tablet. I fly with my tablet in airplane mode which would disable cellular functions if it had it.

Thanks Mossiback. Unfortunately, Apple iPad Wifi-only doesn't seem to have the GPS component at all, only the cellular version does (the iPad indeed doesn't need the cellular service to be active or even initially activated for the GPS to work).

Shaq

You could use your iPad for most functions and then switch to your iPhone if you happened to want to use any of those special modes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98