DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 1 Eruption, lava flow and partly melted drone

Helgi

Reactions
I flew my small Mavic Air over volcano eruption and lava flow at Fagradalsfjall in Iceland. The resault was melted bottom of my drone like you can see in the end of the video.

Wow, that is one toasty marshmallow.

Mother Nature can be beautiful and destructive at the same time.

Thanks for sharing. ?

Wow. Fantastic footage.

Although there are a lot of conversations about what's legal without a Part 107, I think I might have tried to sell the footage tfr at least enough to buy a replacement drone.

It's great that you were able to bring it back. But are there now functions or sensors that don't work?

Reactions: eaglesurfing
I flew my small Mavic Air over volcano eruption and lava flow at Fagradalsfjall in Iceland. The resault was melted bottom of my drone like you can see in the end of the video.
Nice video. You have a lot of courage to fly your drone into such a hostile environment. Will DJI Care Refresh cover a replacement for a meltaway? :)

That's quite incredible! So see the power of Earth in action. Guess you should have been a bit higher to avoid the burn. Don't know what you used to edit and upload to YT, but it's quite jerky on any movement. I have my YT rez set to 1080p, and the clarity is pretty good, but the stuttering is distracting. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, since YT further compresses uploads. I'd also recommend editing out the rotating frames, and any directional adjustments, to end up with a smooth, overall, presentation. But, it's fantastic to see such an event...great courage risking your drone.

Like flying too close to the sun. Can’t believe the battery didn’t explode. Or melt the camera. WOW!

Beautiful scenery gutsy flying

Reactions: bobj151 and Helgi
Beautiful video, I too can't believe the Mavic air didn't fall out of the sky. I also saw the other drone at 2:23 on the left even lower that you. I wonder how that one made out? It also makes sense that the battery already having the highest temperature, melted first.

Last edited:
Wow. Fantastic footage.

Although there are a lot of conversations about what's legal without a Part 107, I think I might have tried to sell the footage tfr at least enough to buy a replacement drone.

It's great that you were able to bring it back. But are there now functions or sensors that don't work?
107 does not apply in Iceland...

in the USA they ALWAYS TFR/NOTAM volcanic activity

Other countries.... not so much

Reactions: Helgi
Out of all the footage I've seen of that eruption, you sir, have the absolute best video. Truly amazing. Especially that it lasted that long.

Incredible footage.
I was really hoping a few times you’d stop and just film looking down at the flow / lava bursts now and then.
It’s one if the things (like ocean breakers) that is mesmerising to watch from a stationary position briefly, and a bit of slow motion occasionally is also nice then too.
Still, I bet the excitement as euphoric and it would be difficult not to just want to get out there and move from here to there, oh look over there !!
Not to mention the worry of the temperature !!
Well done.

Wow. Fantastic footage.

Amazingly everything works correctly and luckily seems no sensor is damaged. But propably been very close to.

Nice video. You have a lot of courage to fly your drone into such a hostile environment. Will DJI Care Refresh cover a replacement for a meltaway? :)
Propably not. But yes, tough drone. ?

I know of four drones that ended in the creater and few with melted compas or got lost for any reason near the eruption. It is a big risk to fly there... specialy if the flight is low over the flowing lava.???

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
WOW, very nice footage, not going to be critical, just that you had such determination to fly over such a scene, ,I would be shaking in my boots.
Good Job, thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661