DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Erratic flying forward

Chris

Reactions
Ok maybe I’m being dramatic, but I just purchased a new Air 2S with smart controller yesterday. I had owned a mavic 2 pro but sold it, and I never had this happen when flying forward. When flying forward with the air 2S the drone flys up at the same time, is there a setting that i am missing that is causing this? I am in “P” mode on the controller but i can’t for the life of me push the stick forward without it also flying slightly upwards. Any help would be appreciated!

Ok maybe I’m being dramatic, but I just purchased a new Air 2S with smart controller yesterday. I had owned a mavic 2 pro but sold it, and I never had this happen when flying forward. When flying forward with the air 2S the drone flys up at the same time, is there a setting that i am missing that is causing this? I am in “P” mode on the controller but i can’t for the life of me push the stick forward without it also flying slightly upwards. Any help would be appreciated!
It's not normal.
Is it happening in all directions or have you just noticed it once?
Is this just happening close to the ground or high up too?

It's not normal.
Is it happening in all directions or have you just noticed it once?
Is this just happening close to the ground or high up too?
I’ll have to do a flight tomorrow and see at what elevations it’s doing it. I noticed it this morning when i was flying, this is the first time flying without a POI or some other automatic mode setup, i was just flying around the front yard. and it’s only happening going forward. And it doesn’t keep going up when going forward it’s an ever so noticeable increase in elevation.

My new Air2S did the same thing. Mine was caused by some deformed o-rings partially blocking the downward sensors... it was replaced by DJI and new one did not exhibit the same characteristics.

Joe

My new Air2S did the same thing. Mine was caused by some deformed o-rings partially blocking the downward sensors... it was replaced by DJI and new one did not exhibit the same characteristics.

Joe
No joe don't tell me that lol. How did they diagnose that issue? I mean I understand you saw what it was doing but how did you describe it to them?

On the bottom sensors I noticed small black O-rings across the sensors. I sent pics of the sensors to DJI and they said to box it up and ship it back... they sent me a prepaid shipping label. I received the replacement aboutba week after I sent off my unit... it was a new unit.
Joe

No joe don't tell me that lol. How did they diagnose that issue? I mean I understand you saw what it was doing but how did you describe it to them?
chris
This is what sensor lenses looked like with defective A2s

Joe

Attachments

• 2S fore down sensor.jpg
    2S fore down sensor.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 2S aft down sensor.jpg
    2S aft down sensor.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Ok well i seem to have figured out the problem! I flew this morning and the aircraft was doing what i described forward and backwards, slowly acsending no matter the elevation. I went into settings on the smart controller and turned “off” obstacle avoidance, it stopped doing it. I changed it to “brake” it still didn’t do what I described. Turned it back on to “bypass” and sure enough it started exhibiting it again. I did check the sensors below and mine look good, not the ones you showed Joe so that’s a relief! Any thoughts on this fellow flyers?

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy
Thanks for sharing!??

Reactions: Chris
Ok well i seem to have figured out the problem! I flew this morning and the aircraft was doing what i described forward and backwards, slowly acsending no matter the elevation. I went into settings on the smart controller and turned “off” obstacle avoidance, it stopped doing it. I changed it to “brake” it still didn’t do what I described. Turned it back on to “bypass” and sure enough it started exhibiting it again. I did check the sensors below and mine look good, not the ones you showed Joe so that’s a relief! Any thoughts on this fellow flyers?
Great news Chris... I had a face in hands moment when I read your resolution. I remembered that with my defective sensors, the A2s would not descend. The reason being, it thought there was something below it. Those were Not your symptoms. Mine would "Leap" upwards when I gave it forward right stick... this was from A2s believing it was flying into an obstacle below and In front of it.

So, Chris, sorry I scared you... glad you got it figured out and enjoy the A2s. It has become my "go to" drone for nearly everything (Part 107 Tower inspections excepted).

All the best,

Joe

Mine does this also, similar anyway.

I was in a large open space, but with tall trees casting various long shadows onto the grass.

When I went forward, it went upwards as it came across the shadows on the grass. If I brought it back down, it would just go back up again.

Turning to S mode stopped it, which made me realise it was an obstacle avoidance issue.

Sure enough, the bypass did it, brake option didn’t.

Por este problema me puse en contacto con el soporte de Dji e intentaron no darme respuesta hasta que finalmente me dijeron que estaban intentando solucionarlo en una próximo firmware.

I am having the same issue with mine. I have to turn off obstacle avoidance so I can fly normal. Even in wide open spaces with no obstacles, if obstacle avoidance is one, I cannot descend without it overly hesitating. Sometimes it wont even allow me to descend. Also have the issue with flying forward and it will gain elevation. I will check when I arrive home this evening if I can see the o ring issue. So is the aswer That DJI will replace these o-rings if defective?

So, is this normal behavior for it set to bypass? Or is something actually wrong with it? I noticed the same behavior on mine. Bypass also increased the obstacle warning beeps so when going forward it would shoot up into the air even without an obstacle until I get to a certain elevation. Brake seems to work the way it's supposed to. If its a firmware problem or a sensor problem, I am wondering if DJI needs to know.

Update: I inspected my Air2S and it does indeed show both o rings have come loose and blocking bottom sensors. I have contacted DJI and sending drone in for repair. They claim I am out of my 1 year warranty by 40 days and said I will need to pay. I told them that was not acceptable and this is a fault of the build and directly impacts the safety of the drone. I used the comparison of automobile manufacturers. If they have a safety issue with a car they issue a recall no matter how old the car is and it is fixed at the manufacturers expense. They then replied that upon recieving the drone they may make a special exception to repair the drone under warranty. I will keep updating with progress.
E158D22B-DC70-49CF-B30B-739067A04D01.jpeg445BDDB1-A8B9-434E-A3A8-5C8947568602.jpeg

Despues de otro año mas, he cambiado el drone en dos ocasiones, con el original 3 drones, y sigo con el mismo problema. Sigo peleando con DJI para que me den una solucion pero lo unico que hacen es darme largas y ninguna solucion.

Finalmente DJI a accedido a reembolsarme el 80% del Air 2S y del Controlador RC, eso si adquiriendo con ese dinero otro drone de la marca, y he comprado el Air 3, el cual no hace nada de lo que hacia el Air 2S, va perfecto en todos los sentidos.
No son capaces de dar una solución al tema y prefieren compensar el error del equipo abonando un 80% de su valor teniendo el equipo 2 años justos.
Señores si tienen problemas con algun producto DJI no dejen de reclamar, al final les saldra bien la queja.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78