DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everyone is getting their own militarized drone these days (its easy).

Of all the posts here, what I find most interesting is that it is the group in Yemen that is claiming responsibility. That is surely inconvenient to the boys in DC that are hell-bent on going to war with Iran...

SA can be programmed into the satellites, it doesn't have to be hardware. Also, it’s possible to make it regionally (a large one) available, and It was possible to get clearance to be given secure key codes to turn it off when using GPS units with that feature. I used this with some Magellan units my company had for a project we did at Edwards AFB back in the 90’s.
I also had experience with GPS back in the 80's, in fact, I was the Air Force action officer to obtain Congressional approval to purchase the first 28 satellites. SA was a big deal back then but the FAA was forced to implement a design that measured SA position misinformation and then sent corrections to aircraft as an alternate to MLS. Even if SA was implement regionally, it would be very easy to implement a WAAS type correction system to correct for SA. The US government officially stated about 2002 that SA would never again be turned on.

I can neither agree or disagree that SA could be reprogrammed in software back into the satellites. However, the official US government position is that SA technology was not implemented in the latest generation of satellites thus that would imply more than just software.

Or as others have stated, just use the Russian GLONASS satellite navigation system.

Reactions: AMann
I also had experience with GPS back in the 80's, in fact, I was the Air Force action officer to obtain Congressional approval to purchase the first 28 satellites. SA was a big deal back then but the FAA was forced to implement a design that measured SA position misinformation and then sent corrections to aircraft as an alternate to MLS. Even if SA was implement regionally, it would be very easy to implement a WAAS type correction system to correct for SA. The US government officially stated about 2002 that SA would never again be turned on.

I can neither agree or disagree that SA could be reprogrammed in software back into the satellites. However, the official US government position is that SA technology was not implemented in the latest generation of satellites thus that would imply more than just software.

Or as others have stated, just use the Russian GLONASS satellite navigation system.

You’re right, GLONASS and about 5 other international systems are available for alternative satellite navigation, including China, Japan, India and Europe. However, the US GPS system’s selective availability system can and has been enabled in parts of the world for national security purposes.

It really changed the game for many of us since Bill Clinton's law in 2000 enacting turning off SA, but as we’ve seen with the NOTAMS we get, they can just as easily jam all of it on regional basis as well.

Last edited:
Not for recreational purposes. You register yourself as an individual. Nowhere on the registration form do you put the SN of your UAV, therefore the drone itself is not actually “registered”.

What if the rebels were blowing up the oil fields just for fun? Maybe they were off the clock? ;)

Causation is not correlation.
You know that, I know that but reality does not play a part in discussions (removed by moderator) :)

A firend of mine living in Birmingham UK used to carry a "Special Pebble" that warded off Tigers. It was pointed out there were no Tigers in Birmingham (UK). The reply: Obviously not, I cary the Special Pebble......

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't believe any of this, this is the most obvious false flag operation since 9/11.

No - any recognised terrorist group should be made to register their drones and take a test to make sure they understand the air laws for the country they are going to operate in.
Don’t forget making it a rule to put the registration number on the outside of the drone. We wouldn’t want first responders to have to touch it before knowing what terrorist built it.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Don’t forget making it a rule to put the registration number on the outside of the drone. We wouldn’t want first responders to have to touch it before knowing what terrorist built it.
That's a very good point.

Also, they should be made to carry id cards so if stopped and searched they must identify themselves to the authorities.

At the very least, they should be wearing high viz safety vests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronarium

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh