DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Erroneous Altitude Zone?

MM249

Reactions
I’m a Newbie MM flyer. DJI Fly app is indicating my home - and most of the parks and undeveloped farmland in the surrounding area - are located in an Altitude Zone, but DJI’s Geo Map indicates these areas are more than 2 miles north of the northernmost West-East boundary of a nearby Restricted Zone. The map does not indicate I’m in close proximity to an Altitude Zone, Authorization Zone or Warning Zone. See attached Geo Map screenshot for reference.

I’ve replicated this issue using multiple iOS devices, all using the latest DJI Fly app. An email exchange with DJI FlySafe ([email protected]) resulted in a request for my Lat/Long coordinates and controller S/N. Their reply confirmed I’m not located in an area with restrictions. DJI then instructed me to update firmware and Fly Safe database (both were up to date and didn’t require updating). DJI also asked for a photo screenshot of the ”maximum altitude reached“ at 30m (also attached). DJI has not yet responded to my reply with the requested photo. Any thoughts would be kindly appreciated.

Attachments

• DBB17C41-4706-418B-9377-2B7AA3804290.jpeg
    DBB17C41-4706-418B-9377-2B7AA3804290.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DCD87B05-FE90-473F-808B-6A67866A75F7.png
    DCD87B05-FE90-473F-808B-6A67866A75F7.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 47
The bowtie areas are a pain. I wish DJI would get rid of them. You can unlock them, but its also a pain if you fly there often.

Thank you sir. I’m pretty confused about this, as I’m not located within the bow tie. I’ve read that DJI has added arbitrary/unpublished Altitude Zone restrictions outside of the bow tie areas (oriented to the runway flight path), but I haven’t been able to confirm this. As it stands now I’m limited to 100ft altitude.

You mentioned there is a way to unlock AZ restrictions. Can you please elaborate. I have some basic familiarity with the LAANC request process, but I’m unsure if that applies to hobby flying outside of a Restricted or NF zone.

Last edited:
Sure, I love my drone, but I didn't know it had "erroneous zones".

Sorry if this isn't helpful for you, but since you said you were a newer pilot, there are a good handful of things that limit to 30m (including the Altitude Zone).

Couple of others -
  • Did you adjust the maximum altitude allowed in the app? What is it set to?
  • Also, are you logged into the fly app? I believe 30 meters is also the limit if you are not logged into the app.
  • Do you have anything attached to the drone? (Let extensions, prop guards, etc...)? The mini goes into Payload mode fairly easily and has has a 30 meter height restriction then.
  • In the screenshot, your GPS signal looks find, so I don't think that is an issue, but 30m is also the limit with no signal (and beyond vision sensing).
Again, I apologize if you are already certain that it is an altitude zone issue, just wanted to get all the options out there if you aren't.

I’m a Newbie MM flyer. DJI Fly app is indicating my home - and most of the parks and undeveloped farmland in the surrounding area - are located in an Altitude Zone, but DJI’s Geo Map indicates these areas are more than 2 miles north of the northernmost West-East boundary of a nearby Restricted Zone. The map does not indicate I’m in close proximity to an Altitude Zone, Authorization Zone or Warning Zone. See attached Geo Map screenshot for reference.

I’ve replicated this issue using multiple iOS devices, all using the latest DJI Fly app. An email exchange with DJI FlySafe ([email protected]) resulted in a request for my Lat/Long coordinates and controller S/N. Their reply confirmed I’m not located in an area with restrictions. DJI then instructed me to update firmware and Fly Safe database (both were up to date and didn’t require updating). DJI also asked for a photo screenshot of the ”maximum altitude reached“ at 30m (also attached). DJI has not yet responded to my reply with the requested photo. Any thoughts would be kindly appreciated.
Hey mate did you ever fix this problem? I'm in Scotland and have an issue that sounds the same. I bought a used Mavic Mini and can't go about 30m and beyond 50m in distance. I get asked for a 'real-name authentication'.

So far I have tried:
- 3 different accounts/logins
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the fly app (including emptying the cache)
- Reformatting the memory card
- Refreshing the latest firmware on the drone and controller
- Downgrading the firmware on the drone

None of this has fixed the problem.

I've had multiple emails with DJI but they so far haven't been able to give me an answer. I really would like the drone to be able to fly further. Thanks!

Also interested in any resolution. What phone are you using? I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro. Seems to have started happening to me when I done the Fly Safe update a few weeks ago.
I got back in business when I installed the app on an old android phone I had. Maybe an issue with the iPhone app?

Reactions: fey
Also interested in any resolution. What phone are you using? I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro. Seems to have started happening to me when I done the Fly Safe update a few weeks ago.
I got back in business when I installed the app on an old android phone I had. Maybe an issue with the iPhone app?

Hello! This seems to be a common issue I read. I’m in Belgium and nowhere near a no fly zone. I’m just not able to fly my drone further than 30m altitude and 40 m away.

Same problem here. MA2 + iPhone. Latest software & firmware. In a non restricted zone. Tried everything. Reset. Logout. Cleared caches on iPhone. .... When flying sometimes first battery no prob. After a battery change. Again 30m restrictions. ???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User