DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EU Drone Operator Registration - Simple & Quick

So I'm now legal to fly in the EU.
I took the test on the EASA site in Luxemburg since they had it in English.

After several rounds of hair pulling with insurance companies I found out from an agent at my Credit Union (USAA) that my homeowners covers me! Yay! Just as an FYI even the websites that pimp drone insurance will NOT insure hobbyists.
Created an account and portal in Germany, uploaded my passport and filled in personal info as well as insurance.
After a glitch or two I was issued a German ID to put on the drone. The page actually comes from their test page strangely enough - it was a bugger to find.

One last question for folks that fly in the EU...
I see pics of drones with a simple label maker type strip with their number on it.
Last time I went I have to have a permanently affixed fireproof government approved tag.
In fact - I bought them here and they sell both the tags and the ID cards (smaller than printing the cert)

So are the metal tags no longer required?

I did mine on line at Liechtenstein, all in English and free of charge, cheers
Any chance you could pass that link along? I am having a heck of a time trying to register via Liechtenstein's portal. I'm going to Portugal next week, and their website is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate if you don't understand Portuguese, or have access to their weird citizenship digital verification system. Thanks!

Any chance you could pass that link along? I am having a heck of a time trying to register via Liechtenstein's portal. I'm going to Portugal next week, and their website is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate if you don't understand Portuguese, or have access to their weird citizenship digital verification system. Thanks!
So but no this was over two years ago so don’t have the link but I think you can take it online with the Irish authorities, cheers Len

I posted here a while back on exactly how to get EASA certification and then what you have to do to get your Operator ID. I used the Luxembourg link for EASA then you have to deal with whatever authority in the country you plan to fly in. For me it was Germany.
So - first you get EASA certified.
Then you provide all necessary information such as insurance policy # and whatever else they ask for in the country you will be flying in.
Note that unless you live in the EU you will find it impossible to obtain insurance. In my case it turns out my homeowners will cover "recreational equipment" liability.

I wanted to add to this thread with my experience.

I did my A1/A3 Open UAS test through thr Switzerland civil aviation authority.

In French.

Since my French is very basic, I was helpfully assisted by Google Lens, which I pointed at the screen to translate most of it. After 40 questions, I passed with 87% - I had skipped many of the videos as I was hurrying to get home from work. However, I could have paused and finished any time within 30 days.

The test was free, and the ID verification was instant.

The odd thing was you needed to set up an account with a Swiss government access program, CH-Login. It's easy enough but you can only do it from Europe (I'm in Canada and it refused to connect me).

I used a VPN and entered my Canadian phone number for the 2FA. Whenever I logged in, it wouldn't send the 2FA code for the first instance, I would have to wait the 30s to tell it to send the code again, and it would work fine that time.

The whole thing was done in one brief afternoon and I'm now authorized to fly in Switzerland. They adopted the EU standards, and if I understand correctly, the EU either recognizes their permits now, or will after a transition period.

Apparently you are supposed to register in Europe where you first arrive, and I'll be in Switzerland in April, going directly from the UK (where I also have a Flyer ID and Operator ID).

Last thing was insurance. My renters insurance 3rd party liability is $2m. I specifically asked if it covers my use of drones, they said yes, there are no exclusions for recreational drone use.

Reactions: Richard R
I wanted to add to this thread with my experience.

The odd thing was you needed to set up an account with a Swiss government access program, CH-Login. It's easy enough but you can only do it from Europe (I'm in Canada and it refused to connect me).

I used a VPN and entered my Canadian phone number for the 2FA. Whenever I logged in, it wouldn't send the 2FA code for the first instance, I would have to wait the 30s to tell it to send the code again, and it would work fine that time.

The whole thing was done in one brief afternoon and I'm now authorized to fly in Switzerland. They adopted the EU standards, and if I understand correctly, the EU either recognizes their permits now, or will after a transition period.

Apparently you are supposed to register in Europe where you first arrive, and I'll be in Switzerland in April, going directly from the UK (where I also have a Flyer ID and Operator ID).

Last thing was insurance. My renters insurance 3rd party liability is $2m. I specifically asked if it covers my use of drones, they said yes, there are no exclusions for recreational drone use.
Any EU country can issue the Operator ID and you won't want to wait as it can take some time.
The Swiss are notorious sticklers you might be better off using France or Belgium.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Already have the Operator ID, was super quick!

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I've just completed registration as a Class 1/3 UAS operator in Ireland, which is also accepted in all 27 European Union member countries. [Edit: Four non-EU countries also honor the EASA registration: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway.] You can register in any member country; I chose English-speaking Ireland. Registration is required for all drones weighing more than 250 grams or having a camera. The EU countries use a common set of regulations, though individual countries may add additional requirements.

The process was straightforward, the registration is good for five years, and the cost was $33. After setting up an account at the Irish Aviation Authority website, there was an online training film and a 40-question exam. If you have difficulty passing the exam, you really shouldn't be using a television remote control.

The Class 1/3 registration covers drones weighing less than 500 g and 25 kg, respectively, for recreational operations. (There's an exemption from the new class identification label requirements for drones weighing less than 500 g and built before 1/1/2023.)

This page describes the registration and testing process:

MySRS IAA User Portal - Use this to register.

Summary of EU UAS regulations:

Irish Aviation Authority UAS pages:
Hi

My first post here!!

I have UK drone ID/passed tests but for me to resit for EU license (want to use my drone on holidays) tests, do I have to be resident of Ireland? Or can I use my UK address?

Hi

My first post here!!

I have UK drone ID/passed tests but for me to resit for EU license (want to use my drone on holidays) tests, do I have to be resident of Ireland? Or can I use my UK address?
There was no problem for me getting licensed in Ireland using my U.S. address. As long as the Good Friday Agreement holds, I'd expect that you wouldn't have any problem registering as a Brit.

(I'd insert a smiley face, but I avoid using emojis.)

Reactions: winmeister6
I did the Icelandic one: Flydrone

Available in English and the questions are way simpler than the UK BMFA and CAA tests. Cost 5500ISK (about £33), valid for 5 years.
Really appreciate the information guys. I have a few weeks before going on holiday, so I will register and take test soon!

I've just completed registration as a Class 1/3 UAS operator in Ireland, which is also accepted in all 27 European Union member countries. [Edit: Four non-EU countries also honor the EASA registration: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway.] You can register in any member country; I chose English-speaking Ireland. Registration is required for all drones weighing more than 250 grams or having a camera. The EU countries use a common set of regulations, though individual countries may add additional requirements.

The process was straightforward, the registration is good for five years, and the cost was $33. After setting up an account at the Irish Aviation Authority website, there was an online training film and a 40-question exam. If you have difficulty passing the exam, you really shouldn't be using a television remote control.

The Class 1/3 registration covers drones weighing less than 500 g and 25 kg, respectively, for recreational operations. (There's an exemption from the new class identification label requirements for drones weighing less than 500 g and built before 1/1/2023.)

This page describes the registration and testing process:

MySRS IAA User Portal - Use this to register.

Summary of EU UAS regulations:

Irish Aviation Authority UAS pages:
Hi

This maybe old thread, but I have registered and verified with IAA. Done the training, 40 questions tests and paid 30 euros.

So, what happens next? Do I get drone user ID from IAA?

Can you help??

Hi

This maybe old thread, but I have registered and verified with IAA. Done the training, 40 questions tests and paid 30 euros.

So, what happens next? Do I get drone user ID from IAA?

Can you help??
You must have received correspondence from IAA after registering and completing the test.

You must have received correspondence from IAA after registering and completing the test.
I have : IAA number that looks like IAA-XXXX-XXXXXX and proof of training: IRL-RP-0000xxxVTA.

Also payment Succeeded ref numbers..

I haven't received email or any messages on MySRS dashboard with certificates or anything.

So, I wasn't sure, if I should received certificate with all the ID numbers etc.

That's why I ask. Thanks in advance.

I have : IAA number that looks like IAA-XXXX-XXXXXX and proof of training: IRL-RP-0000xxxVTA.

Also payment Succeeded ref numbers..

I haven't received email or any messages on MySRS dashboard with certificates or anything.

So, I wasn't sure, if I should received certificate with all the ID numbers etc.

That's why I ask. Thanks in advance.

I'm certainly not an authority. The pdf file I received from EASA/IAA is titled "Proof of Completion of the Training." I'm not aware of anything else that is necessary.

EDIT: See post #37 below.

Last edited:
Like in UK you will also need a Operators ID to be able to fly Drone abroad (EU)

Reactions: MS Coast
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have 'proof of completion of the training' ID with some ref numbers and also had to pay another 30e for the 'Operator ID' registration. So it costs me 2 x 30 euros, but got the job done. I only need to put on IAA's Operator ID, which is mixed up 16 digits of numbers and letters!

Hmm, strange that you had to pay twice - my Icelandic one gave the proof of training (ISL-RP-<12 characters>) certificate and the operator registration (ISL<13 characters>) for the one 5500ISK/£32/€30 payment and test. The documentation shows that ISLxxxxxxxxxxxxx number as being what I need to put on my drone (which I put on the opposite side to my UK ID, which is GBR-OP-<12 characters>).

Hmm, strange that you had to pay twice - my Icelandic one gave the proof of training (ISL-RP-<12 characters>) certificate and the operator registration (ISL<13 characters>) for the one 5500ISK/£32/€30 payment and test. The documentation shows that ISLxxxxxxxxxxxxx number as being what I need to put on my drone (which I put on the opposite side to my UK ID, which is GBR-OP-<12 characters>).
I am quite surprise that I had to pay for the test then when I had to register for operator registration ID, there was another 30e. But, what I am confused is that I have FPVUK's operator ID and Flyer ID, which comes with 5 million EU wide insurance but if I have to use same UK drone in EU with different ID number, what happens to the insurance cover of FPVUK? Does anyone know please?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne