DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

European flight range for the Air

You range seems to pretty much match my experience down here in outer Sydney, I’m seriously thinking of buying a pair of those cheap parabolic reflectors off eBay to try unless I can find a way to force FCC mode.id be happy with just 2km range but want a stable video feed

You range seems to pretty much match my experience down here in outer Sydney, I’m seriously thinking of buying a pair of those cheap parabolic reflectors off eBay to try unless I can find a way to force FCC mode.id be happy with just 2km range but want a stable video feed
I would have thought you would already get FCC mode in Oz? The CE mode only kicks in when in Europe, otherwise it should be FCC mode by default. That said, it's pretty hard to get your 4Kms unless you have perfect conditions, as many US range tests are also showing limts way short of 4Kms...
Be good to know how you get in if you do get any extenders; I never found a difference when I tried them the once on my old phantom 3S.
Cheers,
Ian

I would have thought you would already get FCC mode in Oz? The CE mode only kicks in when in Europe, otherwise it should be FCC mode by default. That said, it's pretty hard to get your 4Kms unless you have perfect conditions, as many US range tests are also showing limts way short of 4Kms...
Be good to know how you get in if you do get any extenders; I never found a difference when I tried them the once on my old phantom 3S.
Cheers,
Ian

CE mode applies in Oz too, and a few other places across the globe.

I’d be interested in seeing what the range is like on 5.8 ghz. My Spark does better on that frequency as it’s less congested.
This is the only thing stopping me getting the Air and selling my Mavic Pro. I don’t want crazy distances, but I do want a stable connection.

For those who asked for the test to be locked at 2.4Ghz, here's today's test.... Perhaps the extra reach of 2.4Ghz is a little over-rated?

how did you 'lock' into 2.4ghz - when I look at the wireless section in the DJI Go app I see an auto or custom option, but this seems to relate to channels with the 2.4ghz range, I can't see any other options regarding the frequency in there ?

CE mode applies in Oz too, and a few other places across the globe.

I’d be interested in seeing what the range is like on 5.8 ghz. My Spark does better on that frequency as it’s less congested.
This is the only thing stopping me getting the Air and selling my Mavic Pro. I don’t want crazy distances, but I do want a stable connection.
Well that's bad. Why would they impose the CE Europe restriction in non-EU countries? .... but I'm not sure it makes a massive difference TBH. As you saw from my first video, (which I wish I hadn't done on such a windy day), the range is pretty similar for 5.8 as well as 2.4. But of course both these are in open areas away from intereference.....
how did you 'lock' into 2.4ghz - when I look at the wireless section in the DJI Go app I see an auto or custom option, but this seems to relate to channels with the 2.4ghz range, I can't see any other options regarding the frequency in there ?
As Cut Aussie says, in the channels section, I just selected a different channel in the 2.4 GHz section and it locked. Very simple; no restart needed... Cheers, Ian

Hello Guys. I can't seem to find the 5.8 option on my app. Iv tried using custom, deleted the app, used a VPN...All to no avail.. Is there a hack around this as I can't seem to fly my drone more than 50 meters off the ground before it loses signal (I'm flying in Africa). Also, did Dji release Mavic aires that don't have the 5.8 as advertised .. thanks to anybody who responds..I'm really worried

Hello Guys. I can't seem to find the 5.8 option on my app. Iv tried using custom, deleted the app, used a VPN...All to no avail.. Is there a hack around this as I can't seem to fly my drone more than 50 meters off the ground before it loses signal (I'm flying in Africa). Also, did Dji release Mavic aires that don't have the 5.8 as advertised .. thanks to anybody who responds..I'm really worried
You don't have it as an option; it switches automatically as it sees fit. You can try locking one of the channels instead of leaving it on auto, as some of the channels are 5.8 and that's the only way to actually lock it.
It's the same model Mavic sold everywhere, the power just auto adjusts based on your location.
If you're getting very poor reception, there may be interference, and of course, make sure the little legs on the drones front arms are folded out (they're tne drone's antenna), and also make sure your remote's antenna are always at right-angles to the drone's position, never pointing directly to the drone.
cheers
Ian

Hey guys I'm in the UK. Today I got a real good run, 4060 meters and then back to home point. For the last thousand I only had one bar. Not one video glitch or low signal warning. The only warning I got was I have enough battery to return home. I cancelled it and kept going for a few mins. Then chicken out and returned home.

full

Reactions: droneloverair
Hey guys I'm in the UK. Today I got a real good run, 4060 meters and then back to home point. For the last thousand I only had one bar. Not one video glitch or low signal warning. The only warning I got was I have enough battery to return home. I cancelled it and kept going for a few mins. Then chicken out and returned home.

full
That is impressive... And crazy how the max distance varies....The other day I was down near Avebury and wanted to fly over a white horse on a hill in th distance; it flew straight out to 2300 metres with no interference or drop outs.... Other times i'ts struggled at 400 metres....

Ian

Reactions: SaOuGenLa
That is impressive... And crazy how the max distance varies....The other day I was down near Avebury and wanted to fly over a white horse on a hill in th distance; it flew straight out to 2300 metres with no interference or drop outs.... Other times i'ts struggled at 400 metres....

Ian
I know exactly what you mean, also yesterday on one flight I only got 900m and complete loss of signal and the MA did disconnected. Had to wait a lonnnnng mintue before the RTH message kicked. Looked on Google maps for a good location and took it to where I got 4060. Apart from going over an electric train line. It was completely clear between me and drone

I am a new user of Air, I have it like a month. Soory for noob questions :)

Are all the Mavic Air sold around the world the same? So if you go to USA the drone switches to better/stronger wifi signal? I am from EU and max range I went till now is 900m. I can't imagine that it could reach 4km as advertised.

I am thinking of buying a 4hakws raptor XR or SR antenna.

I am a new user of Air, I have it like a month. Soory for noob questions :)

Are all the Mavic Air sold around the world the same? So if you go to USA the drone switches to better/stronger wifi signal? I am from EU and max range I went till now is 900m. I can't imagine that it could reach 4km as advertised.

I am thinking of buying a 4hakws raptor XR or SR antenna.
Maybe start a new thread. This one has been dormant for 2years.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc