DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Are Governments Increasing Drone Restrictions

Sneaking in the drone into the UAE is NOT an option at all, the consequences are too harsh. But they do offer to leave your drone in consignment at the airport and you can pick it up when you go on to your next "drone friendly" destination.
Many years ago when the very first commercially available phone with GPS came out on the market, I bought one. When I arrived in Cuba (I am Canadian), I was told that GPS devices were not allowed into the country and offered to keep it at the airport. So I reluctantly obliged, thinking this was the last time I saw my phone, but it was still there when I left the country.
Consignment? Mean like they try to sell it if you don't come back and get it?

I have spent the better part of a year in planning an upcoming photo/video trip this March, 2023 to Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I have written to the civil aviation authorities and completed all of the forms. At the present time, NO DRONES are allowed in the UAE. I will be leaving my Mini 2 (for sure, also my M3) safely at home. Even though I would be allowed to use the drone on further travels (we plan to follow on travel to Israel and Jordan). The drone is supposed to be declared at customs. They will store it for the traveler who can then pick it up on the way out of the country!

What is the reason for this harsh restriction in one of the most drone-photogenic places on earth? Here are copies of some Google postings I was easily able to find.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels targeting a key oil facility in Abu Dhabi killed three people on Monday and sparked a fire at Abu Dhabi's international airport. Emirati police identified the dead as two Indian nationals and one Pakistani.Jan 17, 2022

Drone attack in Abu Dhabi claimed by Yemen's rebels kills 3

https://apnews.com › article › business-dubai-united-arab-...
Timeline: UAE under drone, missile attacks | Houthis News
https://www.aljazeera.com › news › timeline-uae-drone-...

Feb 3, 2022 — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels triggered a fuel tank blast at a storage facility in Abu Dhabi that killed two Indians and a ...

Houthi drone attacks expose UAE vulnerabilities, say analysts

https://www.aljazeera.com › news › houthi-drone-attack...
Jan 18, 2022 — A deadly drone attack by Yemen's Houthis on the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has exposed the country's vulnerability, analysts say, ..

So now, off the shelf drones are now becoming weaponized! They are becoming a tool of war by both sides in a current war.

The consequences of illegally sneaking my mini 2 into Dubai would be 1 year in jail and $10,000 fine!
Dubai: Following the recent ban on flying drones in the UAE, those who violate the ban can face up to five years in prison and a minimum fine of Dhiram 100,000, the UAE Public Prosecution tweeted on Wednesday.

So what would YOU do if you were me? Because of the weaponization of off the shelf drones by war fighters and terrorists, governments are being forced to deal with the potential threat.I don't like this anymore than you guys do but I am also being realistic and not packing my drone for this trip.

Dale
Miami
Unfortunately now a lot of consumer drones are being weaponised , some by terrorists some by a countries armed forces. This will only result in more and more country leaders that are afraid of their own population, wanting to ban drones, yes a lot of these countries are very photogenic but we have to abide by the rules of that country that we want to visit, or just go elsewhere . Cheers Len

I have spent the better part of a year in planning an upcoming photo/video trip this March, 2023 to Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I have written to the civil aviation authorities and completed all of the forms. At the present time, NO DRONES are allowed in the UAE. I will be leaving my Mini 2 (for sure, also my M3) safely at home. Even though I would be allowed to use the drone on further travels (we plan to follow on travel to Israel and Jordan). The drone is supposed to be declared at customs. They will store it for the traveler who can then pick it up on the way out of the country!

My problem on a trip to India this month. Import of Drones are currently banned so I'll be leaving it at home😪😪

What is the reason for this harsh restriction in one of the most drone-photogenic places on earth? Here are copies of some Google postings I was easily able to find.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels targeting a key oil facility in Abu Dhabi killed three people on Monday and sparked a fire at Abu Dhabi's international airport. Emirati police identified the dead as two Indian nationals and one Pakistani.Jan 17, 2022

Drone attack in Abu Dhabi claimed by Yemen's rebels kills 3

https://apnews.com › article › business-dubai-united-arab-...
Timeline: UAE under drone, missile attacks | Houthis News
https://www.aljazeera.com › news › timeline-uae-drone-...

Feb 3, 2022 — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels triggered a fuel tank blast at a storage facility in Abu Dhabi that killed two Indians and a ...

Houthi drone attacks expose UAE vulnerabilities, say analysts

https://www.aljazeera.com › news › houthi-drone-attack...
Jan 18, 2022 — A deadly drone attack by Yemen's Houthis on the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has exposed the country's vulnerability, analysts say, ..

So now, off the shelf drones are now becoming weaponized! They are becoming a tool of war by both sides in a current war.

The consequences of illegally sneaking my mini 2 into Dubai would be 1 year in jail and $10,000 fine!
Dubai: Following the recent ban on flying drones in the UAE, those who violate the ban can face up to five years in prison and a minimum fine of Dhiram 100,000, the UAE Public Prosecution tweeted on Wednesday.

So what would YOU do if you were me? Because of the weaponization of off the shelf drones by war fighters and terrorists, governments are being forced to deal with the potential threat.I don't like this anymore than you guys do but I am also being realistic and not packing my drone for this trip.

Dale
Miami
Bring a Go pro and when you get there, buy a bunch of balloons and string. Set the go pro to repeated photos or video and let the balloons attached to the go pro, go as high as they can. All the while the go pro will be taking pics or video. Just rotate the balloons in circles . I'm sure you will find some great shots in your bunch of photos and video.

Bring a Go pro and when you get there, buy a bunch of balloons and string. Set the go pro to repeated photos or video and let the balloons attached to the go pro, go as high as they can. All the while the go pro will be taking pics or video. Just rotate the balloons in circles . I'm sure you will find some great shots in your bunch of photos and video.
That'll take their mind off drones for a minute. Especially that china one they just shot down.

Like a kid at the fair, balloons in tow ?
That's make for some great ground footage too.

Especially that china one they just shot down.

Wow, just read the news on that, did that once safe to do so over the ocean Thumbswayup

Like a kid at the fair, balloons in tow ?
That's make for some great ground footage too.

Wow, just read the news on that, did that once safe to do so over the ocean Thumbswayup
What gets me is that they allowed the "balloon" to fly over sensitive sites at any altitude and distance yet regulate drone enthusiasts with height and distant regulation. I get it, we need some regulation... but it seems that we bent the rules on this one including allowing it to shut down some airports.

Last edited by a moderator:
What gets me is that they allowed the "balloon" to fly over sensitive sites at any altitude and distance yet regulate drone enthusiasts with height and distant regulation. I get it, we need some regulation... but it seems that we bent the rules on this one including allowing it to shut down some airports.
They considered it to be a violation of airspace, and were watching it as it was watching us, so it didn't go unnoticed, but didn't do anything to it until it went over the high seas.

Reactions: Torque
This is completely and totally incorrect. The Ukrainians are using DJI drones to drop bomblets
The OP specifically referenced the drones given to the Houthis by Iran and was focused on the UAE. That is why I said "the group you refer to is given their drones by a state actor." I personally do not think we should look to the UAE criminal justice system for guidance on drone regulation or anything else. But if I may ask this: if we know that a Mavic drone is used in Ukraine to drop bomblets on the battlefield, what should that mean for drone pilots of 249+ gram drones in USA? Are there more regulations and laws needed? Is the risk of 5 to 20 years in federal prison for weaponizing a drone insufficient in your judgment? Or should we just ban them all like in the UAE and get it over with?

The OP specifically referenced the drones given to the Houthis by Iran and was focused on the UAE. That is why I said "the group you refer to is given their drones by a state actor." I personally do not think we should look to the UAE criminal justice system for guidance on drone regulation or anything else. But if I may ask this: if we know that a Mavic drone is used in Ukraine to drop bomblets on the battlefield, what should that mean for drone pilots of 249+ gram drones in USA? Are there more regulations and laws needed? Is the risk of 5 to 20 years in federal prison for weaponizing a drone insufficient in your judgment? Or should we just ban them all like in the UAE and get it over with?
I know your messg was meant for someone else, but I think if we can keep Our gun ownership rights, I don't think we will see our drone use and ownership rights affected any time in the near future.

A drone and a quadricopter are not the same.

Military use drones are just like the delivery ones? Not too terribly profitable.

Governments are not always brilliant when it comes to legislation.

From a historical perspective, the Wright Brothers tries to sell the army on using the airplane for battle. At first it was dropping bricks on somebody's head then it was mounted guns that shot bullets in between propeller turns. Here we go again with drones.
Probably you do not have international news in you area ?
You should leanr what Ukrianian people do with little drone everyday.

If it's anything like the air force the military operates differently than civilian operation and are under different rules.

The OP is WHY!!! Why? Because they like to invent and "fix" non-existant problems. Just to keep their jobs!!

The Ukrainian drone army.

Ukraine-drone-army-low.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada