DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Are Governments Increasing Drone Restrictions

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I have spent the better part of a year in planning an upcoming photo/video trip this March, 2023 to Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I have written to the civil aviation authorities and completed all of the forms. At the present time, NO DRONES are allowed in the UAE. I will be leaving my Mini 2 (for sure, also my M3) safely at home. Even though I would be allowed to use the drone on further travels (we plan to follow on travel to Israel and Jordan). The drone is supposed to be declared at customs. They will store it for the traveler who can then pick it up on the way out of the country!

What is the reason for this harsh restriction in one of the most drone-photogenic places on earth? Here are copies of some Google postings I was easily able to find.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels targeting a key oil facility in Abu Dhabi killed three people on Monday and sparked a fire at Abu Dhabi's international airport. Emirati police identified the dead as two Indian nationals and one Pakistani.Jan 17, 2022

Drone attack in Abu Dhabi claimed by Yemen's rebels kills 3

https://apnews.com › article › business-dubai-united-arab-...
Timeline: UAE under drone, missile attacks | Houthis News
https://www.aljazeera.com › news › timeline-uae-drone-...

Feb 3, 2022 — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels triggered a fuel tank blast at a storage facility in Abu Dhabi that killed two Indians and a ...

Houthi drone attacks expose UAE vulnerabilities, say analysts

https://www.aljazeera.com › news › houthi-drone-attack...
Jan 18, 2022 — A deadly drone attack by Yemen's Houthis on the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has exposed the country's vulnerability, analysts say, ..

So now, off the shelf drones are now becoming weaponized! They are becoming a tool of war by both sides in a current war.

The consequences of illegally sneaking my mini 2 into Dubai would be 1 year in jail and $10,000 fine!
Dubai: Following the recent ban on flying drones in the UAE, those who violate the ban can face up to five years in prison and a minimum fine of Dhiram 100,000, the UAE Public Prosecution tweeted on Wednesday.

So what would YOU do if you were me? Because of the weaponization of off the shelf drones by war fighters and terrorists, governments are being forced to deal with the potential threat.I don't like this anymore than you guys do but I am also being realistic and not packing my drone for this trip.

Dale
Miami

I would do what you're doing and not take any drones. Yes, it sucks, but I like freedom and my $$ more. Visiting is one thing - being REQUIRED to stay 5 years, at least, is another. You have shared photos you took with your handheld cameras so I have no doubt you will come back with some spectacular photos from this trip.

I would do what you're doing and not take any drones. Yes, it sucks, but I like freedom and my $$ more. Visiting is one thing - being REQUIRED to stay 5 years, at least, is another. You have shared photos you took with your handheld cameras so I have no doubt you will come back with some spectacular photos from this trip.
Glad you agree- sometimes you just have to give in.

I have spent the better part of a year in planning an upcoming photo/video trip this March, 2023 to Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I have written to the civil aviation authorities and completed all of the forms. At the present time, NO DRONES are allowed in the UAE. I will be leaving my Mini 2 (for sure, also my M3) safely at home. Even though I would be allowed to use the drone on further travels (we plan to follow on travel to Israel and Jordan). The drone is supposed to be declared at customs. They will store it for the traveler who can then pick it up on the way out of the country!

What is the reason for this harsh restriction in one of the most drone-photogenic places on earth? Here are copies of some Google postings I was easily able to find.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels targeting a key oil facility in Abu Dhabi killed three people on Monday and sparked a fire at Abu Dhabi's international airport. Emirati police identified the dead as two Indian nationals and one Pakistani.Jan 17, 2022

Feb 3, 2022 — A drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels triggered a fuel tank blast at a storage facility in Abu Dhabi that killed two Indians and a ...

Jan 18, 2022 — A deadly drone attack by Yemen's Houthis on the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has exposed the country's vulnerability, analysts say, ..

So now, off the shelf drones are now becoming weaponized! They are becoming a tool of war by both sides in a current war.

The consequences of illegally sneaking my mini 2 into Dubai would be 1 year in jail and $10,000 fine!
Dubai: Following the recent ban on flying drones in the UAE, those who violate the ban can face up to five years in prison and a minimum fine of Dhiram 100,000, the UAE Public Prosecution tweeted on Wednesday.

So what would YOU do if you were me? Because of the weaponization of off the shelf drones by war fighters and terrorists, governments are being forced to deal with the potential threat.I don't like this anymore than you guys do but I am also being realistic and not packing my drone for this trip.

Dale
Miami
What would I do?
Leave my drones at home and enjoy my travel without the additional worries.
Seems understandable why they've banned drones.

Reactions: YVRGUY and GFields
Yeah, better leave your drones at home.
I also agree that these restrictions are unreasonable to some degree.

Reactions: GFields
Weaponising of drones certainly makes a good news story in the Russia / Ukraine war, certainly raises concerns of authority and the general public I feel . . . and it's really a no brainer for terrorist organisations to take them up.

Like guns, drones can be used for good or bad intentions, and now the cat is out of the bag probably not much is going to put it back in.
Let's hope it doesn't get to that in the majority of countries.

Besides that, I feel that FPV pilots diving the big buildings in Dubai ect must raise the ire of authorities there.
The amount of YouTube videos of these flights is incredible, and there must have been many building strikes / crashes with not so experienced FPV pilots trying to imitate the pilots that make their videos successfully.

Like other things, motor vehicle use, gun use, etc, bad drone pilots will still sneak their drones in, make their illegal flights, and just the law abiding will be punished in the main with more draconian laws and rules.

If memories of a vacation trip consist primarily of UAS recreational photos and videos exclusively of major tourist sites with permission....and any country that will not allow an exemption with rules that would be followed implicitly, if it were me, I would skip that country in a heartbeat!

I would not say "off the shelf." The group you refer to is given their drones by a state actor. These drones are very different from a Mavic Mini. But certainly here in the USA the FAA has attempted to conflate the risk posed by the two as exactly the same (if the Mini has a prop guard pushing it over 249 grams).

1675395439735.png

1675395459195.png

1675395480436.png
dji-mini-3-pro-drone-propeller-guard2_2400x.jpg

A drone and a quadricopter are not the same.

Military use drones are just like the delivery ones? Not too terribly profitable.

Governments are not always brilliant when it comes to legislation.

From a historical perspective, the Wright Brothers tries to sell the army on using the airplane for battle. At first it was dropping bricks on somebody's head then it was mounted guns that shot bullets in between propeller turns. Here we go again with drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prop Wash

Dale
Miami
We are very fortunate living in peaceful North America, other countries including the ones you list aren’t as privileged. It would be wise to take their laws and restrictions very seriously, you would not want to be detained for violations, rules we consider casually can have serious consequences.

Reactions: Torque
Dale have you considered having the drone mailed to you at your next port of call after the UAE? I would you could sweet talk your hotel into helping out.

Reactions: JimSteadman
Sneaking in the drone into the UAE is NOT an option at all, the consequences are too harsh. But they do offer to leave your drone in consignment at the airport and you can pick it up when you go on to your next "drone friendly" destination.
Many years ago when the very first commercially available phone with GPS came out on the market, I bought one. When I arrived in Cuba (I am Canadian), I was told that GPS devices were not allowed into the country and offered to keep it at the airport. So I reluctantly obliged, thinking this was the last time I saw my phone, but it was still there when I left the country.

Sneaking in the drone into the UAE is NOT an option at all, the consequences are too harsh. But they do offer to leave your drone in consignment at the airport and you can pick it up when you go on to your next "drone friendly" destination.
Many years ago when the very first commercially available phone with GPS came out on the market, I bought one. When I arrived in Cuba (I am Canadian), I was told that GPS devices were not allowed into the country and offered to keep it at the airport. So I reluctantly obliged, thinking this was the last time I saw my phone, but it was still there when I left the country.
I don’t think anyone suggested sneaking anything into the country.

I would not say "off the shelf." The group you refer to is given their drones by a state actor. These drones are very different from a Mavic Mini. But certainly here in the USA the FAA has attempted to conflate the risk posed by the two as exactly the same (if the Mini has a prop guard pushing it over 249 grams).

View attachment 160200

View attachment 160201

View attachment 160202
This is completely and totally incorrect. The Ukrainians are using DJI drones to drop bomblets

Reactions: Madmyke and Torque
I get it from their point of view, and it is much like some places here. Yeah, they are great photo spots, but the scene would be ruined by the use of drones. Starts with one drone and after time it would be a constant buzz of aircraft. From tourist climbing Mayan temples to taking nakey pics on the pyramids sometimes one bad apple does spoil the batch. We have all seen the YouTube vids of the rogue operators and it is said that is not all pilots but sadly it is enough.

BTW, did you know in only Mexican citizens can fly a drone in Mexico.

Reactions: Torque
As we say here Dale-discretion is the better part of valour. Not that you were planning on being aggressive or brave but just a shame. For the time being we’ll need to live off pix of these beautiful countries from other sources. We loved our visit to Dubai and would go back any time (but not with my drone)!

View attachment 160200

View attachment 160201

View attachment 160202

If memories of a vacation trip consist primarily of UAS recreational photos and videos exclusively of major tourist sites with permission....and any country that will not allow an exemption with rules that would be followed implicitly, if it were me, I would skip that country in a heartbeat!
I only agree with you partially. I would say that it would certainly color my decision on where to visit and spend my money on my next adventure. But it would not be a game changer if I really wanted to see that country badly enough...e.g.: it would not dissuade me from going there.

For those of you reading this thread, try watching one of the many You Tubes on Dubai and decide for yourself how well the city can be captured with aerial imaging. It is crying out for drone photography, For me, I will have to document it like I never owned a drone with my other modalities such as OM4 gimbal, iPhone video with new 14 Pro max and its new built in "action" video mode with better stabilization, and of course, timelapse photography with my DSLR. Hopefully, you will all eventually see the product I come back with.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi